Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

foxnews: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Hopefully it isn't as bad as "John Carter"

I still have yet to catch that flick. Was it even all that bad? A lot of people have told me it isnt the greatest movie ever but it was still entertaining and not nearly as bad as the box office would lead you to believe.

IMO, these new movies have to be set in a time that parallel the ages of Hamill, Fisher and Harrison. Re-casting with younger actors will not work.

In all seriousness, have you seen Carrie Fisher recently? The idea of her having a major part in a Gazillion dollar action film is laughable. She would have to be on some kind of floating Space Rascal.

And Harrison Ford is 70.

In all seriousness' date=' have you seen Carrie Fisher recently? The idea of her having a major part in a Gazillion dollar action film is laughable. She would have to be on some kind of floating Space Rascal.

And Harrison Ford is 70.[/quote']

I wasn't talking them in leading roles. But in extended cameos. Of the three, Hamill/Skywalker character would have the biggest role.

From what I've read this was Lucas' intention early on. To go back when these actors were in their 60's and 70's to tell a new chapter. He forgot that at this point he would also be in his 60's/70's and itd be tough for him at that age to dedicate 9 more years of his life to the franchise, so he kinda bailed on the idea.

I would almost prefer to leave them out of it. Maybe a small cameo to connect some distant dots, but I think a story centering around these characters and actors as old people would kind of suck. Maybe we can pick up with someone else who gains importance and follow a different band of characters who are impacted or empowered due to the events of Return of the Jedi? I just can't envision this not coming off corny.

I would almost prefer to leave them out of it. Maybe a small cameo to connect some distant dots, but I think a story centering around these characters and actors as old people would kind of suck. Maybe we can pick up with someone else who gains importance and follow a different band of characters who are impacted or empowered due to the events of Return of the Jedi? I just can't envision this not coming off corny.

This site must have the most narrow minded people on the net. Of course the trilogy wouldn't be about them, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be included.

This site must have the most narrow minded people on the net. Of course the trilogy wouldn't be about them, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be included.

??

So, I'm narrow-minded for wanting to limit the inclusion of the 1970s/1980s actors yet you agree with my opinion? I'm either confused or missing your point.

I can't see how you can include the old gang for more than a couple scenes and the purpose should be to simply introduce the connection between the universe we know from the first 6 films to the new universe.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-disney/

Mark Hamill interview.

So you met with George this past summer and he told you about his plans to make another trilogy?

Yeah, last August, he asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did. I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the Star Wars TV series that I’ve heard about — which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases. So when he said, “We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,” I was just gobsmacked. “What? Are you nuts?!” [Laughs] I can see both sides of it. Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be — and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It’s one of those things: people either just don’t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about. We’ll see. I’m anxious to know what’s going on, but the main story [yesterday] was the sale to Disney. I have mixed feelings about that, but they haven’t done badly by Marvel and the Muppets and Pixar. It’s one of those big decisions that at first seems unusual but then the more you look at it, the more it makes sense.

When you had lunch with George, did he get into any details with you about where the story would go in the next three films, or whether you would have a part in them?

Well, no, he was just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn’t be directing. I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, “Now you can’t tell anybody!” [Laughs] Even now I’m nervous about saying anything. I just don’t know!

I still have yet to catch that flick. Was it even all that bad? A lot of people have told me it isnt the greatest movie ever but it was still entertaining and not nearly as bad as the box office would lead you to believe.

It's not mind blowing, but it was actually pretty entertaining. Definitely worth a rental when you have nothing else to do.

I wasn't talking them in leading roles. But in extended cameos. Of the three, Hamill/Skywalker character would have the biggest role.

Hamill must be in episode VII. Or at least, the character Skywalker must be in it. He is the last living Jedi. I imagine he would be training a number of knights. I also wonder if there would be cloning of Luke occurring just to raise the number of people with the proper mitochondrial makeup to harness the Force.

They could easily push the story towards the end of Skywalker's life (to fit with Hamill's age), after a number of Jedi's are trained and active members of the New Republic.

Not that George would allow it but I'd really a love a reboot of the prequels to properly set up 'sequels.' Those things could have been so much more and I could even see a somewhat lower budget animated version of them (not that garbage Clone Wars animation either) that could be the "re-telling" of the Fall of the Republic.

Fwiw, all of the folks harping on the age of Hamill/Fisher should consider this:

Christopher Lee (Darth Sidious) was in his mid-80s during the filming of Episodes 2 and 3.

Exactly. People on this thread are being silly about the original actors and their (potential) role in this future trilogy.

Obviously, Hamill is too old to play the young farm boy turned Jedi. His Skywalker character would now (30 years later) be a Jedi Master. Maybe at Kenobi's level, but not quite at Yoda's level. In the 30 years since the events of "RotJ", he helped re-bulid the Republic and the Jedi order, but in later years became a recluse as many were always wary of him, given his father's dubious history in the galaxy. They could have him spending time on some isolated planet alone, learning the more spiritual side of being a Jedi, returning when problems arise.

It's funny reading the posts on this thread saying Fisher can't be in the movie because she isn't young or sexy anymore.

Of course she isn't. :ols: They wouldn't ask her to be. :ols: They'd have younger ladies to play that role.

Her character, Leia, would now be a senior leader of the New Republic, and a Jedi in her own right (though maybe not on Luke's level cause she doesn't work at it like he does). She may also still not have come to grips with the idea that Vader was her father (you know, the man that helped blow up her home planet, and probably killed a lot of friends and family she knew growing up).

Ford's Han Solo character would be the toughest to deal with. At 70+, he couldn't be the ****y, smart-aleck daredevil of the early trilogy. They could probably give him (and Leia) a son that would be a chip off the old block to deal with that, but honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with his character.

These are some ideas of how these characters would fit into a new trilogy. They wouldn't be the leads (except maybe Hamill's Skywalker character). They would have younger actors playing new roles (maybe the grown-up children of all the men and women of the original Rebel Alliance and now New Republc) who are having the torch (lightsaber ? :) ) passed to them to run the galaxy as their parents grow older.

It will be interesting to see what direction they take.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2012 at 09:18 AM ----------

Not that George would allow it but I'd really a love a reboot of the prequels to properly set up 'sequels.' Those things could have been so much more and I could even see a somewhat lower budget animated version of them (not that garbage Clone Wars animation either) that could be the "re-telling" of the Fall of the Republic.

Nah.

No more prequels, IMHO. I want to see storylines where we don't know what is going to happen. Not flashbacks that could be entertaining, but in the end, just a lot of time-marking as we already know what is going to happen.

Nah.

No more prequels, IMHO. I want to see storylines where we don't know what is going to happen. Not flashbacks that could be entertaining, but in the end, just a lot of time-marking as we already know what is going to happen.

I get what you're saying but I mean a reboot where you don't know necessarily what's going to happen. I mean, sure, you know at SOME point the Empire will rise, etc. I think the Old republic storylines actually portray a lot (not all) of a "Fall of the Republic" situation in a much better way than the prequels (other than I think the Star Forge is an absurd idea overall.) Have Anakin be an actual grown man when he meets Obi-Wan, consistent with the OT's exposition, have superior character arc for Anakin and Obi-Wan and just have a superior version that meshes with the OT, tells a deeper and grander story and then sets the stage for the 7-9.

I just...they were so bad I don't even consider them 'canon'.

Archived