Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Greg Williams secretly take over the defense during bye week?

NoCalMike

Suddenly our defense was using alternative ways to manufacture a pass rush.

Why it took to the bye week to adjust to a D-line that is not generating sacks is questionable, but I really hope this is a sign of things to come.

It really felt like watching Greg William's scheme out there on the field, blitzes coming from different directions. Sending cornerbacks on the QB's blindside.

Doing what it took to create QB pressure with the personnel you have.

I am not talking the success itself, I am talking about the difference in scheme. The Cowboys are not known for having a strong O-line either, btw.

I get what you're saying because I have been thinking I haven't seen us blitz like that since my man GW left.

Yes, we all know the Eagles O-Line sucks... However, our rush was non-existent. The simple fact that we were able to get to Foles even against the Eagles proves that we can get to the QB.

And last Sunday proved that our secondary isn't as bad as we think they are. Yes Merriweather made a difference, but the big difference was the pass rush. We should all know that without a pass rush your secondary will be in trouble....

The Eagles started a guard they had taken off the street six days before the game. And their OL was bad before that.

We got more pressure, but I think that was a function of the Eagles OL.

I didn't see them doing anything different in the defense, and I spend a lot of time watching the OLBs.

They have been doing a little stunting and moving Kerrigan before this game. I didn't see much more of it.

MAYBE there was a little more blitzing and pressure up the middle, but I think that was likely a specific game plan realted to how bad the Eagles are at pressure brought directly up the middle BEFORE this game PLUS a completely new G starting.

The Eagles started a guard they had taken off the street six days before the game. And their OL was bad before that.

We got more pressure, but I think that was a function of the Eagles OL.

I didn't see them doing anything different in the defense, and I spend a lot of time watching the OLBs.

They have been doing a little stunting and moving Kerrigan before this game. I didn't see much more of it.

MAYBE there was a little more blitzing and pressure up the middle, but I think that was likely a specific game plan realted to how bad the Eagles are at pressure brought directly up the middle BEFORE this game PLUS a completely new G starting.

AND a rookie QB. AND a lameduck coach. We're all glad they won, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I think I may have not been clear with the OP. I wasn't making a statement about our defense suddenly being good. It was the Eagles, starting a rookie QB, and half a team that probably had already quit. I get it.

I am just talking about specific differences in how it seemed the defense was mixing up different ways to manufacture a Pass rush. The D-line still wasn't making it happen, per usual, but the difference was the blitzing was much more exotic, bringing pressure from different directions. Stuff like that.

I don't know about that, but I was going to mention I saw a camera shot of Raheem Morris talking the the DL after a series.

Oh please don't ignite this powder keg... Raheem is not calling plays on defense, nor is he our d coordinator. this was a well called game by Haslett- he should be receiving some credit.

Haslett got riskier b/c his job is on the line and/or he trusted his secondary more after talking with each of them and with Merriweather in there. Hopefully even w/o Merriweather we keep up the pressure. The DBs kept their end of the bargain, so Haslett needs to keep calling up the blitzes.

Guys it was Philly.. Seriously go check standings and points for. They have scored the second fewest points in the league with only Kansas City bettering them. You had a rookie qb, not just rookie but first start ever, with one of the worst olines in league, facing a team coming off a bye week, and playing from behind early.

I hate to be a Debbie downer but I really don't see us getting the pressure we had while facing Philly against Dallas. I will gladly eat my words if I am wrong but I really doubt our defense got much better over the bye. Really, Philly's offensive line is in shambles, they have multiple third string guys and same week free agent pickups starting. I really hope I'm wrong but like I said, only Kansas City has scored less points than Philly this season.

We clearly dialed up the pressure OP, and it helped our team significantly. It was long overdue, especially against a rookie QB.

While their OL was struggling our DL/LBs hadnt done jack **** trying to get to the QB for weeks. No stunts, a very vanilla approach wasnt helping.

PeterMP I am surprised you while watching the LB's didnt notice that Haslet finally dumped the failing delayed ILB blitz. Heck, Fletcher fell over the center pre-snap, we were bringing pressure SO much more aggressively. It was a significant change in approach, the most aggressive they have been all year.

If their OL was that bad, were we foolish to be so aggressive, because we didn't have to be? We only got 4 sacks. I tend to not second guess what happens in a blowout, and tend to support it. I want to see more of the same, dont blitz when Romo sits to pee thinks we will and vice versa, and bring different guys. And for the love of blowouts, don't only delay blitz.

Easily Haslet's best called game of the year. Sacks lead to turnovers. Turnovers lead to wins. You have to get after QB's and not wait for them to hand you a turnover. Pressure is imperative for a successful D. The only way to offset it, is the Brady Model. Dominate on offense.

Nah, that was a combination of Haslett feeling comfortable with blitzing the eagles, the eagles sucking, and the defense being pissed at the same time. A lot of those big plays came from us blitzing and philly calling screens to counter them. We did still hold them to 6 points with Meriweather hurt most of the game. Hopefully its a confidence booster for the defense to just play better.

Also, anyone else notice Lorenzo had the radio helmet with Fletcher out instead of Riley? It looks to me like he's going to move up to ILB when London finally retires. Whether he takes that role doesn't matter as much as the fact our coaching staff is comfortable with him doing it. He's come a long way since run blocking for Gibbs, props...

Dallas has a bad OLine too. We might not be able to get to Romo sits to pee as easy, but we should be able to apply pressure. Secondary just needs to do their jobs and be where they're supposed to be. Romo sits to pee is prone to boneheaded throws. INT chances should present themselves. LBs also need to cover Witten like a glove. We gotta keep him in check.

I hope we can jump out to another nice lead. That will help as well.

PeterMP I am surprised you while watching the LB's didnt notice that Haslet finally dumped the failing delayed ILB blitz. Heck, Fletcher fell over the center pre-snap, we were bringing pressure SO much more aggressively. It was a significant change in approach, the most aggressive they have been all year

Like I said, we might have brought more pressure straight up the middle, but that isn't really exotic or surprising or anything.

The Eagles have a bad interior OL before the game. You can't watch an Eagles game w/o hearing the announcers talk about their inability to handel A gap pressure, and then they switched guards to a guy that they signed off the street 6 days ago.

I wouldn't go gaga over a team going out and successfully brining pressure right up the middle for the Eagles.

During the Turner era when we were starting people like Shar Pounderesh, you'd regularly see teams that rarely (successfully) blitzed come in and blitz us to death.

The Eagles this year are in the same boat. Every team that plays them successfully brings blitzes up the middle.

That we'd copy that isn't really surprising and that it worked isn't surprising.

I don't know as much about Cowboys, but next time we play a good OL, I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to same blitzing scheme w/ the same insuccess.

(I do want to point out that I think the idea that blitzes against a good OL/bliltz pick up teams are the solution to our problems are wrong. I've seen plenty of times were we have done some sort of blitz and brought pressure off the corner of the OLB, and it just doesn't work. We don't have good blitzers has been my conclusion. We don't have guys that we can bring on a blitz that can beat the RB or the TE that is there to pick up the blitz all that often or on a regular basis. In the end, it is about having players that can make plays.)

Archived