Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Duly noted. I checked his injury history and he's missed 18 games, so he's probably no better than TP. But he might be an upgrade to Black if we can get him for cheap.

I think Tommy Compton has an opinion about that ;) at least, I hope he does, lol.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 07:38 PM ----------

Could Jackson replace Fletcher inside? Is that feasible? If so, Orakpo, Riley, Jackson, and Kerrigan is 1990s Steelers good!

that's been one of the biggest debates/good idea fairy attacks some of us have had this offseason. I think he could, but I don't think he'll be able to beat out anyone we have behind London: Muckelroy (who I was high on when he came out), Riley, Keenan or Bryan Kehl... Everyone in the LB corps has got some competition with Vic So'oto who is a sleeper who can play both Inside and Out as well and he has outstanding ball skills. Pretty raw, and he's been on the Packers practice squad this season before we snatched him up. LB will be an interesting spot again this year... especially if London retires.

We definitely need to pick up a beast for our secondary. Brandon Merriwether(sp) looked great and made our defense look awesome when he played that one game. It was like our defense was a different team with him there so when hes back that will be good, but we need to draft some corners, although i do like what crawford brings to the table

White guy scenario

Sign Brian Hartline and Danny Amendola (Moss would probably be out

Garcon/Hartline/Amendola as the 2 WRs and the slot guy. With Hankerson, Morgan, Robinson off the bench.

well, thank goodness you aren't the general manager/coach. Moss should and WILL be back. he is still a very great wide reciever, and he can still ball out for our offense. i could see him retiring a redskin later on

well, thank goodness you aren't the general manager/coach. Moss should and WILL be back. he is still a very great wide reciever, and he can still ball out for our offense. i could see him retiring a redskin later on

I don't think anyone has an issue with Moss's production as much as his contract hopefully he'll restructure and can come back in a similar capacity. He was Mr. 3rd down for us this year.

He needs to take a big pay cut. No doubt he will. I love Moss and think if anyone deserves to be on this ride from the Gibbs II/Zorn era... he does.

I really hope we sign woodhead an let helu or royster go let them battle to decide...woodhead would be perfect compliment to morris...

I wouldn't waste any FA money on a RB unless it's THT. Royster improved on 3rd down and Helu is a forgotten weapon and I think would be the perfect change of pace to AlMo if he comes back healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a linebacker in round 1 in 2014. In the meantime, you try to find later round or UDFA developmental guy(s) to groom under Fletcher.

Keenan Robinson is already here, guys. He's the guy. But just like with Perry Riley, it will take a while for people to realize it.

2 problems with this IMO.

1. What team can afford to have two O lineman with huge salaries?

I can't think of a better place to spend your money than on your offensive tackles (other than QB). Nothing adds more value to an offense than a tackle that can handle good pass rushers one on one on a regular basis. It frees everything else up.

I really hope we sign woodhead an let helu or royster go let them battle to decide...woodhead would be perfect compliment to morris...

Woodhead is possibly one of the most underrated players in the NFL because the Patriots don't use him consistently, and because he's a small white running back. Lets face it. In reality, he's a less-used, younger Sproles. He'd be perfect here on 3rd downs and in the no-huddle. And he'd be cheap if the Pats don't bring him back, which is a definite possibility since they have Vareen and Demps to fight for that role.

I wouldn't waste any FA money on a RB unless it's THT. Royster improved on 3rd down and Helu is a forgotten weapon and I think would be the perfect change of pace to AlMo if he comes back healthy.

we also have Keiland Williams and Tristan Davis hanging around, who could fulfill Shanny's underdog RB need

We could definitely upgrade the pass blocking of our RB group, that was a pretty serious weakness this year, along with TE once Davis went out. THT would be good for that role though, he's a complete back, albeit less talented as a pure runner than some on our roster.

So I wouldn't mind throwing vet min at a blocking RB this off season. And someone needs to teach Niles Paul how to block.

You know what I'd actually do after resigning Davis, Jackson, young, kory and Alexander? I'd restructure hall/cut him..restructure moss and London and give Ryan clady average of top 10 lt salaries to play RT. he would honestly be the one major fa I would love because If Trent ever went down...we would have a sure fire lt right there that could fill his shoes in without a dramatic drop off. We seen against the bengals what it would look like if Trent went down...it was a field day. Clady would immediately be the best rt in the game and the best backup lt in the nfl. When we are talkin about protecting our franchise qb...we need him to have the best line cause we can't afford our rt getting abused left and right every down FORCING him to run.

Clady turned down a 5 year $50 million/$28 million guaranteed from Denver last season to protect Manning's blindside. Why would he accept left to move to RT on a team with a potential question at QB?

I have full confidence that RGIII is going to bounce back strong but maybe he misses a few games next season and we aren't a playoff contender. In the mean time Denver is already a SB contender. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Clady is going to become the highest paid LT in football this year.

I can't think of a better place to spend your money than on your offensive tackles (other than QB). Nothing adds more value to an offense than a tackle that can handle good pass rushers one on one on a regular basis. It frees everything else up.

This.

Imagine being able to stonewall the NFL's best pass rushers, no matter which side they come from. Right now, our left side is rock solid. The right, however, needs work. If we want to be able to run less zone read/option, we'll need to get much stronger on the right side.

I really dislike Royster being a 3rd downer. Some of the blocks he let slide this year I could not. Also find him to be rather ineffective on majority of his runs. Helu is needed as change of pace. But they need to figure out their third down package and who will be blocking the QB out of the RB position.

I think Woodhead stays in NE.

Hey guys, I tried putting this together.

FARTs2013.jpg

FARTs, lol.

But, *ahem* in seriousness, I used the master list at rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13?pg=2), got rid of the total scrubs and guys who would be 30+ as of August, then looked at injury data at http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2013, and then checked number of starts at wikipedia. Some of the information may not be 100% accurate.

I realize Harris, Justice, Richardson, and Otah are probably not worth our time, but included them anyway, since they at least have some starter chops, even if they are not really good. Otah is special too, he's someone who, last I heard, is trying to get back into the game after being and injury liability and just plain bad for years. If he somehow does get back in football shape, he might be worth a quick peek (though nothing should be expected of it of course).

Anyways, the three guys who stand out to me as potential targets are Baker, Smith, and Beatty. All three have had some issues in the past, but also have some talent. They also won't cost top dollar like Long, Albert, or Clady.

It is early January right now so things are still very cloudy as far as player availability goes but I feel very sure that by the time free agency rolls around Ryan Clady will definetly not be leaving the Broncos (there is no way a team lets a franchise left tackle walk away for nothing), would the Redskins let Trent get away for nothing? No, and neither will the Broncos, so everyone might as well stop talking about him. I would love to have Jarius Byrd here at free safety like everybody else his is a playmaker and everything we need on defense right now but I also can't see why Buffalo wouldn't franchise him for 6 million a year. They drafted him and are bringing in an aggressive defensive coordinator, he isn't going anywhere. I think the Redskins will add some good players this off-season but there not going to get Clady or Byrd. I think there will be some good cap casualties in the next few months also from other teams.

Another one for safeties:

FAS2013.jpg

The market actually doesn't look too terrible. Safeties aren't completely interchangeable, but they can usually be, so I figure almost any of these guys would be welcome. Again, age is as of August 31, 2013.

Everyone loves Byrd-man, obviously, and Goldson would be good too. I was not aware of how good Quin was, he's definitely someone we should pursue, if he escapes.

Chung is weird because the Pats mess around with injuries and reporting of them, he's listed as questionable a bunch on KFFL, and I know he sat out some of those games, but I'm not sure which.

To address what NIKKI8 said above about Clady, and FAs who are likely to be re-signed in general, while I understand that Clady, Long, Byrd, etc. have basically zero chance of coming here, I think they're still worth looking at, and discussing, so long as we don't get carried away. For example, Byrd is pretty much guaranteed to be franchised (Safety franchise tag is like 6.5M, a pretty low number for how good Byrd is), but he's still worth discussing I think. We just have to recognize that Byrd is probably not coming here.

That UFA list is pretty terrible. If we didn't have the cap situation, I'd let all of 'em go except for Alexander and Rob Jackson.

I agree with you but I would add Cedric Griffin to my keep list. He was solid and reliable when he was playing.

I really dislike Royster being a 3rd downer. Some of the blocks he let slide this year I could not. Also find him to be rather ineffective on majority of his runs. Helu is needed as change of pace. But they need to figure out their third down package and who will be blocking the QB out of the RB position.

I think Woodhead stays in NE.

I agree completely. Helu is an excellent change of pace back, and from what I've seen does the same exact thing as woodhead...but in my opinion, better and he is more explosive. Helu is a great 3rd down back because of his ability as a receiver. He makes a lot of great plays after receptions. But as far as using someone for short yardage, you're not going to get better than Morris as a battering ram.

Helu remains one of my favorite players, and when he gets off IR, he's going to be back to his ole explosive self. He'll be an excellent compliment to our offense.

Archived