Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody Worried about Kyle and a Head Coaching Gig?

Murphs56

First of all, I want Kyle to be his father's successor here. Secondly, I think he'd prefer to stay and organically take over this team since he's poured 3 years into assembling the personnel we now have running his scheme.

But, in thinking about this a little more, do you guys really believe a team will be ready to hand full HC duties over to a 33-year old with no experience in game management, etc.? I think he's a bright offensive coordinator, but I'm wondering if teams will really consider him ready to run the entire thing?

Not yet, at least not to me. Still has a lot to prove to me before getting serious head coaching consideration in the NFL. maybe even coach and lead a college program to a national championship first. He has been calling/drawing up some great stuff and shows when they players execute or he has talent that steps up it works. Not just in Houston. good job coaches kid. lol it's a good situation, with one great and another good qb to work with.

I just came here to post the exact same question. I am definitely worried. Here's why:

1.) The way he's running the offense, there is definitely going to be serious interest in him sooner rather than later.

2.) The Washington Post recently ran a great article talking about how Kyle pretty much rejected his last name for a long time. He's really into gaining credit through hard work, and not through his family ties. It went so far as to say he barely had contact with his dad through college because he didn't want to be seen as "the coaches son". I don't think the fact that he's working for his dad will have any weight in his decision. In fact, I think it could hurt. I'd link the article, but I'm in a hurry. Perhaps someone else can find it?

3.) For those saying Mike will move into a GM role, and have Kyle as his HC... this is impossible. How in the world would this work out? If Kyle starts messing up, then what? Mike's going to fire his own son? It just creates too many uncomfortable situations.

I think the most realistic best case scenario is for Snyder to lay out serious cash to keep him on as OC. When Mike retires, Kyle gets name coach. But Mike can't stay on as GM. Like I said, just too many weird situations would arise from that.

First of all, I want Kyle to be his father's successor here. Secondly, I think he'd prefer to stay and organically take over this team since he's poured 3 years into assembling the personnel we now have running his scheme.

But, in thinking about this a little more, do you guys really believe a team will be ready to hand full HC duties over to a 33-year old with no experience in game management, etc.? I think he's a bright offensive coordinator, but I'm wondering if teams will really consider him ready to run the entire thing?

You read my mind! I hope Shanny the Elder gets a 5 year extension and can hand the keys to Shanny the Younger at the end of that run, with another 3 Lombardis in our case. What great continuity that would provide... and what healing for our still-fresh wounds of today.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 08:12 PM ----------

Mara will find a way to screw us for that...LOL.

That rat **** always finds a way.

A couple of things about this topic that worry me...

-What if Texas come calling when Mack Brown retires? They will see the success Bill O'Brien is having at Penn State and may try their hand at a alumnus. Plus he already run a "college offense".

-Kirk and Kyle joined at the hip? Whichever one departs the Redskins first can attract the other in a year or two. Hell Kyle did bring Rex freakin Grossman with him because he already knew his system.

-If we make him our HC what is going to stop him from going Jim Buss on us and tearing everything down that his father built. I don't trust him making player decisions. We know he wanted the Texans to draft Beck and rumor has it he wanted Dalton (not a bad pick) which brings me to my next question...

-What if the Bengals come calling. They will soon be exposed to never defeating playoff teams and getting by on easy schedules. Marvin Lewis has been on the warm seat for some years now.

No.

For one, I don't think he'd move on this soon even if one was offered. The chance to enhance his CV working with Robert will probably lead to him having the pick of jobs down the line and being able to chose the best one for himself. And Hell, come to that, if he's at that stage, then it would be to our folly to not have him under serious consideration for the gig here.

And if he was to move on, then so be it. The scheme's in place now and that's not changing so long as his fathers the HC and 10's here. So I honestly don't see it as a big hit if he did indeed land a HC position somewhere.

So no, not concerned much at all in that respect all things considered.

Hail.

Didn't LL or or one of our insiders state they're working on a contract extension for Kyle like two weeks ago? What happened with that?

ding ding ding! you are correct he's not going anywhere, why leave Rg3 when he an kyle are being groomed to lead the skins to many future SB's together!

The way I see it, I think Kyle is ready to tie his legacy at least for the next decade to RG3's. At least thats what I would want if I was in his position. Even if that means being only a OC for 5-6 more years before getting a chance to be the Head coach here when Mike steps down.

If he had wanted that sooner than later he'd have stayed with the Texans instead of coming up here. How much longer is his dad going to be the head coach anyway? Two more seasons? By then Kyle Shanahan could be looking at inheriting a playoff team led by a top flight QB who he helped bring into the league. Why would he go anywhere? If we succeed in the next two seasons the team is as good as his.
Man. Just a few weeks ago the crazies were calling for Kyle's head and were convinced that he was only here because of his dad.

What a difference a few weeks makes.

I am a huge KS fan and I think we are okay for a few reasons:

1) He is still really really young. A bit too young for a HC job I think.

2) You get a talent like RG3 once in a lifetime. Why would he leave when RG3 is this ****ing good?

These two. Word for word. He aint going anywhere.

Good news. No salary cap for coaches. More good news. Daniel Snyder is fifthy freakin' rich. Pay him like a head coach to stay as a O Coordinator and he won't care.

This, plus I doubt he would want to leave his father. He left a damn good position in Houston to come join Mike.

he seems to enjoy exactly what he's currently doing.. and he's great at it.

upgrading to HC, wouldnt his duties change for the worse? someone else then comes in & prepares his teams offense?

perhaps i'm confused as to what the head coach does.

Quite a few offensive HCs also run the offense - Joe Gibbs for example had very little to do with the defense. As to why he might want to take a HC gig if offered - there is a BIG difference on what he would get paid as a HC as opposed to an OC even if Snyder was prepared to seeten his current deal on his new contract this offseason.

I actually don't think he will get offered a HC gig right now and will sign an extension here with us. But in 2 or 3 years if we carry on the current progress and say win a Super Bowl or get very close he will be a prime candidate.

I think the recent failures of Josh McDaniels, Steve Spagnola and Raheem Morris might put off teams looking for a headcoach from the ranks of Vunderkid co-oridinators which might mean some teams will shy away from him

In McDaniels case that was a serious fall from grace and then kind of strugled to find his feet again but he almost ripped appart that franchise and I would hate for that to happen to Kyle .

Then again - I am not sure how this is going to pan out - Mike Shanahan has tried the whole retiring (all be it enforced) and it was not for him - He still wants to win at the highest level, amongst the best in the NFL . Mike simply cannot hand the keys over and take a FO job as I think it would be impossible to not be involved day to day on the field and if Jr takes a wrong turn how is that going to play out .

If Mike is thinking about hanging up in a couple of years having shown he can rebuild a franchise the right way then Kyle might stick around .

However if not Kyle might be wise to stick around and learn - or be seen to be learining the leasons of team building with his dad and if we get to a superbowl then he (Kyle) is going to be in a much stronger barganing position than if he leaves now ..

But it is his choice and I really do not think we should kid ourselves that Kyle is not going to get offers ...

Ha ha. A lot of paranoia in this thread.

I would hate to see Kyle go, but in all honesty? I wouldn't blame him for taking a HC'ing gig for various reasons. The biggest IMO is proving to the world that he can be a successful coach without his Daddy by his side.

Don't know if I would want the responsibility or pressure of being a HC when I have such a great thing going with RGIII and you can clearly see he's having fun now, but people like the feeling of being large and in charge.

Ha ha. A lot of paranoia in this thread.

I would hate to see Kyle go, but in all honesty? I wouldn't blame him for taking a HC'ing gig for various reasons. The biggest IMO is proving to the world that he can be a successful coach without his Daddy by his side.

Don't know if I would want the responsibility or pressure of being a HC when I have such a great thing going with RGIII and you can clearly see he's having fun now, but people like the feeling of being large and in charge.

I think this is why he stays -- he's already had to prove to Mike that he's worthy. He's already proven he can coordinate an offense -- in Houston they were one of the top offenses in the league. I don't think he leaves RGIII after just one year, either. I think Kyle loves working with him, not to mention his masterpiece here isn't finished yet. He is not likely to trade that in to work with someone like Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, Blaine Gabbert/Chad Henne or the like.

I think Kyle really likes having RG3. I also believe he's here under the impression that when his dad leaves, it's his job to lose. Why would he leave RG3 to go take over say the Chiefs or Browns?

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 10:12 AM ----------

- He's working for an owner that will pay him like a head coach.

That's a very good point. We know Snyder has no problem shelling out for coaches. I wonder what Kyle is paid in comparison to other OCs around the league and even some HCs.

He's like 30 something and working with the most promising QB in the game. And there's not exactly a good situation he could be hired into (and if there was, ownership probably wouldn't risk bringing in such a new guy). I seriously doubt he would leave RG3, daddy Shanahan, and Dan Snyder money to go get eaten alive trying to develop Blaine Gabbert or Korn on the Kolb.

What he's doing with this Redskins offense is extremely innovative. The team is scoring a ton of points, racking up a tremendous amount of yards and he's being credited a lot lately with his playcalling. I never thought I'd say this before the year began, but he may actually get a look as a head coach. He's taken 2 offenses in Houston and now Washington and made them among the leagues best. I'm worried with the amount of turnover this year with head coaches that Kyle may actually get interviewed for a few vacancies. Are you guys concerned about that?

Isn't Kyle next in line to succeed Shanny? I always thought that was the plan. HTTR

he seems to enjoy exactly what he's currently doing.. and he's great at it.

upgrading to HC, wouldnt his duties change for the worse? someone else then comes in & prepares his teams offense?

perhaps i'm confused as to what the head coach does.

Some coaches call their own plays, I.e. Sean Payton.

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 10:44 AM ----------

Isn't Kyle next in line to succeed Shanny? I always thought that was the plan. HTTR

You bet, but I don't think he will leave what is built and ready for him to take over when dad retires.

Archived