Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter,(and other sources): Cousins Starting

Im Ron Burgundy?

I think the "cousins starting" news is interesting and not " RG3 is inactive for game". Along with Griffin saying it wasn't his decision. That tells me he could play but not 100% and wouldn't be surprised if he's active. ....unless I missed news saying griffin is out.
The Redskins did not say whether Griffin will be active for the game, or whether veteran Rex Grossman, who has been an inactive third-string quarterback for every game this season, will serve as the primary backup to Cousins.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20121215/APS/1212150843

I've been looking all over the news lists, and I haven't found anything that has reported that he is officially out. If I do, I'll post it.

The decision has been made. NO point in second guessing Coach Shanahan now. Just roll with it. Two outcomes in this game but either way we wont be completely out of the postseason picture. If griff were to play the browns D would be looking to tee off on his knee. The worst it would cost them to teach the rook a lesson is a 50000 fine and a 15 yard penalty. If he can be 95 percent next week by sitting this week then so be it. A large part of his game is his threat to run and if he can t run then it makes little sense to put him in a position where he might lose that ability for good just to win a game that in the long run might not matter much. You want rg3 for a day or 15 years?

It just seems to me that there is a sense of over protecting RG3 right now. Its a sprained LCL. Like I already mentioned, Jay Cutler is playing with a sprained MCL. Big Ben is more hurt right now then RG3 is. Brett Favre has played with LCL sprains a few times during his career. I don't think resting him this week will make him any less susceptible to a more serious injury simply because teams have been trying to laying down the kill shots on RG3 all year. I know running is a big part of his game but i believe that even if RG3 had zero running ability, I'd bet on his arm. Not saying I won't be pulling for Kirk but, if RG3 really felt he was ready to go, then I believe him and I wish Shanahan did too.

Disappointing news. I have to figure that things weren't healing as fast as they needed to which is not surprising considering the injury. Im still disappointed though as my hopes were up from earlier reports of RG feeling and looking good. Hopefully he will be ready to go next week and hopefully we have something to play for when he is back under center.

I think getting a win is going to be really tough this late in the season with a rookie getting his first start. Our only advantage is that the Browns have little idea of what kind of offense they will face with Kurt out there.

If he couldn't go, then there isn't much debate. I like Kirk, he was clutch last week, but I don't have a ton of confidence in a win tomorrow. If the defense were better, maybe so, but so far the offense has been operating with zero room for error and I don't see any reason why that would change. Hope I'm wrong, because we NEED this win.

This is the Browns man.

If we can't beat the Browns regardless of who's under center, we don't deserve to be looking at the playoffs.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep tonight, Their a BAD team. However much folk have tried to convince themselves on here this week their not.

Hail.

This is the NFL, there are no gimme games.

Kyle's offense is pretty awesome. No matter who is under center, Beck, Grossman, Cousins, RGIII -- WRs always seem to be running into open space. Combine that with some athleticism from Cousins and belief that he is as mentally prepared as he can be, I think we can still be pretty effective. It'll be tough, Hayden will check Garcon and they are likely to key on Morris. Hankerson, Moss, Paulsen, etc are going to have to step up in a huge way.

Browns aren't a pushover but I can understand not wanting to put RGIII at risk. Robert would play his game and it's one thing to throw in practice, but another to run away from defenders in the pocket and deal with lineman falling around your legs.

I support whatever the doctors and staff say.

my problem with kirk is he likes to force throws. I really hope he doesnt do that against clevelands very good 2ndary. But they will blitz the sh1t out of him and he will make mistakes

I think we've just gotten used to Roberts ability to take off running, not taking many chances if nothing is available. He seems to plays his percentages well..

Cousins wont have this luxury. If no one is open, more often than not he's going to have to force it. You can only throw it away a small number of times.. but.. he does have feet :ols: (or so i hear.) not quite Griffin-esque but I'm sure he's faster than most of us think.

ahh.. man.. get the coffee ready. looks like i'm in for an all nighter :(

"Captain Kirk navigates thru Cleveland with ease"?

or

"Captain Kirk crashes the Redskins Enterprise?"

find out, next time..

I've been thinking about this... and three things stand out in my mind that lead me to believe this may be trickeration on the part of Shanny.

1) There have been reports that RGIII has been practicing all week, and has looked fine.

2) Garcon's leak to the media earlier in the week that Cousins might be starting. Possible deception?

3) They didn't wait until Sunday to announce the starter. If Cousins was ACTUALLY starting, wouldn't they want to keep that from the Browns as long as possible?

From the sounds of some people on here we might as well not show up because the Browns are so bad ass. Let's get the guys back on the plane to DC. We have no chance.

I would say that our chances are greatly reduced without a healthy RG at QB. Can the Skins go into Cleveland and get a win? Of course they can but this is by no means an easy game. This will be Cousins' first start, its not like he is a seasoned vet or.. like RG. The Browns aren't "bad ass" but then neither are our Skins - Especially w/o RG. IMO.

I'm with you on this one. As putrid as our pass defense is, we usually seem solid against the run, and I don't see Weeden dropping 30 pts on us. If Cousins can protect the ball and Almo chew up the clock, we can hopefully squeak out at around 17-14.

I think we'll be alright if we stop the run, which we should. Baltimore was the first team I can remember all year that truly was having success at will against us with the run and that only lasted for one half. If we shut down the run, Weeden may throw for 350 against us but I believe it won't matter because we'll pick him off a few times and that's what I expect. We have an opportunistic defense and if we can shut down the run and put some pressure on him from time to time, he'll give us those opportunities. Our offense just has to really step up and give Cousins plenty of support. I'm actually really excited for this game. I think it's going to be a real slugfest between two very young teams with a lot to prove and a lot of hunger/desire to win. I can't wait!

So you think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Giants lose on the road to an angry ATL team and Dallas loses to an angry Pittsburgh team? The Giants could easily lose to the Ravens next week and the Cowboys could easily lose to the Saints and, of course, to us in Week 17.

the giants would have to lose two of the next three for us to be ahead of them at 9-7.

Archived