Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Terribly impractical, think about this from the prospective of the defense. Opposing QB just went down, and they're replacing him with a guy who cannot throw for crap. Everything is going to be on the ground. The defense stuffs 8 in the box, and laughs as we can't move the ball. Tebow tries to pass, and unless we get Tebow magic, we're more likely to watch INTs than TDs.

Also, the thing to remember is that the zone read and pistol are just a part of the playbook, not the whole thing. We can and do run traditional plays with RGIII. So if RGIII went down we'd simply run the traditional plays, not the ones calling for the QB to run. We wouldn't be changing the offense wholesale so much as shrinking it a bit.

Not to mention, our offense will likely become more traditional as we go forward, this year's offense was a "bridge" offense, not the norm.

So with Cousins, we basically just cut out some of the plays where the QB has to be highly mobile, but the offense stays largely the same, not to mention we can still go through the air. With Tebow, sure, we can keep the mobile QB plays, but we have to toss all the pass plays.

It's just a bad idea overall. Cousins and the rest of the offense do fine. We actually did ok in Atlanta, the problem was the 2 INTs Cousins threw, which was to be expected for his first time playing a game in the NFL. Play that same game again, Cousins and the offense probably does fine, and we might even win it.

This years offense is only a bridge offense because RG3 got hurt like I said he would. If he would have made it through the season healthy we would be running it again next year.

Terribly impractical, think about this from the prospective of the defense. Opposing QB just went down, and they're replacing him with a guy who cannot throw for crap. Everything is going to be on the ground. The defense stuffs 8 in the box, and laughs as we can't move the ball. Tebow tries to pass, and unless we get Tebow magic, we're more likely to watch INTs than TDs.

Also, the thing to remember is that the zone read and pistol are just a part of the playbook, not the whole thing. We can and do run traditional plays with RGIII. So if RGIII went down we'd simply run the traditional plays, not the ones calling for the QB to run. We wouldn't be changing the offense wholesale so much as shrinking it a bit.

Not to mention, our offense will likely become more traditional as we go forward, this year's offense was a "bridge" offense, not the norm.

So with Cousins, we basically just cut out some of the plays where the QB has to be highly mobile, but the offense stays largely the same, not to mention we can still go through the air. With Tebow, sure, we can keep the mobile QB plays, but we have to toss all the pass plays.

It's just a bad idea overall. Cousins and the rest of the offense do fine. We actually did ok in Atlanta, the problem was the 2 INTs Cousins threw, which was to be expected for his first time playing a game in the NFL. Play that same game again, Cousins and the offense probably does fine, and we might even win it.

I can agree with that. Just saying having him as a back up wouldn't hurt. Plus he can do more than just back up the qb. Trick plays with his at fullback fake punts as well as the things I already stated. Just a little something to remember. .. teams knew he couldnt pass, stacked the line and still took a team beyind one game in the playoffs...js the kids a winner period

I personally think that Tim Tebow would be a great asset for our team. His college offense was predicated around the pistol offense. If we could have had him as a backup in the Seattle game the defense would have had to play honest.I think Kurt Cousinsis a good quarterback but when your offense especially the offensive line is used to a mobile qb in the middle of a game it's hard adjust. don't get me wrong I'm not at all saying Tim Tebow is a better passer or a better runner then either of the quarterbacks we have. All I'm saying is he's a better relief to step in and help finish a game.

This almost made me gag. I do not want him anywhere near this team.

Raheem Morris verbally committed to the Skins 1 year ago today. I don't know the exact contract sign date but it must be coming up soon. Hope they lock him up for another year.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-01-29/sports/35439672_1_kyle-shanahan-defensive-coordinator-redskins-offensive-coordinator

"Morris on Jan. 11 orally accepted the Redskins’ offer for a one-year deal."

Raheem Morris verbally committed to the Skins 1 year ago today. I don't know the exact contract sign date but it must be coming up soon. Hope they lock him up for another year.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-01-29/sports/35439672_1_kyle-shanahan-defensive-coordinator-redskins-offensive-coordinator

"Morris on Jan. 11 orally accepted the Redskins’ offer for a one-year deal."

Huge off-season necessity

This years offense is only a bridge offense because RG3 got hurt like I said he would. If he would have made it through the season healthy we would be running it again next year.

Not really, Trent Dilfer was discussing how the offense we were running was a bridge offense way back before the Baltimore game. Theoretically, we could keep running this same offense, but I don't think that was ever in the cards. The injuries, if they do anything, merely expedite our implementation of traditional concepts, not force them when we didn't want them.

I personally think that Tim Tebow would be a great asset for our team. His college offense was predicated around the pistol offense. If we could have had him as a backup in the Seattle game the defense would have had to play honest.I think Kurt Cousinsis a good quarterback but when your offense especially the offensive line is used to a mobile qb in the middle of a game it's hard adjust. don't get me wrong I'm not at all saying Tim Tebow is a better passer or a better runner then either of the quarterbacks we have. All I'm saying is he's a better relief to step in and help finish a game.

He's a distraction. We don't need distractions. This football team is close. No thank you at all. If we get anyone of that build it needs to be Nick Florence, who backed up Robert at Baylor.

I agree with your point about the offense, but I think timing wise, the only person it's truly going to effect is the running back. Most everything else is the same as if the boot/inside-outside zone stretches were being run including the routes.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 07:55 PM ----------

Why?

I've had two ppl say no and act like im crazy but no reasoning behind it...

it's not as character because all in all is a good person and a team player. It's not his game play because he actually plays the game decently for what you're asking him to do. So why not?

He is a distraction and an innacurate passer. Two things we don't need on this team.

Like I said im not saying to bring him in as the #2 bring him in just to be a closer if (god forbid) RG3 goes down in the middle of a game. Changing your offense in the middle of a game is hard on a team. Timing blocking and everything you've practiced all week goes out tue door. But if he can finish a game for us and give the team a week to practice with a completely different qb, he's done what we needed him to do.

lifeisgr8, when a team get's close to being a contender, each of the 53 roster spots becomes valuable. You saw three players who were cut contribute elsewhere this year and I believe five or six players were added to other teams 53 or practice squads. Next year will there will be even more competition. So, bottom line up front, we won't have room for a "closer" on this squad. If we bring in a backup who can run the Pistol, it needs to be someone who can play if Robert isn't ready, Kirk can't play, and who can reliably start for this football team. That's the only way someone should get a roster spot.

The battles at Linebacker and Defensive Line will be epic this offseason/pre-season. If we have our way (and land a few players from the OP of this thread) then the Secondary and possibly running back and receiver will have some fantastic battles as well. Players want to play here. We don't need Tebow and we don't need his baggage, especially with Robert coming off of an injury.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 08:03 PM ----------

The bridge offense was implemented because it was the only way to mask the O-line problems and use his entire skill set

I think we'll continue to see elements off it, but I think you'll see a lot more stretch and boot action next season. AlMo and Helu will be leaned on heavily while Robert gets his legs back, I suspect. And a RT who can pass block will also add to the playbook ;).

If it was just Tim Tebow we were getting, I would love to have on our team in any capacity although I am not keen on him being our primary backup at qb. However, the media attention he garners would be a serious drawback and its partly Skip Bayless's fault. In fact, I am not comfortable with the fact that he also loves RG3.

I definitely wouldn't toss a penny at a WR unless it was to resign Morgan. Am I right in thinking that he signed a 1 year deal as a FA and is therefore a FA again? If this is the case then he is the only WR I would consider paying this offseason. Sure, adding some of the big names would make us the best receiving core in the NFL. What would that lead to? We have real holes on defense that have to be shored up. And objectively speaking, even WITH negotiating Moss and Hall down, do we really have the money for 2-3 guys?

I think we'll be damn lucky to sign one big guy and one middle of the pack guy. And I think that has to be in the defensive backfield, perhaps both of them actually. I like our receiving group and I even like our OLine (gasp!). They're not great but they definitely are better then over paying for someone who will come in, take a year to really gel and fit in, play at a high level for 2 more, and then start to tail off, all while making 8+ mil a year.

Morgan (and Meriweather) signed a 2 yr deal, T. Jax, C. Griffin and Madieu signed for 1.

I've consistently put up FS as our biggest need (unless we cut Hall), but I've been thinking more about the o-line. I like our interior starters and backups (especially if Lichtensteiger returns), and we could probably do worse than Polumbus/Hurt/Compton battling it out at RT. What really concerns me is backup LT.

I'd look at the 2nd/3rd round (or perhaps FA) for a tackle that can play both sides. Start them at RT and slide them over if Trent goes down.

Assuming we re-sign some key guys, we have fairly capable backups in most areas (d-line, LB, QB, TE, G, C and SS). Backups at corner, LT, FS (need a starter too), RB and WR probably have the biggest question marks, and losing Trent to injury would probably be our biggest dropoff in play.

BTW, anyone see we had the 2nd most games missed by starters? At least three of the guys missing a lot of time were studs for us too (Davis, Orakpo and Garçon). Considering how this team fared, I'd say we have some quality depth on this squad.

Really hope we're able to re-sign our key guys, or our depth could take a pretty big hit. If we do so and add a couple pieces (FS! RT!), this team's gonna be dangerous.

BTW, anyone see we had the 2nd most games missed by starters? At least three of the guys missing a lot of time were studs for us too (Davis, Orakpo and Garçon). Considering how this team fared, I'd say we have some quality depth on this squad.

Really hope we're able to re-sign our key guys, or our depth could take a pretty big hit. If we do so and add a couple pieces (FS! RT!), this team's gonna be dangerous.

Saw that earlier, that gives a great hope about what the actual ceiling of this team is.

on this Tebow thing. OMG I can't believe it was even mentioned.

I feel very strongly after what happened this year the pistol, if not scrapped all together, it will be used very very seldom from now on. You want to know how our offense is going to play next year? Just watch the Browns game. PA, misdirection, stretch running plays. That is the offense, especially if RGIII can't start the season. The pistol will probably be used 2 or 3 plays a game just to give the defense something to think about.

PA will be very effective because Morris will be the focus of a lot of Defense game plans. That is why its important to have a capable backup to Morris. To me this guy is Hightower if he can come back 100% healthy next year. He is a great blocker, a good 3rd down receiver, another weapon we didn't have this year. Helu can also be a solid RB catching the ball.

Why on earth do people still have this bizzare notion of turning Trent into a RT?? What the hell?????

I don't believe the poster was actually suggesting that Trent Williams should or would be moved to the RT position. The point was that the only way to sign Clady to Washington is to make him our LT, pay him as the top paid LT in football (which I believe he will be), and move our already dominant LT Trent Williams to the right side. In other words it wouldn't make a lot of sense given that teams work with limited resources.

Ryan Clady is one of if not the best LT in the league. He is not going to play RT anywhere unless he is grossly, grossly overpaid. I can't even imagine a scenario in which he leaves Denver. As I mentioned earlier he already risked injury by turning down a 5 year $50 million contract with $28 in guarantees. He is going to be a very wealthy man when FA starts and it's not going to be from playing RT anywhere.

---------- Post added January-12th-2013 at 10:28 AM ----------

on this Tebow thing. OMG I can't believe it was even mentioned.

I feel very strongly after what happened this year the pistol, if not scrapped all together, it will be used very very seldom from now on. You want to know how our offense is going to play next year? Just watch the Browns game. PA, misdirection, stretch running plays. That is the offense, especially if RGIII can't start the season. The pistol will probably be used 2 or 3 plays a game just to give the defense something to think about.

PA will be very effective because Morris will be the focus of a lot of Defense game plans. That is why its important to have a capable backup to Morris. To me this guy is Hightower if he can come back 100% healthy next year. He is a great blocker, a good 3rd down receiver, another weapon we didn't have this year. Helu can also be a solid RB catching the ball.

I think you're confusing the pistol with the zone read. One does not necessarily require the other. The pistol is just a shallow shotgun with the tailback lined up deep rather than offset to the QB. It allows for the offense to still present the defense with the same look for passing plays or conventional running plays while still allowing the QB to line up in a position which is easier to read the defense.

We could run the pistol 100% of next season without putting RGIII in a single designed run play if the concern is that RGIII will be exposed to injury. The pistol is just a formation like the shotgun, i-form, or others, it isn't a play type even if it does lend to some over others.

I think you're confusing the pistol with the zone read. One does not necessarily require the other. The pistol is just a shallow shotgun with the tailback lined up deep rather than offset to the QB. It allows for the offense to still present the defense with the same look for passing plays or conventional running plays while still allowing the QB to line up in a position which is easier to read the defense.

We could run the pistol 100% of next season without putting RGIII in a single designed run play if the concern is that RGIII will be exposed to injury. The pistol is just a formation like the shotgun, i-form, or others, it isn't a play type even if it does lend to some over others.

Exactly. Watch the 2009-2010 Alabama squads to see a traditional offense run from the pistol. McElroy was definitely not doing any designed runs.

BTW, don't forget Adam Carriker in there as well.

Speaking of which, again off topic, anyone who follows Carriker notice how much he tweets about Pro Wrestling? Dude def doesn't come across as that dedicated to being a football player although I could be wrong. Maybe he needs a career change?

Speaking of which, again off topic, anyone who follows Carriker notice how much he tweets about Pro Wrestling? Dude def doesn't come across as that dedicated to being a football player although I could be wrong. Maybe he needs a career change?

How are tweeting about wrestling and not being a dedicated football player related?

I don't believe the poster was actually suggesting that Trent Williams should or would be moved to the RT position. The point was that the only way to sign Clady to Washington is to make him our LT, pay him as the top paid LT in football (which I believe he will be), and move our already dominant LT Trent Williams to the right side. In other words it wouldn't make a lot of sense given that teams work with limited resources.

Ryan Clady is one of if not the best LT in the league. He is not going to play RT anywhere unless he is grossly, grossly overpaid. I can't even imagine a scenario in which he leaves Denver. As I mentioned earlier he already risked injury by turning down a 5 year $50 million contract with $28 in guarantees. He is going to be a very wealthy man when FA starts and it's not going to be from playing RT anywhere.

Furthermore, he won't be playing for us.

Shows where his mind is at. Like an obsession for him.

Dunno, just a random thought that occurred to me.

I talk all day about the Redskins, it doesn't mean I'm not dedicated to my career in Architecture. People have hobbies. Given the way he performs on the field and in the weight room I'm not concerned. If it was a Devin Thomas type player that already has a few red flags it would be one thing but Carriker is a professional.

I talk all day about the Redskins, it doesn't mean I'm not dedicated to my career in Architecture. People have hobbies. Given the way he performs on the field and in the weight room I'm not concerned. If it was a Devin Thomas type player that already has a few red flags it would be one thing but Carriker is a professional.

I hear you.

I guess it seems a bit much at times. He is entitled to chat about whatever he wants. I actually think his love for wrestling is kinda cool, just seemed to be obsessed by it a little.

See, I think that for FA to be effective you have to put a plan in place with FA that goes in conjunction with your plan for the draft.

As with all plans, it will likely fail and need to be monitored and adjusted. But, I think it's important.

Yeah, I didn't mention Carriker and Meriweather. But I was referring to our 'studs'. These other two aren't in that category for us (though perhaps an argument could be made for Carriker). That's not to say they aren't (potential) difference makers.

Archived