Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody Worried about Kyle and a Head Coaching Gig?

Murphs56

I think it's too early. He may get interviews but I can't see him getting a job offer yet and he would be better off staying here anyway. He has RGIII to play with and enhance his reputation and then if it all goes like we hope he can take over as HC here in a couple of years.

If he does get an offer Mike can always ground him and stop his allowance until he sees sense anyway!

I have been an ardent supporter of Kyle here, so I will take it a step further. Whether we want to admit it, Kyle is designing an offense that will be looked back on as a "revolutionary" offense. Yes, he's bringing in concepts from the college game, but he is also molding it around his amazing ability to use his TEs and underneath routes to drag safeties, etc., to create mismatches and open up things for his WRs. It is a lethal combination.

Kyle is a young buck. I hope he sticks around. I would love a Kyle/RG3/Al Mo combo for the forseeable future.

I haven't hidden my utter respect and admiration for Kyle as an offensive mind since he's come here. I'm glad that so many are finally seeing his talent come to fruition now that we have some players to execute his ideas. I hope we find a way to keep him no matter what he's offered.

Our scheming and offensive gameplanning is superb. Major props go to the Shannys after undergoing heavy scrutiny by media and fans. Of course it helps and makes it easier to have a player like RG but they have him doing things that have defenses totally off balance.

BINGO! Why the hell would I as a coach would leave when all I can see is a ring because of RG3. RG3 don't grow on them trees you know. :)

I agree. All i'm saying is Head Coaching Jobs don't grow on trees either. He's probably at the height of his respect around the league as far as being a candidate.

Sure the guy can be interviewed by other teams, but Dad will tell him to stay home as he'll have to runs the farm when dad'll retire. which will happen anytime soon. I'm pretty sure that was the deal from the beginning, rebuild the team, then, handle the team to his son.

And now, you're OC, talented one, with RG3 at the helm. Why would you want to go elsewhere? Does the Cardinals offers more to him than RG3, the Redskins and his dad?

Not a chance he goes anywhere else than Washington, except for holidays.

LL56 mentioned this weeks ago, I've talked about it a few times on here, and interest in him is real. It's another indicator of reasons why I have to restrain myself (and sometimes don't) when I see so many simpleminded dipstick office workers/NFL play-calling experts figure they are properly equipped to judge him as so <whatever> so often, or this offense (as recently as after our game v the iggles) as a gimmicky college scheme that's already run its course. Yeah, we should be worried. :)

I am a little worried he would walk . I am concerned he has turned down a contract extention and I am not familiar with what his current deal is . When LL56 was posting this there were real - mostly media speculation lead rumblings that the seat of Mike was getting hot and Dan Snyder getting an itchy finger - And of course there was a big swell of fan rebelion - And under those circumstances I can see that Kyle is not going to tie himself to a team that runs his Dad out of town .

What a difference a month makes . All of a sudden things are not so bad sitting at .500, we have 4 games and each game is the same as a playoff game - we cannot loose and miss a step on the Cowboys or the Giants but we are playing meaningful december football for the first time since 2005 (I am discounting the 2007 campaign because that playoff run was on raw emotion and was destined to go nowhere) .

Kyle will have to get a blow your face off type offer to jump ship right now - Yes his value is at a high but he is still very young - and the teams that are likley to come a calling are very bad ... A couple more years with RGIII and maybe (who knows a ring) and his negotiating hand becomes an awful lot stronger ..

What head coaching jobs will be available? Let's speculate a little:

1. Eagles (for sure)

2. Sand Diego (9 lives Turner has to be running out of lives)

3. Jets (maybe?)

4. Carolina (maybe?)

5. Cleveland (maybe?)

6. Jax (maybe?)

7. Oakland (I don't even know who the coach is)

8. KC (maybe, but probably not. Romeo oh Romeo probably deserves another year. He inherited a bad team with no QB. They've got to go out and get a QB.)

So, of the teams that might have a HC vacancy, I can't imagine Kyle being even remotely interested in the Jets, Cleveland, Jax, Oakland or KC. None have established QBs, all are somewhat of a circus. His gig here is better.

I don't think he would take the Eagles job and play dad twice a year, especially since he would have to start from scratch.

That basically leaves San Diego and Carolina. San Diego would be interesting if he thought Rivers still had it. Carolina would be interesting, because he could do a lot of stuff with Cam that he did with RGIII.

Personally, I might do it if I was the Panthers. And that might be interesting to Kyle.

I think he stays.

I don't think he's ready to be a head coach just yet. He has a bright offensive mind but even his playcalling at times can get a little cute, and I question whether he's emotionally ready to be a General instead of just being a Lieutenant.

But it wouldn't shock me if some teams came calling. I hope he stays though, I want to see him and RG3 together for a really long time like what the Colts had w/ Manning and Tom Moore.

If I'm Carolina's owner I start camping out at Kyle's doorstep NOW. Newton is not as good a passer as RG3, but he could be dangerous with Kyle's scheme... Although I do wonder if Newton has the gray matter to run it effectively.

Hopefully that won't happen tho.

I think the only way he leaves now is if the new team promises to hire his tattoo-bff, Chris Simms, as QB!

But seriously, I agree that it is too soon. As people have mentioned - money won't be a problem here and he enjoys working w/ his pops and w/ the rare talent of RG3. And the chance to take over and continue working w/ RG3 after dad retires has to be a strong consideration for him.

Kyle Shanahan is on the Mediots' Head Coaching Candidates list simply because he is an Offensive Coordinator having a tremendous year. While I'm not debating that he deserves to be on that list (he is a viable head coaching candidate sooner rather than later), I don't believe he will get serious consideration to be a head coach this year (and I stress..... "THIS YEAR"). I believe many Owners/GM's will look at him and chalk up his success to RGIII more than scheme and overall coaching acumen. You'll probably see many of them saying something to the affect of, "I need to see him do it longer than one season." Because, if he's so great, then why did he struggle so much the first 2 years he was here?

One caveat, though. There's going to be A LOT of vacancies this year (Philly, Dallas, San Diego, NY Jets, Arizona, Carolina, Kansas City, Cleveland). There's an outside chance he gets a job simply because the number of vacancies is equal to the number of viable candidates. Also, there might be some owners smitten with his new offense and want to bring it to their team (which is why Chip Kelly will be a Head Coach next year, book it).

Personally, I do not think Kyle will leave, I think that with RG3, this OC job can define his career like how Steve Young/John Elway defined Shanny SR.

I think Sr, will move to a FO job either (when the Ship has been righted here, or he wins another Superbowl (hopefully before year 5 ;D)

and Jr. will take over as HC.

I don't think he is ready for a head coaching job just yet. I think he will someday but in my opinion he is another Josh Mcdaniels, just to young right now. I think it would be a mistake for him to leave a great stituation that he is in and I think it would be a mistake for another team to give him a head coaching job right now. I think the trend for now is to hire college coaches with the success of Harbaugh & Schiano and Chip Kelly and David Shaw will propably be two of the hottest canidates after the season. Great players like RGIII make the players around him look better and even the coaches around him look smarter and while I'm not saying that Kyle isn't a good coach I do think he is being helped by a once in a lifetime player. On a side note I was thinking last night that the Redskins need to really hit it well in the next few drafts and also develop the young players that they have because when Griffin's rookie contract is up he is going to command one heck of a next contract. Maybe the richest of all time and it is going to kill there cap.

Archived