Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/franchise-tag-in-play-for-dolphins-sean-smith/

According to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins will “almost certainly” place the franchise tag on Smith if they can’t sign him long term before free agency commences. Volin does not consider fellow impending free agent Jake Long a realistic franchise-tag candidate after a poor season that ended on injured reserve. Long tore his triceps in early December, and the 2013 franchise number for offensive linemen is expected to be $15.365 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/franchise-tag-in-play-for-dolphins-sean-smith/

According to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins will “almost certainly” place the franchise tag on Smith if they can’t sign him long term before free agency commences. Volin does not consider fellow impending free agent Jake Long a realistic franchise-tag candidate after a poor season that ended on injured reserve. Long tore his triceps in early December, and the 2013 franchise number for offensive linemen is expected to be $15.365 million.

Would he worth taking a shot on? We all saw how Jamal Brown worked out for us when we grabbed a high profiel FA with an injury history. Long is a beast though when healthy.

I agree. He is a strong blocker, stronger than anyone one the roster by far, and familiar with the system. They offered to PUP him and he declined, which he says he wished had done.

I'm hoping we replace helu, toe won't heal, and royster with hightower an woodhead. I think those 2 will an can be more productive in this O with RG...keep drafting late round gems or udfa's skys the limit with zbs an a stronger oline, very excited about the future under the shannys.

Would he worth taking a shot on? We all saw how Jamal Brown worked out for us when we grabbed a high profiel FA with an injury history. Long is a beast though when healthy.

Good question. When did Samuels first tear his triceps?

I think Randy Thomas also dealt with that as a lingering issue.

I'm hoping we replace helu, toe won't heal, and royster with hightower an woodhead. I think those 2 will an can be more productive in this O with RG...keep drafting late round gems or udfa's skys the limit with zbs an a stronger oline, very excited about the future under the shannys.

I think we can get a pick for Helu if Woodhead is brought in. Not sure that Royster is worth giving up on just yet. I like his running style.

For you guys talking about Danny Woodhead....

Steelers waive Chris Rainey

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8832829/chris-rainey-pittsburgh-steelers-waived-arrest-battery-florida

He is a beast return man and a true gadget player. He's the speed back/scat back. Drafted in the 5th this past draft. A lot of draft gurus predicted we would have taken him in the 4th last year.

Shanahan at the Senior Bowl:

Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan said he has been impressed with Florida RB Chris Rainey at the Senior Bowl. "I'm just impressed with the way he's handling himself the first couple of days," Shanahan said. "He's picked things up very quickly. You're never really sure how people adapt to a system. And I'm not his agent, but I do want a little piece of the action."

2012-01-25 05:36:55 | Source: CBSSports.com

He didn't play too much even with some injuries, but there were times he looked good to me. He'll never be the main guy (from the brief bit I saw), but you can tell he has skills to be useful somewhere.

He didn't play too much even with some injuries, but there were times he looked good to me. He'll never be the main guy (from the brief bit I saw), but you can tell he has skills to be useful somewhere.

Did you see why the Steelers released him?

when your dealing with a cap penalty like we have, you need to take some risks. Rainey would be a good risk. He would come much cheaper then Woodhead, or most other change of pace backs. Combine that with the fact he is a solid KR and Shanny coached him at the Sr. Bowl and I think its a smart move. We should be able to get Rainey for less then a million next yr, Woodhead would cost more then that. I like bringing Hightower back too.

rb1 - Morris

rb2 - Hightower

rb3/kr - Rainey

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

Yes its been discussed, but you have to take risks when dealing with this cap penalty. He would come cheaper then similar backs

I agree with the premiss that with Cap penalties that we should be forced to take risks. Other than Darrell Scott, I can't think of a player that we have taken a shot on that had a victim other than themselves. Rainey was arrested for domestic assault... that's different than smoking yourself into a comma in my opinion.

I still like Helu as our 3rd down back. He's still under his rookie contract, he knows the system and as long as his sore achilles have had the proper rest, he will be the 3rd down back to come in and get some carries and has the best hands for catching passes. I mean, he did tie a Redskins record with 14 in a game last year.

You guys keep talking about our RBs needing to block, but with the pistol, the RB's rarely were asked to block with the FB and TE in tight. Maybe on the backside for a rollout, but I think Helu does good enough as a blocker. I'm no on the bring Tim Hightower back bandwagon. I like our young RBs.

We did fine last year with the cap penalty and not getting trouble makers, so why is this offseason different?

Totally agree. Getting a guy with a mean streak (Garcon) is totally different from getting a guy who hits women during the offseason. There are guys with mean streaks (especially DBs) that are available and will be good fits on this football team for the 2013 season. No reason to take a shot on this kid.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 08:46 AM ----------

I still like Helu as our 3rd down back. He's still under his rookie contract, he knows the system and as long as his sore achilles have had the proper rest, he will be the 3rd down back to come in and get some carries and has the best hands for catching passes. I mean, he did tie a Redskins record with 14 last years in a game.

People also forget that Helu was a Pistol running back at Nebraska... and was LETHAL!

Let Hall walk and we have $8 million under the cap and NO dead money. What would you do there?

It would open up a huge hole in the secondary. I'm not a big 23 guy, myself... but he balled his ass off the second part of the season. Depending on how he restructures (ie: dead money on the back end two to three years from now) I'd at least sit down at the table with him. I think Safety was a bigger need than Corner this past season, though an upgrade is definitely needed.

It would open up a huge hole in the secondary. I'm not a big 23 guy, myself... but he balled his ass off the second part of the season. Depending on how he restructures (ie: dead money on the back end two to three years from now) I'd at least sit down at the table with him. I think Safety was a bigger need than Corner this past season, though an upgrade is definitely needed.

When we were 3-6, it looked like Hall and his huge cap number were gone at the end of the year. After the 2nd half, I agree, we need to discuss his number, but having him back would also be good.

One thing that might help is that Hall should be able to be a corner or FS. Depending on how FA goes, what players come free, what we can afford, etc., having a guy who could slide to either spot would be useful. If all the safeties get franchised, but some corners come free, we could sign a corner, and slide Hall to safety.

Regardless, he's good enough to keep on the team, but he's worth maybe half what he's getting, and that needs to be addressed.

Agreed.

Cornerbacks incoming:

FACBs1.jpg

FACBs2.jpg

Also, I couldn't find Kyle Arrington on KFFL for injury history.

I'm a little wary of Grimes, he's really good, but he's getting up there in years, and his health worries me a bit.

Also, I'll probably do one for just their 2012 stats, since some of them were late bloomers, like Tony Carter. He pretty much did nothing until this year, when he suddenly started playing decently for the Broncos.

I like our rbs from a running perspective, Morris is a beast and Helu is plenty fast (Royster strikes me as a good #3) back, though I'd like to see blocking improve. If THT wanted to come back and was healthy that'd be good, I think carrying four backs and then Young as FB would be a good group, and would hedge against injuries.

Archived