Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Andre Smith fit the zone blocking scheme? This is what you have to think about. The Skins were #1 in rushing for a reason.

Yes. He controls the LOS and does a good job of getting to the second level. The old thought process of "smaller, quicker" linemen being necessary to fit the ZBS is false. Quite simply, you need a guy who can control a man on the LOS, usually using angles, and a guy who can seamlessly get to the second level. Andre Smith can do both. He fits.

If you want to ask if his price tag justifies the fit he has, that's a whole new ballgame :)

This is the team list of FAs:

[color="yellow"]Free Agents - Washington Redskins

Name	            Pos.       Years	2012Team	2013Team	Rating	Snaps
Sav Rocca	    P	       6	WAS	        UFA	        +13.3	0
Darrel Young	    FB	       3	WAS	        RFA	        +9.3	335
Chris Baker	    DI	       3	WAS	        RFA	        +4.5	206
Rob Jackson	    ED	       3	WAS	        RFA	        +2.3	610
Fred Davis	    TE	       5	WAS  	        UFA	        +2.1	413
Nick Sundberg	    LS	       3	WAS	        RFA	         0.0	0
Bryan Kehl	    LB	       5	WAS	        UFA	         0.0	0
Jammal Brown	    OT	       8	WAS	        UFA*	         0.0	0
Rex Grossman	    QB	      10	WAS	        UFA	         0.0	0
Chris Cooley	    TE	       9	WAS	        UFA	        -0.6	92
Cedric Griffin	    CB	       7	WAS	        UFA	        -1.2	369
Logan Paulsen	    TE	       3	WAS  	        RFA	        -1.7	696
Brandon Banks	    WR	       3	WAS	        RFA	        -2.1	58
Madieu Williams	    S	       9	WAS	        UFA	        -2.6	1063
Kedric Golston	    DI	       7	WAS	        UFA	        -2.7	374
Jordan Black	    OT	       9	WAS	        UFA	        -3.5	108
Chris Wilson	    ED	       5	WAS	        UFA	        -4.4	100
Lorenzo Alexander   LB	       6	WAS	        UFA	        -5.8	308
Kory Lich.          G	       4	WAS	        UFA	        -6.4	1040
Tyler Polumbus	    OT	       5	WAS	        UFA	        -24.1	964[/color]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agents-washington-redskins/

__

A different look at the same team list of FAs

[color="yellow"]Washington Redskins

Pos 	Player 	        FA              Previous Team 	        Current Team
QB 	Rex Grossman 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
FB 	Darrel Young 	RFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
WR 	Brandon Banks 	RFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
TE 	Chris Cooley 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
TE 	Fred Davis 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
TE 	Logan Paulsen 	RFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
P 	Sav Rocca 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
OT 	Jordan Black 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
OT 	Tyler Polumbus 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
OG 	Kory Lich.  	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
OL 	Nick Sundberg 	RFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
DL 	Chris Baker 	RFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
DL 	Kentwan Balmer 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
DL 	Kedric Golston 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
LB 	Lorenzo Alex. 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
LB 	Robert Jackson 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
LB 	Chris Wilson 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
CB 	Cedric Griffin 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
SS 	Madieu Williams UFA             Washington Redskins 	Free Agent
FS 	Tanard Jackson 	UFA 	        Washington Redskins 	Free Agent

player(s) signed elsewhere:

WR-Emmanuel Arceneaux 	Signed 	        Washington Redskins 	New York Jets

[/color]

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2013

__

All the current offseason signed or re-signed:

[color="yellow"]Washington Redskins

Pos 	Player 	             FA Status 	Previous Team 	        Current Team
TE 	DeAngelo Peterson    Re-signed 	Washington Redskins 	Washington Redskins
DL 	Chigbo Anunoby 	     Signed 	Indianapolis Colts 	Washington Redskins
DL 	Phillip Merling      Signed 	Green Bay Packers 	Washington Redskins
LB 	Ricky Elmore 	     Signed 	Cleveland Browns 	Washington Redskins
DL      Dominique Hamilton   Signed     Oakland Raiders         Washington Redskins
FB      Eric Kettani         Re-signed  Washington Redskins     Washington Redskins
CB      Korey Lindsey        Re-signed  Washington Redskins     Washington Redskins
DB      Devin Holland        Signed     Tampa Bay Bucs          Washington Redskins   [/color]

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=Signed+by+Team&y=2013

__

Deangelo Peterson - 1/7/2013: Signed a three-year, $1.485 million contract.

2013: $405,000,

2014: $495,000,

2015: $585,000,

2016: Restricted Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8081/deangelo-peterson

^ A three year contract to Peterson indicates something more than a passing fancy. (at least to me it does).

I can't think of a better place to spend your money than on your offensive tackles (other than QB). Nothing adds more value to an offense than a tackle that can handle good pass rushers one on one on a regular basis. It frees everything else up.

OK then to my second point why would one of the best LT's in the league be willing to switch to the far less glamorous RT position and switch teams to do it? Be like a team trying to sign Mariano Rivera in his prime with the pitch of look we already got a closer we really like, we want you to sign with us to be the set up guy -- and he weighs that pitch among 8 other offers or so that keeps him as the closer.

What's your opinion of Compton KD?

I like him, but I'm nervous about him. The fact that he didn't see time this year when guys went down is scary. I haven't seen him since preseason, so I don't have too much to say on him other than I liked him early in the year... More than Polumbus. But coaches obviously saw something different, or they were hiding him for some reason.

I really like Paul Kruger, Tavares Gooden and Arthur Jones.

Kruger and Jones are Ravens and play in the 3-4. Kruger is an animal off the edge. If he gets what he's worth he can't be on our radar. I'm hoping he gets lowballed.

Gooden has played for Baltimore and San Francisco and has been stuck behind nobodies like: Ray Lewis, Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis. If we go ILB at any point, I'd like this guy to compete with Robinson et al.

Honestly, after further thought, I'd bring back Sean Locklear on a 1 year deal to compete with Polumbus and Compton. In 656 snaps this season, Locklear did not give up a single sack. He will be cheap too because he will be coming off a knee injury.

I'd also look strongly at OT Menelik Watson from FSU. Very very high upside player who has played only 20 games of football in his life. He is a freakish athlete who earned ACC Honorable Mention honors after just his first season playing football. He plays with a nasty streak and is supposedly a very hard worker. He definitely needs to work on technique and should sit for at least a season but this is the type of guy we should be looking for, not the Andre Smiths of the world.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/02/01/Menelik.Watson/index.html

Per roto, the contracts of the re-signs (futures) and new signs:

Deangelo Peterson

1/7/2013: Signed a three-year, $1.485 million contract.

Chigbo Anunoby

Phillip Merling

1/8/2013: Signed a one-year, $715,000 contract.

2014: Free Agent

Ricky Elmore

1/4/2013: Signed a three-year, $1.485 million contract.

Dominique Hamilton

Eric Kettani

Korey Lindsey

1/7/2013: Signed a three-year, $1.71 million contract.

2013: $480,000,

2014: $570,000,

2015: $660,000,

2016: Free Agent

Devin Holland

1/2/2013: Signed a three-year, $1.71 million contract.

2013: $480,000,

2014: $570,000,

2015: $660,000,

2016: Free Agent

Gooden has played for Baltimore and San Francisco and has been stuck behind nobodies like: Ray Lewis, Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis. If we go ILB at any point, I'd like this guy to compete with Robinson et al.

I'm in. I've added him to the OP. Still young at 28 as well. And playing for two of the three premier 3-4 defenses in the NFL is never a bad thing.

http://news.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2013/01/10/in-wake-of-robert-griffin-iiis-injury-rex-grossman-open-to-returning/

In Wake Of Robert Griffin III’s Injury, Rex Grossman Open To Returning

ASHBURN – Rex Grossman would be interested in returning to the Washington Redskins next season – a possibility that may be more likely with Robert Griffin III’s return uncertain following surgery Wednesday on his right knee.

Grossman

Grossman, the Redskins’ starter for much of the 2011 season, was active for just two games this past season but did not play. He served as a mentor for both Griffin and Kirk Cousins during their first year in the league.

“My competitive spirit wanted to play, and I had to replace that with helping out,” Grossman said Monday. “You want to contribute the best you can. You don’t just want to be sitting here watching and not doing anything. The more I can do is basically the approach I took.”

Grossman, 32, signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract with the Redskins in March knowing the team was certain to bring in a rookie quarterback.

He has only played in, and started, every game in a season once in his career – in 2006, when he helped Chicago advance to the Super Bowl.

“I don’t know. I’m just gonna take every opportunity and whatever’s positive on my resume, I’ll accentuate that,” Grossman said. “But for the most part, you just put out there what you can provide and you take the best opportunity.”

I like Rex. he's a good dude and a good teammate.

Honestly, after further thought, I'd bring back Sean Locklear on a 1 year deal to compete with Polumbus and Compton. In 656 snaps this season, Locklear did not give up a single sack. He will be cheap too because he will be coming off a knee injury.

I think he burned a bridge when he was here. He pretty much complained as he was walking out the door. I don't think he'd be an option at this point.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 01:33 PM ----------

What is an "arrow(s)" to the knee next to Phillips? Did he get attacked by actual Robin Hood and his men?

I think he burned a bridge when he was here. He pretty much complained as he was walking out the door. I don't think he'd be an option at this point.

Yeah, he said "worst exit meeting ever" via twitter and when Shanahan was asked about it he said something to the effect of "Well he won't have to worry about that anymore."

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 01:41 PM ----------

Thanks for posting! I've added to the rumors section!

Nah, while I might like Grossman as an eventual coach, you know he's a turnover machine waiting to happen. Frankly, I'd draft another late-round QB -- see what pans out. We went with 2 rooks all but one game last year (and that due to injury) so big deal.

*cough* Nick Florence *cough*

EDIT: I would also give serious consideration to bringing in Josh Johnson for a look. He's been around the league, but I like him for a back-up... a lot.

OK then to my second point why would one of the best LT's in the league be willing to switch to the far less glamorous RT position and switch teams to do it? Be like a team trying to sign Mariano Rivera in his prime with the pitch of look we already got a closer we really like, we want you to sign with us to be the set up guy -- and he weighs that pitch among 8 other offers or so that keeps him as the closer.

If he were to come here (not saying he will), I think Trent would have to step up and say he'd switch to RT. Again, not saying it would happen, but I think that's a more likely way for this scenario to play out.

If he were to come here (not saying he will), I think Trent would have to step up and say he'd switch to RT. Again, not saying it would happen, but I think that's a more likely way for this scenario to play out.

I would put the chances of that happening at a negative number.

Waste of money. Even if the chances were even remotely worth discussion. We need to spend wisely. There are candidates for RT who would fit and cost far less.

He's the only QB on my FA list. :)

I think we showed interest in him last year and this year and Harbaugh was hording. Harbaugh didn't get enough credit for screwing us (and other teams) with Johnson and Kaepernick in the same year. I know we were took Kerrigan thinking we'd get Dalton or Kaep... and then got neither, lol.

From OP:

CURRENT REDSKINS FREE AGENTS:

-David Jones, Cornerback (27)

He was waived in 2012, called a 2012 UFA per Roto. So he's different from the list on the OP of current contract players scheduled for 2013 free agency.

source:

On July 24, 2012, Jones signed with the Washington Redskins.[4] He was released on August 31, 2012 for final cuts before the start of the 2012 season.[5] The Redskins re-signed him on September 25.[6] After playing five games, he was waived again on November 6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jones_%28cornerback%29#cite_note-7

__

source:

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Activate-Sundberg-Clear-Brown/93ba5105-b27a-43cc-a164-7a5f3f1eac7a

The team waived cornerback David Jones and long snapper Justin Snow

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 02:08 PM ----------

... I would also give serious consideration to bringing in Josh Johnson for a look. ...

The Raiders are sizing him up for play, since he was a stones throw away in Sacramento this last year.

Archived