Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Just the other day my cousin (Miami fan) and I were going over the FA safeties and I saw Goldson's name on the list. Immediately I said I hoped we'd target him but I'm not sure if we can make it work $ wise.

Yea, the 9ers have a lot of studs on that D. They cant afford to keep them all. But like you said depending on the Cap idk if we would be able to make it work. But he would bring that nasty attitude we haven't really had on D for a while.

1. Chris Houston/ Tracy Porter - CB

2. Greg Jennings - WR

3. Andre Smith/ Jermon Bushrod - OT

4. Desmond Bryant/ Ricky Jean Francois - DE/NT

Feel free to add to my wishlist so far... And no, I am not simply taking the "biggest name and least likely" guys off the board. These are guys who resemble our schemes, and can contribute right away in a position of need. So far, Jennings seems the least attainable.

A few guys we need to resign:

Rocca

Young

Baker

Jackson

Davis

Sundberg

Alexander

Guys worth considering as backup to resign:

Kehl

C. Griffin

Paulsen

LIchtensteiger

Golston

Polumbus

M. Williams

I know those last two will generate a lot of hate. But note I said as a "backup". IF we can find something better for them at a vet minimum price, I'm all for it. But both know our systems and have starting experience. Williams actually had some good moments from time to time after he got past the first few games. Same for Cedric Griffin. I'd lke to replace both; but with our cap penalty situation, both coming back as backups is fine with me. Folks need to remember, that Williams was always intended to be a backup; NOT a starter. Just like Reed Doughty. Fine as a backup; good to start from time to time; but never really intended to be a full time starter.

How much money do you guys think Talib made for himself in NE. Remember in the beginning of the season we were talking about getting him pretty cheap. I think he's been playing very well for the Pats. Going to cost us a little more than we were thinking..

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 01:03 PM ----------

What about Kenny Phillips at safety? The Giants might be willing to let him walk with Stevie Brown's emergence. I want no part of DRC. To soft to play on the defense. He wants no part of tackling.

I think he's a pretty good player but the guy is ALWAYS hurt.

Thanks for making this DC9. I was actually just thinking the other day that a thread talking about Free Agency would be REALLY nice as a distraction from the unfortunate RG3 story.

I think our biggest needs right now to fill during Free Agency goes Saftey, Corner, TE, and RT.

Like everyone else, I'd love Byrd as a potential Safety pickup. However, there seems to be universal belief that he's a good shot at being franchised. I'm actually lower on Goldson as others...I think he benefits a fair bit from the monster defense he's in.

My sleeper pick as potential slightly lower priced option would be Kenny Phillips. I understand the guy has had some injury issues, but I think he makes a difference on that Giant's defense when he's been healthy and playing. He's still rather young and brings some good skill and big hitting to the secondary, though seems to have a better head on his shoulders for the latter part than Landry did. I also know he was a big Sean Taylor fan, so it'd be interesting to see if the thought of playing in the Redskins backfield would be attractive to him.

Does anyone with access to PFF's advanced statistics know where he ranked while healthy?

In terms of Cornerback, I'm anxious to see everyones opinions on this because I don't recognize all the names in the cornerback market quite as well. Ultimately, I'd like to either renegotiate D-Hall OR resign Griffin. I think keeping one of those two would be good. However, we definitely need one more quality starter. Talib is naturally someone talked about often but it's unknown if he'll stick with the Patriots and we all know the risks with him character wise. I think if we can get a legit #1 or top end #2 CB option in FA then a corp of that Free Agent, Wilson, and Hall/Griffin would work well with Crawford and Chase Minnifield providing depth and future starter potential.

I'm all for bringing Fred Davis back, but it depends on the cost. Does anyone have a rough estimate of what the Franchise Tag cap number will be for a TE next year? What other TE's may be on the open market? I wouldn't be comfortable at this point giving Davis a top 5 TE type of contract.

Finally, with RT, I think we're not in horrible shape. Try for Andre Smith, as I think Clady would take too much money and likely wouldn't want to play RT, and if you can't get him then go back to Polumbus and have him compete with Compton and Hurt.

Really, the two biggest areas of concern for this off season is Safety and Corner. I'm fine with addressing TE, RT, MLB, and any other holes through EITHER the draft OR Free Agency. But when it comes to Safety and Corner, I think we need one from both....a quality FA and a higher end draft pick....for both positions. We're that short in terms of quality starters AND depth.

So I guess in summary for me, at this point based on what I know, I'd say….

Top Targets

1. Safety = Jarius Byrd, Bills / William Moore, Atlanta / Kenny Phillips, Giants

2. Cornerback = Brent Grimes, Atlanta / Aqib Talib, New Engalnd / Sean Smith, Miami / Chris Houston, Detroit

3. TE = Fred Davis, Redskins / Dustin Keller, New York Jets

4. RT = Andre Smith, Cincinnati / Tyler Polumbus, Washington

Top Resigning

Offense: Darrell Young, Kory Lichtensteiger, Logan Paulsen

Defense: Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Baker, Rob Jackson

Special Teams: Nick Sundberg, Sav Rocca

I think resigning C Griffin would be a good move. The couple games he played in he was very, very good. I went through the MNF tape against the G Men and he had a hell of a game. Played excellent this past week as well.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 01:09 PM ----------

:ols:

Must have missed something....

She tweeted how Rodgers sucked over and over...

Not sure if I missed this in the thread already.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/08/redskins-sign-five-players-to-futures-contracts/

The Redskins have signed five of their practice squad players to futures contracts, according to the NFL’s transaction report.

By doing so, Washington controls their rights through the offseason, and the players will be able to take part in OTAs.

Signing those futures contracts were nose tackle Chigbo Anunoby, defensive lineman Dominique Hamilton, fullback Eric Kettani, cornerback Korey Lindsey and tight end DeAngelo Peterson.

Last week the Redskins signed linebacker Ricky Elmore and safety Devin Holland to futures contracts.

Love reading all the input on these. DC, thank you VERY MUCH for starting this early. The board has been nearly unbearable since Sunday night. Thanks for the insight, all.

Agreed, man. Thanks for the input from you as well!

Greg Jennings should be in the running for our #2 WR spot... I'd take him over Bowe/Wallace any day of the week.

We would have to pay way too much for these three. Doubt we will be able to write ANOTHER big WR contract with all the CAP penalties. I would rather sign a known lower key talent, like Mike Thomas (who is a free agent) or something like that.

Did he and Raheem butt heads in Tampa? Could be wrong but I thought I remembered that.

I don't really care as long as Raheem butted harder. Talib has been a knucklehead, I just want to know if he's coachable. A lot of cats on here love him and if he'll play for Raheem and the Burgandy and Gold let's see what kind of deal we can work out.

I'm hoping Tanard Jackson can play as well. Can't forget about him.

Thanks for making this DC9. I was actually just thinking the other day that a thread talking about Free Agency would be REALLY nice as a distraction from the unfortunate RG3 story.

I think our biggest needs right now to fill during Free Agency goes Saftey, Corner, TE, and RT.

Like everyone else, I'd love Byrd as a potential Safety pickup. However, there seems to be universal belief that he's a good shot at being franchised. I'm actually lower on Goldson as others...I think he benefits a fair bit from the monster defense he's in.

I'm all for bringing Fred Davis back, but it depends on the cost. Does anyone have a rough estimate of what the Franchise Tag cap number will be for a TE next year? What other TE's may be on the open market? I wouldn't be comfortable at this point giving Davis a top 5 TE type of contract.

So I guess in summary for me, at this point based on what I know, I'd say….

Top Targets

3. TE = Fred Davis, Redskins / Dustin Keller, New York Jets

I would like to add Brandon Myers to this list too. He may be a cheaper option than Davis and he has really developed some good hands.

I don't really care as long as Raheem butted harder. Talib has been a knucklehead, I just want to know if he's coachable. A lot of cats on here love him and if he'll play for Raheem and the Burgandy and Gold let's see what kind of deal we can work out.

I'm hoping Tanard Jackson can play as well. Can't forget about him.

Tanard? He was signed to a 1 year deal with nothing guaranteed because he has a substance problem. This was his chance to earn a paycheck and play well. He failed himself and his team by getting suspended. I don't want him back.

Do you mean Mike Wallace? If so, I think we're fine without him. The way he held out of training camp and OTAs this year because he felt he was worth more money, shows to me that he's the kind of player we can do without.

I respectfully disagree on Wallace. The guy was a stud, had outperformed his contract, and the Steelers tried to low ball him. It's a two way street and players have to protect themselves. I think he would be an awesome fit here if he came. It's not like he's a low character guy with off the field issues.

If we get some cap space back, I see us throwing loot at Byrd if he escapes the franchise tag. Byrd and Meriweather would be a nice tandem. And then I think we grab an OL, hopefully a corner (Talib), and draft more depth at safety. I don't think we go WR in FA, unless we get agreat deal, but rather we draft one in the mid rounds.

Archived