Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Greg Williams secretly take over the defense during bye week?

NoCalMike

How bad is the Cowboys line?

Just from looking at the stats, they don't look THAT bad. They've given up one more sack than us and fewer QB hits.

That turns into like 7 fewer sacks than the Eagles and 1/2 the QB hits.

And why are they so "bad"?

As I've already said, the Eagles offense has had issues with A gap pressure all year. Its been clear and happen repeatedly.

Sometimes you see with a team where they have a few bad games, but they are game/player specific, and the OL/blitz pick up isn't really that bad over all. It is just the scheme or a player in that game they have issues in, and then in another game it is a different scheme/player and you put together a few bad games that way. But there isn't this inherent and system wide problem that you see like with what has happened with the Eagles this year where every game it is the same issue.

I haven't seen the Cowboys play much this year. Can anybody comment?

The reality is we felt we could get away with bringing pressure packages because we had Merriweather back and the eagles QB wasn't going to hurt them in this game. He didn't have enough time to go deep and burn them for the blitz outside of screens which were somewhat effective.

This week we are back to Doughty and Williams. They are an enormous drop off from Merriweather speed and intensity wise. Romo sits to pee can make his own time and if he makes it we are dead in the back end.

All that being said, they'll kill us if we drop 8 and rush three so I say send em from everywhere. Safety blitzes, linebackers, stunts, games, twists, corner blitzes - send it all at him. Its our only chance.

Oh please don't ignite this powder keg... Raheem is not calling plays on defense, nor is he our d coordinator. this was a well called game by Haslett- he should be receiving some credit.

Thank you bruv! Why are so many people hung up om Morris like he's some defensive Herbert West? He's not some mad defensive genius who can resurect dead Ds.

I disagree with the notion that the best way to shield a weak secondary is to not blitz. That without Merriweather, we have no choice but to only rush 4 until the end of the year. I think the opposite. In general, I always thought a strong pass rush made the secondary's job easier, even if you have to bring 5, you still have numbers, 5 OL + 1 QB.

It must be done, by being unpredictable.

A DC can do the same thing every game, but it becomes to easy to be game planned against. Blache was like that, and Haslet of late, running the same defense over and over, hoping the front 4 get the job done. They take what you give them, which results in few turnovers.

Turnovers are key to winning games, we all know this.

I would rather we win or lose by trying to dictate the game, instead of hoping for a lucky break.

Paging Lavarleap.

Paging Lavarleap.

These were all from LL on the 19th.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Give Haz credit for copying the Steelers Gameplan to a T vs Philly earlier this year. Even utilized almost all the same blitzes & rush games

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Needs to show he can come up with his own GP and be just as effective. 2 of the best D games this season NO,PHI were plans from Rah,LeBeau

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Whenever Haz deviated from the Pitt scheme in favor of his tricks we were burned. Still cause for concern.

These were all from LL on the 19th.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Give Haz credit for copying the Steelers Gameplan to a T vs Philly earlier this year. Even utilized almost all the same blitzes & rush games

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Needs to show he can come up with his own GP and be just as effective. 2 of the best D games this season NO,PHI were plans from Rah,LeBeau

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Whenever Haz deviated from the Pitt scheme in favor of his tricks we were burned. Still cause for concern.

Thanks, great find. And it is insightful. Haslett can't seem to scheme on his own and can't adjust on the fly.

The weakness in our secondary was been evident and amplified last week with Merriweather in the game.

When you have a safety with the awareness and the ability to bring the wood, it make the 3-4 look great. The coaching staff is confident in allowing the 3-4 defense to do what it is intended to do - confuse the QB's ability to read where the blitz is coming from, thus causing errors in hot reads and hopefully more turnovers. Of course we went up against a QB that had "deer in the headlights" most of the game so the concept worked.

We now have safety that don't make plays on the ball, take poor angles and cannot put fear in WR crossing the middle. We are also going up against a QB that extends plays.

I say we bring the heat like last week and take our chances. Rushing 3 will be the death of us.

Do not play scared Jim!!!! BRING IT!!!

If either facet of our D worked properly, we would be OK. If we had a pass rush, it would take pressure off of the secondary, and if we had a secondary that could cover, we would have a couple extra seconds to sack the QB. You saw the former at work last week.

You know this to be true?

~Bang

I do, I saw shots of Haslett looking at a play sheet and uttering things into his headset. that would seem to imply he was calling defensive plays

---------- Post added November-21st-2012 at 05:42 PM ----------

Credit given where credit is due, I see no real reason to give Haslett credit for this sudden game plan change after the bye. And please explain why Morris was seen looking at pics with the DL and pointing and gesturing,, was he cluing them in on where the DB's would be>? In fact the whole secondary was playing differently as well. Not just with Merriweathers presence either, when Gomes was in as well.

i would assume its not that uncommon for defensive coaches to provide their input about other aspects of the defense. Raheem might have seen something pertaining to the d-line and was providing his opinion. The defense as a whole, works together, and the coaches emulate that notion as well. there's nothing you mentioned that would suggest Raheem was calling the plays.

---------- Post added November-21st-2012 at 08:18 AM ----------

Right and it happened after the bye, adjustment time, It also was a strange coincidence to some that Raheem was spotted talking with other D units.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

Seems odd that the same blitz/rushes would be effective v a Foles run Philly team and a Vick run Philly team, the two teams are very different.

You want to force a QB like Foles to reset his feet with your pressures, you want a QB like Vick to be contained in the pocket.

Furthermore, the entire dynamic of their offense changes, to a more run/screen based attack.

Not saying they didn't run the same plays as PIT, but I am surprised they'd be successful. But I haven't watched film of both and ll very well may have. If he has time maybe we'll get a blog post or a few clips!

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

These are also the two games in which the level of talent on the Redskins defense has been higher. In fact if you look at all the time the defense played with either Rak/Carricker/Merriweather on the field, they've done quite well. The NO game, the first few minutes of the STL game in which our defense had scored 7 to the Rams 3, and then you have the PHI game.

Could be game-plan, but it also coincides with talent.

Not enough evidence in my opinion, to say it's one way or other with any certainty at this point.

I do, I saw shots of Haslett looking at a play sheet and uttering things into his headset. that would seem to imply he was calling defensive plays

Where did I say Raheem was now calling the defense? Greater influence maybe, but if he were calling it outright would it not have been announced or discussed?

---------- Post added November-21st-2012 at 10:10 PM ----------

I don't know about that, but I was going to mention I saw a camera shot of Raheem Morris talking the the DL after a series.
I saw this too. He clearly has taken on a bigger role than db coach.

^ this is what was said 2nd and 3rd post in.

GWilliams's D came in different flavors. Remember the year Springs had 6 sacks?

The next year, we barely even blitzed.

And always, sat back on a rookie.

Haslet seems the same way. We only see extremes. Why cant these guys change it up more mid season, heck, even mid game?

I am still stunned Haslet went after Foles and finally broke the streak

My observations..

1) I thought one of our delayed DB blitz' worked because the rookie qb held the ball too long

2) We did try the mulling around at the line last year- do u remember the 11 man stand-up defense?

it worked for a few plays before it got figured out

3) as for Raheem talking to the DL, it would seem logical to me if we were blitizng DB's

Maybe he was asking for DL adjustments so he got his DB to the QB

4) Let's all root for Crawford this week to come in prepared!

Hail!

Archived