Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Flu Shot or not to flu shot

Burgold

Unless its something on top of the flu. The flu shot is a dead virus, you cannot get the flu from it. I dont know how many nurses/doctors have told me that over the years.

It likely is this, something on top, but she has the flu. Went to the doctor yesterday. I'm not implying the shot gave her the virus, but merely pointing out its ineffectiveness in certain cases. The best guesses at what the big mutations will be that year are put into a shot, right? People who tell me every year that I should go get a flu shot act like it's a 100% barrier against catching the flu when it isn't. Which flu? I'm guessing my mother in law either caught something before the immunization set in, or caught a strand against which she was not immunized. At any rate, I've never had the shot and my rate of catching the flu is lower than at least 3 or 4 other people I know who get the shot every year. Then again I don't get sick often in general.

I'm not implying the shot gave her the virus, but merely pointing out its ineffectiveness in certain cases. The best guesses at what the big mutations will be that year are put into a shot, right? People who tell me every year that I should go get a flu shot act like it's a 100% barrier against catching the flu when it isn't. Which flu? I'm guessing my mother in law either caught something before the immunization set in, or caught a strand against which she was not immunized. At any rate, I've never had the shot and my rate of catching the flu is lower than at least 3 or 4 other people I know who get the shot every year. Then again I don't get sick often in general.

You're right, the influenza vaccination in no way offers 100% protection against influenza, and no health professional would (or should) claim otherwise.

Just an FYI on the flu vaccine: there are many different flu strains and the flu vaccine each year is typically a trivalent vaccine (trivalent meaning 3 different strains), comprised of the three strains thought most likely (by experts from the WHO, CDC and FDA) to cause the influenza outbreaks we experiene each flu season.

Hope your mother-in-law gets better from her "stomach flu" soon ;)

[3%]

I had GBS and am one of 11 people that can't get the Flu shot as it may re-trigger the (Your white blood cells think your nerve ending are a virus and attack!).

and though i'm not a fan of discussing the 3% of the cases, there has to be "something" to the flue shot if some people can't take them....

[/3%]

Though because of it I take the Vitamin Shoppe Super Antioxidant that are chock full of goodness

Good thing people didn't take that attitude with penicilian.

There are people who have problems with Penicillin too.

I've always heard stories about people who have never had the flu, get the shot for the first time, and get sick. I know two people that this has happened to. Medical professionals say that this scenario is bunk, and a flu shot can't give you the flu. If something happens often enough though, you have to step back and look into it.

Personally, I'm going to avoid flu shots until someone holds me down and force injects me with the vaccine.

There are people who have problems with Penicillin too.

I've always heard stories about people who have never had the flu, get the shot for the first time, and get sick. I know two people that this has happened to. Medical professionals say that this scenario is bunk, and a flu shot can't give you the flu. If something happens often enough though, you have to step back and look into it.

Personally, I'm going to avoid flu shots until someone holds me down and force injects me with the vaccine.

My point was that some people do have issues with penicllin. In fact, penicillian alergies can be lethal.

The idea that most people should NOT do almost anything becuase it negatively affects some small percentage of the population is just dumb and would essentially end the practice of many medical procedueres that have saved huge numbers of lives.

It is possible for side effects from the flu vaccine being a low grade fever and aches (ie. flu like symptoms):

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm#whatare

"According to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), rare symptoms include fever, muscle pain, and feelings of discomfort or weakness. If these problems occur, they are very uncommon and usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days."

In addition, it is possible to get the flu even w/ the flu shot so in some cases people get the flu shoot and then get the flu, either they got the flu before the immunity from the shot kicked in or they got a different flu.

In addition, they can get other things that aren't even in a flu.

People have STEPPED BACK and studied the flu vaccine. MULTIPLE TIMES! Some people are going to get pretty minor flu like symptoms from the flu. Some people are going to get a flu vaccine and still get some other illness. And some people are going to get a flu vaccine and still get the flu. AND some people like Theiber have underlying illnesses that can be adversely affected by the flu vaccine.

That doesn't mean for most people the flu isn't safe and doesn't help most people stay healthy- just like penicillian! Some people have bad reactions to penicillian. Sometimes an antibiotic isn't the right antibiotic (i.e. the bacteria are resistant).

There is no magic bullet for most health issues that is ONLY going to positively affect EVERYBODY!

To make a point on some of the other conversations here, sometimes the "dominant" flu becomes the "dominant" flu BECAUSE of vaccinations. If you make people immune to the likely dominant form, that essentially allows some other flu to become dominant.

But when they make the vaccines, they just don't look at what they think will become most wide spread, but also the severity of the disease.

In many years, the people that get a "minor" flu and have had the flu vaccine AND those that have NOT had the flu vaccine is BECAUSE of those that do GET the flu vaccine.

I got vaccinated so you aren't likely to get the vaccinated form from me. That minimizes the possibility of me passing it to somebody else (who isn't vaccinated).

If NOBODY got vaccinated, almost certainly, more people would get the flu (including those that didn't get vaccinated) AND the flu they got would be worse.

Now, honestly, I never got vaccinated until I had young kids. WIth young kids it made sense to me to get the vaccine to diminish the risk of them getting it from me.

Medical professionals have looked into safety and effectiveness of the influenza vaccines. There have been several influenza vaccine studies carried out that have overwhelmingly struck down the theory that the flu shot causes the flu in vaccine recipients. This is why you will hear medical professionals calling that cause-effect theory "bunk." :)

The fact is, a person cannot become infected with influenza from the vaccine shot because the influenza strains used in the shot are inactivated (eg dead ) virus. For the record, not all influenza vaccination methods use only inactivated virus, but the influenza vaccine given in shot form that most of us get is dead virus.

Here are a few studies pertaining to the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine for you to peruse if you feel so inclined:

"Effectiveness and Cost-Benefit of Influenza Vaccination of Health Working Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial"

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=193139

"The Effectiveness of Vaccination Against Influenza in Healthy, Working Adults"

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199510053331401

There are several valid possibilities as to why your friends came down with flu-like symptoms following their vaccinations. Per the CDC website:

1. People may be exposed to one of the influenza viruses in the vaccine shortly before getting vaccinated or during the two-week period that it takes the body to gain protection after getting vaccinated. This exposure may result in a person becoming ill with flu before protection from the vaccine takes effect.

2. People may become ill from non-flu viruses that circulate during the flu season, which can also cause flu-like symptoms (such as rhinovirus). Flu vaccine will not protect people from respiratory illness that is not caused by flu viruses.

3. A person may be exposed to an influenza virus that is very different from the viruses included in the vaccine. The ability of a flu vaccine to protect a person depends largely on the similarity or “match” between the viruses or virus in the vaccine and those in circulation. There are many different influenza viruses. For more information, see Influenza (Flu) Viruses.

4. Unfortunately, some people can remain unprotected from flu despite getting the vaccine. This is more likely to occur among people that have weakened immune systems or the elderly. However, even among these people, a flu vaccine can still help prevent complications.

- Centers for Disease Control, http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 09:57 PM ----------

We over-vaccinate, people and our pets.

Tell that to the nation's countless pertussis victims...

Not only have we witnessed a recent nationwide uptick in pertussis these last few years, 2012 played host to the nation's worst pertussis outbreak in over 5 decades.

Originally Posted by Thiebear

[3%]

I had GBS and am one of 11 people that can't get the Flu shot as it may re-trigger the (Your white blood cells think your nerve ending are a virus and attack!).

and though i'm not a fan of discussing the 3% of the cases, there has to be "something" to the flue shot if some people can't take them....

[/3%]

Though because of it I take the Vitamin Shoppe Super Antioxidant that are chock full of goodness

What attitude are you referring to? Having a Syndrome that prevents you from taking it, So you have to compensate in other ways?

Just more illuminati mind control. The government releases the annual virus in hopes you will voluntarily inject yourself with their chemicals

Which is great for me, I love having an overlord. I find I have to work a lot les hard at life when everything is controlled for you

My wife got a flu shot because she is pregnant. The flu shot is highly recommended by doctors when you are pregnant.

I haven't had a shot yet this year. I will probably do it next week now that this thread reminded me. I get a shot most years, but not always.

Flu hit Richmond very hard last week. A nurse friend of my wife's said the ER where she works was slammed everyday last week with multiple severe flu cases. The ER wait was as high as 90 minutes before anyone talked to a patient. She also said a lot of flu cases escalated to pneumonia & bronchitis.

I get a flu shot every year. And it was free this year :)

Had to get one with my job the last 2 years. Wasn't going to this year, but I had a physical 2 months ago and my doctor badgered me into getting one. I've been fine up until a week ago. I do NOT get the flu, but ended up with bronchitis the past week. Just getting over it.

I hate that every time you have a sniffle, sneeze or get sick, the first thing people ask is, "you got the flu?" You can get sick without having the flu. I knew I didn't have it, as I've had it in the past. I had no fever or chills. Alot of chest and head crap with the bronchitis.

People really need to know the difference between getting the flu and just getting sick.

After being reminded by this thread I went and got mine today.

The pharmacy line was insane. Busiest I have ever seen it There were probably 15-20 people in line at all times (usually just 2-3). All were sick and looked terrible. I felt sorry for them, they all looked miserable.

I chatted with the pharmacist as he was giving me the shot. He said most people don't get them because they believe the theories mentioned here that the shot somehow gives you the flu.

The pharmacist also said that he had heard that the strain of flu they are seeing (did not say what area specifically) was one of the flu strains used in the shot this year and that it was good to get it.

Archived