Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Greg Williams secretly take over the defense during bye week?

NoCalMike

That's the key. And not many fans understand that. Haslett wants to be aggressive. But.....................he can't if the secondary can't do their job.

They can do their jobs though. Hall and Wilson are NFL corners, but need to be put into position to do well.No DB can hold a WR endlessly. Pressure from the front is imperative. Outside of the NO and Philly game, Haslet has left them on an island.

He has to take risks and blitz at times. Not to extremes as he tends to do. All or nothing. He rarely to never even tries stunts in obvious passing downs. We all see our front 4 is not getting enough pressure but somehow, many fans say oh, its the secondary that sucks.

They are tied together and must help each other.

Sure Merriweather helped him feel like he could blitz, but I think the drop off moving to Gomes isn't significant enough to warrant not blitzing again the rest of the year, to completely abandon the things we secretly think he wants to do. The knock I heard on Merriweather was that he improvised, and was cut by NE. That seems to be what folks complain about Madieu.

I call bunk that Gomes and the rest of the DB's cant cover in press man help over the top for 3.5 seconds if London and Riley blitz.

Blitz calls, success and failure rates getting after the QB get little to no scrutiny, yet one completion against Hall with no pressure, and the fans are livid. At Hall. Yet before last week, the only blitz we ever saw from our ILBs was a delay up the middle. Over and over.

I don't mind if we dial it up, just maybe not on third and 21. Wouldn't it be a nice book end though if the game came down to a similar situation and Haz did it again...with success?

If we get the same situation again and Haz shows zero blitz again .....well words will fail me. Which is rare.

I don't mind if we dial it up, just maybe not on third and 21. Wouldn't it be a nice book end though if the game came down to a similar situation and Haz did it again...with success?

That plays causes me to be scared about Dez Bryant. :doh:

I wouldn't mind if he *shows* it to then drop out of it. He'll actually appear like a real DC then, disguising defenses.

True - we did that a couple of times last week. Best just to stay away from anything to do with a zero blitz today IMO!

I think Romo sits to pee is more dangerous on broken plays when he is gets pressure and extends plays than when he is kept in the pocket and reads and throws on schedule. Gettimg pressure is important but not letting Romo sits to pee slide away when we do get pressure is even more important.

Just wanted to express an observation from the past two weeks of watching Houston. I continue to see fans on ES stating that "injuries are no excuse" when it comes to the production, or lack thereof, from our defense. However Houston loses their top CB Joseph and have already given up 58 points in 7 quarters (including OT).

Looks like they were needing the bye week and are just playing better as a unit right now. It helps going up against two teams in a row that constantly shot themselves in the feet.

Griffin is putting pressure on teams they aren't used to as well. Being able to run the ball with Morris also helps keep defense off the field. Offense really helping defense as well right now.

Bout f'n time.

I was thrilled to see Haslet getting after Romo sits to pee today. I was stuck at the dinner table quite a bit but thought Haslet dialed up the heat on Romo sits to pee, via blitz and may be even a few stunts. It should be noted that he did it without Brandon Merriweather in the lineup. We do not need him in the lineup to try to pressure QB's.

I would even say I thought our front 3 had their best game all year.

He has to take risks and blitz at times. Not to extremes as he tends to do. All or nothing. He rarely to never even tries stunts in obvious passing downs. We all see our front 4 is not getting enough pressure but somehow, many fans say oh, its the secondary that sucks.

Why can't the front 4 get to the QB? Orakpo being injured has everything to do with that. Like I said, Haslett wants to blitz but he can't if the secondary can't do its job.

The front four played better last night. Kerrigan keeps getting more pressure on the opposing quarterback. I liked Fletcher's interception. My only discouraging moment really was when I called quarterback sneek from my living room before they snapped the ball when they decided to go for the two point conversion. When I saw Romo sits to pee go across the goal line, I was really upset. Was the nose tackle or the linebacker supposed to be watching Romo sits to pee on that play? If the Giants go into that same formation I hope our players will be able to defend it much better. Fletcher was not in the game for that play. Our other linebackers need to learn more from Fletcher. I hope when number 59 retires we can keep him as a coach.

Why can't the front 4 get to the QB? Orakpo being injured has everything to do with that. Like I said, Haslett wants to blitz but he can't if the secondary can't do its job.

I agree that Haslett want to blitz, but disagree that it's only the secondary holding him back.

In my opinion much of it has to do with our players simply not being very good at rushing the passer (evident when we run 2-man under and rush four, and our other players not being very effective blitzers. Far too many of the Redskins blitzes have been picked up this year, teams have put TEs on our OLBs and done just fine and so forth. If you can't get to the QB by bringing pressure, then what's the point in even bringing pressure?

In addition I also agree with you that the secondary plays it's part.

Having seen two weeks in a row now though, where our blitzes have been affective I'll be excited to watch this defense v the Giants, because in my opinion the Giants actually have a pretty good o-line, especially in comparison with DAL/PHI.

Its not a 1 way street though. They help each other out.

After 5 wins now, we need to recognize perhaps the secondary, is doing their job. And maybe better than the front 7 are. Haslet cannot be assumed to always know whats best to not do, when not doing it led to being the worst pass D.

But other teams without pass rusher OLB's get things done. They use stunts and are creative and unpredictable in blitzing, exactly what Haslet has been doing the past 2 games.

I think Haslet had been using our front 7 horribly in all but the NO Philly and Dallas games. Most all blitzes were delayed, basically never even a stunt in obvious passing downs.

The past 2 games, he is letting our LB's play aggressive, and suddenly even Fletcher looks 5 years younger. And I think we are seeing our front 3 playing MUCH better from Haslet unleashing the LB's after QBs

Archived