Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

foxnews: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Thrawn triology is like 20 years old now. The main problem with it is that it requires all the characters to still be young as it happens almost immediately after ROTJ. Carrie Fisher ain't up to the task of that book.

I like Thrawn, but I would stay away from "Expanded Universe" completely. You just get into the rut that Lucas got into in the prequels - of limiting the Star Wars universe to the same characters. Others have made the same point, but I am amazed that there was not a little Han Solo in a vest running Episode 2 at some point.

Lucas created a massive universe and got stuck on one linear storyline. Just pick up 20 years later with Luke as the head of the Jedi council, Darth Vader long forgotten, and a bunch of new Jedis and soldiers trying to figure out their place in the galaxy.

I would be pretty excited if 20 minutes into the new film, a brash arrogant Jedi discovers an old Sith manuscript or something.

One of the billion problems with the pre-quels is that it created the Sith as these Big Bads - and never actually explained what they were. Let's see someone become a Sith and then kill Luke at the end of Act 1.

(Though to be honest, the prequels completely turned me off on the idea of Jedis. They were all arrogant idiots with super powers as far as I could tell).

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

Han and Leia married and had twins Jacen and Jaina and another son Anakin. Chewbacca died. Lando is still around pedaling specialized droids. Luke married the emperors former assassin, Mara Jade and they have a son named Ben. I am a nerd.

Wow.

I need to completely re-think my opinion of you.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 04:28 PM ----------

You can't honestly believe in Disney making a good Episode VII can you?

Much moreso than Lucas.

You can question whether the world "needs" more Star Wars movies, but if they are going to exist, they need to be done by someone not named George Lucas.

I am afraid that Disney will actually take the prequels as examples for anything they should do at all with any of their films. All they need to do is study ep. 4-6 since they're masterpieces, and they need to take notes on what was done. How about shooting real things happening in real locations? Real stunts, real models for space ships, how about they go do what Lucas did and record a whole bunch of bizarre sound effects for different things instead of relying on the same stock they've been drawing from since 1977? I'm terrified to see what they're going to do with the timeline and actors. I doubt that everyone who was in the original would be on board for later episodes, and if so what are they going to do to explain the massive gap and age issues? I know there are books and other material which cover what happens after Return of The Jedi. Are they going to adapt those or are they going to go at this whole thing from a completely different angle?

It's funny, having Star Wars mostly out of Geroge Lucas' hands is incredible but putting it into anyone else's hands could be equally disastrous. I think the prudent thing most people should have done in the early 90's was ask themselves "do we really need any more star wars movies?" not from a fiscal standpoint, but from an artistic one which is what filmmakers (not studios but the people with creative control) should ask themselves first and foremost. The answer back then could have been yes, had the prequels been done properly. They were not and at this stage, since we know we cannot trust anyone to handle this thing properly, I feel the true answer might be a resounding "No". That's just my opinion. There are plenty of people who liked the prequels, and I'm sure some of them are on these forums so I'll keep my film snobbery to a minimum and just say that I wished they weren't dragging this franchise out to its inevitable slow painful demise.

Movies, games, tv shows, etc. operate exactly like a drug. They amaze us and draw us in tightly the first time or two that we see them. We are enchanted, hooked, and we experience warm and fond memories which will stay with us forever. Years later those memories haunt us. We're looking to re-experience that magical feeling all over again so we put ourselves through crap for just the glimmer of a chance at feeling the way we once did. The thing about chasing a high is, you never achieve that first high ever again. Ever. It will take more and more effort and become more and more out of control each time we try to chase it. Star Wars brings back great childhood memories with my friends and family which I will love forever. The same goes for Indiana Jones. When Indy 4 came out I refused to go see it. I knew better than to chase that high. I'm alright just remembering how ****ing awesome Raiders of the Lost Ark was the first few times I saw it, and watching it from time to time with a big smile on my face. Do we need another Star Wars? Nope. Will we get it? Yep? Is that a good thing? Who knows. They could make a quality film. They could even use the original actors and do well with it. It won't make you feel like "A New Hope", "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of The Jedi" did if you're a big fan. Nothing ever will. We'll see what happens.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

(Though to be honest' date=' the prequels completely turned me off on the idea of Jedis. They were all arrogant idiots with super powers as far as I could tell).[/quote']

I know right? I want to cry when I re-watch The Empire Strikes Back and Yoda is basically like this mystical wise-man. He's not so much a warrior as he is a disciplined spiritual master. The dialogue between Luke and Yoda is just like a sensei and pupil from any good samurai or kung-fu movie. It was incredibly well done. The force was this mystical and almost spiritual energy field full of mystery. Then the prequels came along and the Jedi were just a bunch of morons who couldn't figure out that Mr. "Hey look at me, I'm ****ing evil and obviously trying to take over the senate" Palpatine was a bad guy. Every chance they got they turned on their lightsabers and started knocking everything all over the place with force powers like they're in some ****ty star wars videogame.

God it ruined the Jedi. I hope that Disney watched the originals only and decides to continue the Jedi in the direction of "warrior-monks" rather than "arrogant blathering idiots with superpowers"

Very true, N_P.

There's a part of me that wants to see more, even if it doesn't compare to the original. I like the universe that Lucas has created. I'm not too big of a fan of the 2nd trilogy. But I've spoken to kids who (gasp!) think that trilogy is better than the original. (and that probably has everything to do with the technological flare and graphics which were impossible in the 70's).

A new generation will fall in love with the new product. That's going to be Disney's goal. Fans are short for "fanatical" and it's impossible to please them for the reasons you listed. They're looking for that high again. The only way for Disney to move is forward.

I'm really curious to see what they do. I recall the time that Star Trek was revamped and "refreshed" for a new generation. (cringe....) it was horrible. I didn't like it at all, but there was some fine moments. I hope Disney does not cheapen the franchise like Star Trek did.

Then of course Mara Jade was killed by here lovely nephew Jacen Solo,(Darth Caedus),after he went all dark side,(who was subsequently killed by his twin sister Jaina,(the Solo children didn't fair so well in the later books).

:geek:

Oh. Maybe the Thrawn series where the books are concerned,otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing something different. Wouldn't be against a much earlier time either,such as the SWTOR time frame. Maybe even use some of it as a guideline.

I think they need a total reboot of the series. I like the ideas of going way back. It needs to be dark and gritty with plenty of action. Not a fan of the Thrawn adaptation. I loved the books but for me the real appeal of Star Wars is the battle between the Jedi and Sith.

I would love to see the development of Yoda as China stated.

He was a bad ass as an old Yoda. I can only imagine what he was like previously.

I don't have any interest in seeing a CGI Yoda do back flips. None whatsoever.

Along with ruining the Jedi, the prequels ruined Yoda for me. He became a Warner Brothers character who was also a complete idiot. The most powerful Jedi of all time is sitting 2 inches from a Sith Lord for decades...and has no freaking clue?!?!?!?! And when he does figure it out, his solution is to kill him. And then when that fails, Plan B is to kill him again. And when that fails, Plan C is to run....run away. Flee! Scurry! Hide!!!!

The other problem with going into the past in a film is the problem that the prequels had at their core....we know the ending.

There is never a risk that Yoda is going to die or fall to the Dark Side or whatever. There are no stakes for us as a viewer because we know he has to live 800 more years and train Luke.

I would like to see a movie about the further adventures of Wedge. Wedge was harsh.

Too bad that the original cast is so old... the new ones are the films that should have been made in the 90's and the prequels should never have been made period.

I am psyched though... Star Wars was my life from 1977-1983...

I'll never forget a neighbor of ours when I lived in silver spring had a bootleg copy of Star Wars from Canada on Betamax tape in like 1981. He made my family a copy and we must have watched that tape 1000 times. The last time I remember watching it the image was almost gone from the tape.

Ep VII will not based on any books.

In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14855446-report-star-wars-7-wont-be-based-on-the-books

Well, we know that, whatever the plot of Episode 7, George Lucas won't have a heavy hand in the day-to-day creation of it. He's apparently written the treatments for the films, but he won't produce or direct--an excellent opportunity for another visionary to jettison Jar Jar Binks out of an airlock permanently.

As for the plot, Star Wars superfans have a theory on what they'll be seeing next. But I have a surprise for them: They're wrong. If you're a fan, you're definitely gonna want to read on.

MORE AFTER LINK

IMO, these new movies have to be set in a time that parallel the ages of Hamill, Fisher and Harrison. Re-casting with younger actors will not work.

From what I've read this was Lucas' intention early on. To go back when these actors were in their 60's and 70's to tell a new chapter. He forgot that at this point he would also be in his 60's/70's and itd be tough for him at that age to dedicate 9 more years of his life to the franchise, so he kinda bailed on the idea.

Archived