Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody Worried about Kyle and a Head Coaching Gig?

Murphs56

My brother in law just texted me saying that Kyle is interviewing for the KC job after the playoffs.

Kyle would be smart not to take that gig. That team's in serious trouble structurally. I think he's in the driver's seat. If a great job opens then he should go for it, but otherwise, being tied to RGIII will ensure that he has a good place going forward.

My question is what will the offense look like IF (a big if) Kyle takes a HC job somewhere. Obviously we run the same type of system, but can another OC call it as well as Kyle has been? I do NOT want to see Kyle go. Snyder and co. need to convince him to stay a while. He's young; he's got a bright future and a great deal of time to think about being a HC farther down the road.

My question is what will the offense look like IF (a big if) Kyle takes a HC job somewhere. Obviously we run the same type of system, but can another OC call it as well as Kyle has been? I do NOT want to see Kyle go. Snyder and co. need to convince him to stay a while. He's young; he's got a bright future and a great deal of time to think about being a HC farther down the road.

The benefit of the system Kyle developed here is it requires the qb to read, assess, and decide. That means should he leave a lot of the playcalling winds up being RGIII already. That's not to say we don't need Kyle or shouldn't do everything in our power to keep him, but his system is one that seems to allow a quarterback to control his own plays.

Kyle would be smart not to take that gig. That team's in serious trouble structurally. I think he's in the driver's seat. If a great job opens then he should go for it, but otherwise, being tied to RGIII will ensure that he has a good place going forward.

Get them a qb and they could win ten.

The benefit of the system Kyle developed here is it requires the qb to read, assess, and decide. That means should he leave a lot of the playcalling winds up being RGIII already. That's not to say we don't need Kyle or shouldn't do everything in our power to keep him, but his system is one that seems to allow a quarterback to control his own plays.

While it seems beneficial to have such a QB with the intellect to run the system, you still need a coach on the sideline familiar with the scheme. If Kyle leaves, is there someone out there who could come in immediately and fill those shoes? :twitch:

Yeah, but they've been saying that since Montana coached there.

Lol, true. But they have talent at a lot of spots. Figure bowe is gone but a young qb plus wr to build around with Charles could be intresting. Oakland and San Diego aren't going anywhere fast. Denver has two or three more years after this. You could go to a worse place.

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

While it seems beneficial to have such a QB with the intellect to run the system, you still need a coach on the sideline familiar with the scheme. If Kyle leaves, is there someone out there who could come in immediately and fill those shoes? :twitch:

Navada has a coach :)

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 03:21 PM ----------

Navada has a coach :)

My brother in law just texted me saying that Kyle is interviewing for the KC job after the playoffs.

It is prudent for Kyle to go through the interview process. But I do not think (hope) that he is going anywhere. I believe he will get his shot at being a HC after Mike calls it quits.

The skins are considering extending mike shanahan. I feel in this case we would lose Kyle in due time.

Not necessarily, Mike and Kyle can have a clause in their contract extensions to give Kyle the HC jig after Mike retires. As for Salary Danny can easily match or exceed the salary KC or anybody else offers to make Kyle the highest paid OC.

Frankly though as much as I think Kyle is a solid OC and is great working with the QBs, I don't think he makes a good HC. I do not say this as a knock on him, it just appears to me what he excels at is the X's & O's which is what your want from a coordinator who makes the calls during the game. It is a different skillset for a HC. Norv is a great example. In my opinion he is one if not the best OC during the last generation of coaches but not a very good HC. He kept getting all the HC shots because of how good of an OC he was, but it just did not work out. There is nothing wrong with making a living out of being a OC or DC for an entire career. But I do think Kyle will get a shot at it and I believe the plan was and still is to do it here.

Adam Shefter was saying that most team are going to be looking for coaches with proven track records at either the collegiate (Kelly & O'Brian) or NFL Level, that's why he thinks Whisenhunt, Reid and Smith will be employed next season as head coaches. The whole trend of hiring the hot coordinator is coming to an end, teams want stability and track records. Look at all the playoff coaches this season, it's teams with stable staffs and QB's. That's probably why Kyle may not get a job this time around....next year who knows...

Yeah, but they've been saying that since Montana coached there.

Montana coached at KC? I think you mean QB'd there.

KC did send 5 players to the Pro Bowl - I know that does not mean that much but they have some talent there. None of that talent plays QB though.

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:29 PM ----------

It is prudent for Kyle to go through the interview process. But I do not think (hope) that he is going anywhere. I believe he will get his shot at being a HC after Mike calls it quits.

I don't think they can - would that not break the Rooney rule re interviewing minority candidates?

I don't think Kyle is going anywhere after this season. He may possibly interview; however, I think this may be done just for job interviewing experience. I have doubts that even he would leave after just one season with RGIII. So much potential with this offense and this team that I don't think Kyle would want to abandon ship just yet. In time, yes, and possibly he may slide into the head job when his dad is done...who knows. I just don't see him leaving this soon with so much unfinished business at this point. Just my opinion.

I don't think Kyle is going anywhere after this season. He may possibly interview; however, I think this may be done just for job interviewing experience. I have doubts that even he would leave after just one season with RGIII. So much potential with this offense and this team that I don't think Kyle would want to abandon ship just yet. In time, yes, and possibly he may slide into the head job when his dad is done...who knows. I just don't see him leaving this soon with so much unfinished business at this point. Just my opinion.

I feel the same way -- there is no way he abandon's Griffin after a year to go coach a mediocre-to-terrible QB prospect; ranging from Foles to Weeden.

I feel the same way -- there is no way he abandon's Griffin after a year to go coach a mediocre-to-terrible QB prospect; ranging from Foles to Weeden.

I had to laugh at that thought. I could imagine Kyle on the first day of practice with one of those guys...."Whatta you mean you can't do that...the last guy was able to do that".:ols:

He left one of the youngest, best rising teams in the NFL with Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, and Arian Foster to coach this crappy team where careers go to die just because his dad was the HC. His dad couldn't talk him out of it, btw. Turned the team from a group of losers to playoff caliber and one of the best ROOKIE QB prospects possibly to ever approach the field. He's essentially in the same situation he was in Houston, except this time with a better QB, his dad at the helm...and a perfect road to be HC of this team. Not to mention he works for one of the richest owners in the NFL...with the most willingness to write a seemingly blank check to his players and coaches. His dad was just a year ago, i believe, the highest paid coach in the NFL. He's in the toughest and most famous divisions in the league...I think probably also the most decorated...and his team just took the championship. He's in a great football city, good weather, east coast...with a great fanbase that doesn't really call for the coaches head after every bad play like Philly. His owner has recently made a 180 and stayed completely out of football decisions.

Now, why the hell would he leave this?

We did the same thing here with Gregg Williams.. nobody does the head coach in waiting thing except Seattle with Mora and they fired him the next year. Kyle needs to strike now. Who knows how we'll be next year. I love Kyle but he's a great OC and those guys become HC's. He'll take Geno Smith with the #1 pick and try and recreate RG3 in KC. Will it work? Who knows but they have playmakers in KC we're in the playoffs two years ago. Very familiar to DC before we got Mike. I say good luck to you Kyle!

Archived