Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody Worried about Kyle and a Head Coaching Gig?

Murphs56

I don't think they can - would that not break the Rooney rule re interviewing minority candidates?

My understanding is there is an exception if hiring in house and in contract and not interviewing any other candidate for the position.

This from Wiki

The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening.[5] For example, this was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/the-rooney-rule.html

I just don't see Kyle walking away from his offense before it's even finished building, and away from his star QB without a SB Ring first.

Precisely. There is absolutely no rush to leave, even if his dad does sign an extension. Who's to say his dad won't retire before his contract is up anyway? Or reconstruct to take a different role? All are possibilities. This is Kyle's opportunity to experiment and create something totally new, and special, and it has yet to be perfected. Taking off to run a conventional offense elsewhere would not be a good idea at this point, it's too early

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

We did the same thing here with Gregg Williams.. nobody does the head coach in waiting thing except Seattle with Mora and they fired him the next year. Kyle needs to strike now. Who knows how we'll be next year. I love Kyle but he's a great OC and those guys become HC's. He'll take Geno Smith with the #1 pick and try and recreate RG3 in KC. Will it work? Who knows but they have playmakers in KC we're in the playoffs two years ago. Very familiar to DC before we got Mike. I say good luck to you Kyle!

Dang, did you pack his bags already before the season is over? LOL

Dang, did you pack his bags already before the season is over? LOL

No.. I just realize that we always do this with members of our staff.. Nobody wanted Saunders/Williams to leave either. But thats what they do. We'll be fine Bruce/Mike are the the important guys. Kyle is gonna be hot item soon and who are we to block him. His father will want him to go and be a head coach. I dont understand the people who say we're just starting something great here. They dont count the win loss records of assistants. He'll want his own

Interesting topic. I can't speak for Kyle, but if it was me I wouldnt want to leave this team right now. The team is on fire and he has amazing, young resources to work with. Superstar ROOKIE QB and RB, young pro bowl left tackle, a decent bunch of wide receivers, an improving offensive line and a serviceable group of TE's that could be a great unit if Davis is able to return to form. Kyle Shannahan is a kid in a candy store right now. He's not going to have an RG3 at any of the coaching vacancies and he will probably never have such a special QB ever again. As many have said, he also has an owner willing to spend and he could probably just about name his price to stay here. It's gotta be tempting to move out of his father's shadow but Kyle is still plenty young and I think it would probably work out best for him if he gained a couple more years of experience. He could easily win multiple Super Bowls here if the team continues to head in the right direction. And he could do the same as HC after his father leaves if that's the direction the team wants to go in.

I'm not. He has a pretty good gig here. He gets to coach RG3 and has been able to build one of the better offenses in the league around him. Why would he give that up just to be a head coach? Dan Snyder will pay him a head coaches salary and there is a very real possibility he inherits the team from his pops one day. I just cannot see why he would leave such a perfect situation.

Let's just say I would be very surprised to see him leave for a head coaching gig elsewhere.

I think he would be crazy going anywhere right now IMO. He has a great future with RG3 and Morris. He is only 33 years old and has plenty of time to be a HC somewhere down the road. Why give up a pretty awesome gig with a team that is only going to get better. He may be Mike's predecessor???

A lot of Bears fans want him. I wouldn't imagine him wanting to go to a team with a 30 year old QB and an aging defense.

Of the jobs available the Bears is probably the best out there. They had a winning record this year, they have a QB in Cutler who may be a dick but is a proven commodity and they have a good - if ageing defense. With some good personnel moves that team could contend very quickly. All the other jobs have huge question marks at QB and there is no one in this years draft IMO who looks anything like an RGIII or Luck.

I dont think Kyle will leave - I dont think he is ready yet. Look at McDaniels or Lane Kiffin - an NFL HC gig is rough territory for the inexperienced.

The Problem I think some of you are missing is the fact that people's opinions of you change every year. It was only last year that Kyle was damaged goods because of McNabb, Grossman/Beck. His stock has never been higher than it is now. You never know. His stock may plummet again next year if the offense struggles at all. He might want to cash in while he can

All winning teams have trouble keeping their OC's and/ or DC's.

It just comes with the territory. We have a better shot at keeping

Kyle than most teams do in this situation, but I would not be surprised if be

Left. Nor would I blame him. It might be his only chance to be the Head Guy.

The Problem I think some of you are missing is the fact that people's opinions of you change every year. It was only last year that Kyle was damaged goods because of McNabb, Grossman/Beck. His stock has never been higher than it is now. You never know. His stock may plummet again next year if the offense struggles at all. He might want to cash in while he can

If someone offers him a HC job then it would be difficult to turn down - whoever its with. There are only 32 of these jobs and they dont get offered to many people ever.

I will be very surprised though if he gets offered a job next year. I just think he still too young and inexperienced and if I was a GM or owner I'd want someone with a bit more experience. If we continue to progress though and have another very good year next year offensively (and we should be even better next year) I think then he starts to become a legit candidate and we may have a problem holding him, especially if Mike has signed a long term extension here.

No way he goes. The first HC he gets will be in our Nations Capitol. Too sweet of a gig right now. This is the NFLs third most valuable team, he has a supernova at QB, a star at RB, a GM that will work with him and I bet his dad goes to the front office when he hangs them up. I'm sure his family is use to the area by now.

Interesting topic. I can't speak for Kyle, but if it was me I wouldnt want to leave this team right now. The team is on fire and he has amazing, young resources to work with. Superstar ROOKIE QB and RB, young pro bowl left tackle, a decent bunch of wide receivers, an improving offensive line and a serviceable group of TE's that could be a great unit if Davis is able to return to form. Kyle Shannahan is a kid in a candy store right now. He's not going to have an RG3 at any of the coaching vacancies and he will probably never have such a special QB ever again. As many have said, he also has an owner willing to spend and he could probably just about name his price to stay here. It's gotta be tempting to move out of his father's shadow but Kyle is still plenty young and I think it would probably work out best for him if he gained a couple more years of experience. He could easily win multiple Super Bowls here if the team continues to head in the right direction. And he could do the same as HC after his father leaves if that's the direction the team wants to go in.

Some of you guys just dont understand, and I dont know how else to explain it to you. Some of you are going "Omg why would he leav ehe has RG3 and Morris and blah blah"

But the truth is, they are not HIS, they are his FATHERS. THIS IS HIS FATHERS TEAM. Do you really think he cares about leaving Rg3/Morris etc if he could go and have an ENTIRE team somewhere else? Of course not. What is every single assistant coaches goal in the NFL? To become a head coach somewhere obviously. So of course he would want to be a head coach somewhere. IF someone comes with the right price, and right team, he will leave. Its why Snyder needs to lock him up with $$$ and also lock him up by telling him after his daddy retires he will inherit the team.

Of the jobs available the Bears is probably the best out there. They had a winning record this year, they have a QB in Cutler who may be a dick but is a proven commodity and they have a good - if ageing defense. With some good personnel moves that team could contend very quickly. All the other jobs have huge question marks at QB and there is no one in this years draft IMO who looks anything like an RGIII or Luck.

I dont think Kyle will leave - I dont think he is ready yet. Look at McDaniels or Lane Kiffin - an NFL HC gig is rough territory for the inexperienced.

Cutler may be old enough that he'll be set in his ways. (ie McNabb) I would think that he would want to go to a team that is ready to draft and groom a QB

The commentator on CSN Sportstalk with BMitch last night said he thinks Kyle will be the Skins HC in 2013 with Mike moving to the GM slot. Not sure what that would mean for BAllen (president?). This wasn't an "insider information" comment, more of a "things I expect to see in 2013".

Anyway, interesting comment that had BMitch agreeing would happen.

As much as it seems like a virtual certainty that he will leave if the money is right, I cannot get past the unbelievable opportunity that he would be leaving here in Washington.

He has built a team and an offense that has finally cracked the code of how to utilize a highly athletic QB.

Several teams have had this situation and squandered it. Kyle has not.

The commentator on CSN Sportstalk with BMitch last night said he thinks Kyle will be the Skins HC in 2013 with Mike moving to the GM slot. Not sure what that would mean for BAllen (president?). This wasn't an "insider information" comment, more of a "things I expect to see in 2013".

Anyway, interesting comment that had BMitch agreeing would happen.

I would be good with that. They should keep Bruce around as a numbers guy though

I was on the road for 11 hours yesterday. And it wasn't my car, so no satellite. So, I was fillping around local stations. Ended up with some ESPN, some FOX, a lot of local talk. When I got home I was just in time for NFL Live on ESPN and some Total Access on NFLN.

All that is to say I spent a LOT of time yesterday listening to what the rumors were on where teams were looking for their next head coach. Who was being interviewed, who teams were zeroing in on, what specific traits those teams were looking for, etc. Heard a lot of names. And, surprisingly, Kyle's name never came up.

Archived