Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter,(and other sources): Cousins Starting

Im Ron Burgundy?

My feeling here is that we will need to find a way to beat the Browns and Eagles with Kirk and if we do that and are right in the playoff hunt still hope RGIII is able to play against the Cowboys and then into the playoffs. I may be wrong but if RGIII is not cleared for this week it's probably a 3 or 4 week injury and it may be touch and go for Dallas.

If we are out of the playoff hunt you shut RGIII down.

We have 2 winnable games without RGIII coming up but it will be a lot harder without him.

We need Kirk to pull this win out, I am cautiously optimistic but he has some flaws I think the Browns will attack. It's all conjecture since I have been going on his college tape and some mental memories of his NFL outings.

I think the Browns are going to bring the heat against Kirk, where he struggles. I think our offensive line, Morris, and Kyle Shanahan are going to have to win this game since I don't think Kirk can put the team 100% on his back like Griffin has done sometimes this year. I think if the defense can keep the Browns under 20 points, which I think they have a good shot at winning because I think our defense matches up well against a Browns offense that honestly isn't very scary in my opinion. Like any game in the NFL, this might come down to turnovers. I guess I will hazard a guess and say Cousins throws 2 TDs and 2 Interceptions with 60% completion rate and about 250 yards which is solid yet unspectacular.

Kirk needs to keep it safe and not fire off some interceptions when they bring heat on him, I expect to see Kirk make some great plays and some completely boneheaded rookie mistakes, for he is a mere mortal. Morris needs to make our offense 2 dimensional and make them fear the run so he really needs to step up here if we want to strengthen our playoff hopes.

Cousins needs to keep our playoff hopes alive and honestly we have no idea what it is going to be like on Sunday. We need this win and all the others after this.

Why am I up at 4AM again?

To be frank, I didn't even expect playoffs this year. To me anything better than 7 wins was gravy. If we manage to crawl in to the playoffs do you really expect us to do anything? This year can already be called a success and a full off-season to beef our our Offensive line and get healthy on defense will be great for a chance at a deep playoff run next year. Griff will be able to get fully healthy and NFL thick. Think of ALL the talent that is on IR. An offseason will do us a world of good. So tomorrow I am going to put on some burgers, grab some decent brewskis and just bask in the feeling of having a December team again.

To be frank, I didn't even expect playoffs this year. To me anything better than 7 wins was gravy. If we manage to crawl in to the playoffs do you really expect us to do anything? This year can already be called a success and a full off-season to beef our our Offensive line and get healthy on defense will be great for a chance at a deep playoff run next year. Griff will be able to get fully healthy and NFL thick. Think of ALL the talent that is on IR. An offseason will do us a world of good. So tomorrow I am going to put on some burgers, grab some decent brewskis and just bask in the feeling of having a December team again.

I never look to the next year. Injuries can happen any year at any time. And we could absolutely do something in the playoffs this year if we get in. The giants have proven twice that you don't have to be the best team to win the Super Bowl just the hottest team!

Well to me its simple. The D has to play their best game of the season which means they need to pick grandpa Weeden at least twice one being a pick 6 for us to have a chance. Otherwise Kirt is not going to get it down fellas. This run, and we all in our hearts know this, has been made possible by our "cornball" QB. With him we don't really have much of a chance.

I was going to make the twenty minuet drive to my friend’s house to watch the game one the dish now I am wondering if it’s really worth it first time in 15 years that I will be missing a skins game. But really the first time in fifteen years that I have a 100% chance that we will not win the game. And what makes this worse is we have an Eagles team that just got humiliated on national television with a ten day rest coming up next

ugh. You really think we have no chance? Come on man, don't be such a pessimist. I think our chances of winning are at least 40 percent. Our D defends the run well, their RB has sore ribs and hasnt run the same and Weeden sucks. Cousins can sling the ball fine, he just isnt the same running threat. Cleveland's defense is good, but our running game is one of the best in the league.

It should be a good game, don't skip it.

It will be interesting to see how different our offense is, and do hope we have plays that cater to his strengths, just like we did with RG3. I still think we will see a lot of play action, and expect a tight low scoring game.

The Browns will be coming. We will need to be at our best today, the Browns are no easy out. Maybe today is the day our defense tries to win one for us, and gets after their dinosaur rookie ourselves.

I wonder if Doc was also curious to see Cousins and start pumping up that value. I am joking.

Browns got the better defense, better returners, better O line. WRs I think we are about even. Morris might be better than a banged up Richardson but not by a mile. So to win IMO Cousins needs to do better than just manage the game, he needs to do something rookies rarely do in their first starting game and that is have a kick butt performance. Game IMO is on his shoulders big time. Do I think he does it, no. Not because I don't like him, I think he will be a good QB over time but the typical rookie struggles some in game 1 especially in terms of making mistakes/interceptions. In college, interceptions was Cousins Achilles heel. So I do expect the Browns to win, hope am wrong though.

Well to me its simple. The D has to play their best game of the season which means they need to pick grandpa Weeden at least twice one being a pick 6 for us to have a chance. Otherwise Kirt is not going to get it down fellas. This run, and we all in our hearts know this, has been made possible by our "cornball" QB. With him we don't really have much of a chance.

Agree with this, problem is IMO Cousins is just as likely to have picks -- his weaknesses in college was INTs, he has 2 ints in 11 throws in the NFL.

Great news.

If RG3 had played today and got injured, a good majority would be ready to run Shanny & Co. out of town for their decision. Better to play it safe and have him closer to 100% for the next two games.

Feed Morris the ball all day long!

Agree, sit RG III if he's not up to it, and Shanny would be run of town if he got hurt. I do think the Browns will be ready for Morris, they likely play 8 in the box stop Morris and dare Cousins to beat them. Should be interesting, unlike the Skins, they have a good pass rush (ranked 7th in sacks) and have a good secondary so Cousins is going to have a more difficult time than Weeden. Be interesting to see if our 4th rounder can out duel their first rounder in his debut game -- on paper that seems a long shot, but you never know. What worries me most about Cousins is picks, it was his issue in college, and ditto in his limited time in the NFL -- we've been winning partly because of turnover deferential. Browns like us are good at turnover differential and we are now switching from one of the best QBs at avoiding mistakes to a QB whose weaknesses is making mistakes.

It's the right choice. Now, the team has to rally around the new QB and just focus a little harder. There's not a lot that separates us from the Browns. We have more to fight for... but while some may say this game is about Cousins I think it's really about Moss, Cooley, Fletcher, and a few of the other old timers who may be experiencing their last chance to get some playoff love and excitement. For all the sweat, blood, and pain they have endured throughout their career... I would love to see a W.

Presumably, Morris, RGIII, etc will get their chance at glory, but for a few this is the last chance at glory... a chance to go out with a taste of victory.

Archived