Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: have you ever seen anybody get upset after being told "Merry Christmas"?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So is it Merry New Year?

Lol z. Logically one would think, but it's 'Happy New Year.'

I think these days, with each passing generation, 'Merry' Christmas is becoming more and more common. But most older, traditional English folk still say 'Happy.' The Queen when she addresses the Nation in her annual Christmas speech later will sign off with 'Happy Christmas' to her subjects.

But regardless of 'happy' or 'merry', it sure is a wonderful, family time of year. (Even if too many lose sight of what it's really all about in these commercial times.).

So I wish you all a very, Merry Christmas friends. I hope it's a joyous, fun filled one that brings you all you so desire in every respect.

And if you don't like it, go **** yourself. ;)

Hail.

So I wish you all a very, Merry Christmas friends. I hope it's a joyous, fun filled one that brings you all you so desire in every respect.

And if you don't like it, go **** yourself. ;)

Hail.

There's the Christmas Spirit I was looking for! :silly:

"We wish you a happy Christmas and a happy new year"...

Just doesn't sound right

As an atheist I don't get offended at all. I always say Happy Holidays and most of the time people say that to me even not knowing my lack of faith in fairy tales. Today is Christmas, the rest of the time is the Holiday season so Happy Holidays is more appropriate. However I will say that when someone has said Merry Christmas I do reply in kind and wish them a Merry Christmas to them and their family. When people choose Merry Christmas, I wonder if they're a "war on Christmas" freak but I would rather just let it go and wish them something positive in the manner they are comfortable with.

I have never heard or witnessed it first hand. I have seen lots of it on Facebook. I don't understand why everything in the country has to be a fight? We even fight about how to be nice each other. Why do I have to pick a side? For the record, I don't care what people say to me, I will return any friendly gesture offered to me! merry Xmas to all of you.

I have never heard or witnessed it first hand. I have seen lots of it on Facebook. I don't understand why everything in the country has to be a fight? We even fight about how to be nice each other. Why do I have to pick a side? For the record, I don't care what people say to me, I will return any friendly gesture offered to me! merry Xmas to all of you.

It is my belief that most people on facebook would never ever breathe a word of what they might post to anyone's face. (sometimes, me included.)

Bored blowhards. picking fights they never would normally, and doing it only because they know that in their insulation they can hold onto any stupid premise forever, and no one can 'make" them change their mind.

~Bang

Nah, if sincerely offered I've never been upset by it. There are people who know I'm Jewish who offer me a Merry Christmas and I don't really mind that either as I think it's automatic. I do try to be specific and offer people a greeting based on their beliefs. Example:

For Atheists... Beautiful Big Bang Day and a happy Higgs Boson! ;)

I hate Christmas. My mother died on Christmas Day and I'm an atheist. But I've had Merry Christmas said to me and I've said it to other people. Sometimes I say happy holidays, I mix it up.

Faux Noise says there's a War on Christmas every year to fire up their viewership. It's false, and I hate that Faux is doing this.

LSF, sorry for your loss really, but Christmas didn't kill your Mom, we all know Grandma got ran over by a reindeer.

Happy Holidays is so 2003. It's Merry Christmas by God. And if you don't like it why don't you go **** yourself
Don't apologize to that ******* you stupid jerk.

Merry Christmas!!!

Mod File xmas 2012. (snort, snort)

I usually go with "Happy Holidays". I used to say "Merry Christmas" all the time till I said "Merry Christmas" to a Muslim (I was not aware of it at the time) and it made me kinda rethink it abit. For the record, I'm a Atheist so it's something that wasn't a huge thing, outside of habit.

I usually go with "Happy Holidays". I used to say "Merry Christmas" all the time till I said "Merry Christmas" to a Muslim (I was not aware of it at the time) and it made me kinda rethink it abit. For the record, I'm a Atheist so it's something that wasn't a huge thing, outside of habit.

Was he upset about that? Looks like you're vote #4 :)

I'm an atheist too... I generally say Merry Christmas to people who I know will appreciate it and Happy Holidays when I'm not sure.

I'm listening to Andy Williams singing Christmas carols right now, and perusing ES at the same time.

God is good, whichever one is yours, and I know he watches over us all. He's been awesome to us this season, I know that for a fact!!! Doesn't much matter what anyone celebrates...Merry Christmas, or have a great holiday season. We're free to be free. And whatever brings us peace and love is cool.

Was he upset about that? Looks like you're vote #4 :)

I'm an atheist too... I generally say Merry Christmas to people who I know will appreciate it and Happy Holidays when I'm not sure.

I would say he was a little uncomfortable and taken off guard. I had an associate tell me he was Muslim and I though "bad move Jon".

[secret]Atheists probably won't get pissed off[/secret]

File this under: "Have you ever seen a non-soldier get upset after being told 'Happy Veterans Day', an unemployed person being told 'Happy Labor Day', a single person being told 'Happy Valentines Day'" Okay that last one is kinda the last straw.... Completely understandable for someone to get pissed off at "happy valentines day"

I take my kids to Church, have a Christmas tree and decorate like crazy in the yard and the Christmas city scenes on the kitchen table. (Singing Xmas tree ** okay: 10minutes a year though on that one).

Had the family over, 20 phone calls telling everyone Merry Christmas.

I put the sticky snowflakes and decoration on the office doors and cubicles, put up the let it snow signs and Christmas welcome mats on the 9th floor entrances.

Put up the lights and Christmas tree at work with fake presents, and will clean it up in a couple days. I put together the Christmas breakfast from Panera

Your Welcome,

the Atheist

Only rude people act the way described on the opening topic: Merry Christmas is just their excuse to show the rudeness.

Faux Noise says there's a War on Christmas every year to fire up their viewership. It's false, and I hate that Faux is doing this.

Yeah they make up those lawsuits by the Godless and the ACLU to remove Crosses, manger scenes and falsely report one sniveling parent(?) who hated Charlie Brown Christmas play etc. :rolleyes:

Why can't they be lock step with the elightened liberal media and follow the left's marching orders to keep the lemmings in check?

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 10:01 PM ----------

You don't have to say Merry Christmas.

happy Birthday will Do............

No. But I do know plenty of people who find "happy holidays" patronizing.

Personally, if I had a stranger go off on me for saying "merry Christmas," of all things, I would tell them to shove their holiday of choice up their ass.

I don't know... let's say you say a stranger wearing a yarmulka on his head, a talis around his shoulders, a prayerbook in his arms about to step into synagogue. If you shouted Merry Christmas to this gentleman it might be a bit offputting.

99% of the time, you are right, but humans are very clever, they can even make something as beautiful as wishing someone a merry Christmas rotten if they want to. Like I said earlier, I try to be specific... I wish a Merry Christmas to those I know who celebrate it and sometimes I will use it as a default, but if I know someone celebrates something else... wishing them that or a simple happy holidays isn't really so bad either.

My neighbor is a Jehovahs Witness (J-dub as I call them). I didn't know this until we were putting our trash bags in the bins and I looked over and shouted "Merry Christmas!". Holy cow I wish I hadn't. I got a 5 minute lecture of how secular I was and how they 'have it right' and I'll never make it to heaven wishing such sinful acts as GIVING PRESENTS IN CHRIST"S NAME to my children. When it was clear that she wasn't going to take a breath, I said "well, its been fun. and since you don't celebrate christmas, happy boring existence!"

Needless to say, we aren't speaking and I think it's stupid. But, people can believe what they wish. That is their God given right....this is "Merica!

Merry Christmas ESers, and a Happy New Year. For my J-dub peeps out there, happy regular, unimportant day.

Archived