Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

On 3/29/2017 at 11:01 PM, youngchew said:

Four Lions probably?  I think it was Riz Ahmed's first movie.  Pretty darn funny, a group of idiot terrorists plan an attack

That was a movie that defied expectations.  The previews for it set it up to be a ridiculous comedy, but I was surprised at how serious it could be at points.  And then there's points where you've got crows wearing tiny little bomb vests.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 11:44 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Regarding It, are they making that two movies? I originally thought they just didn't show the adults in the trailer because they were saving that portion but that is going to be a lot to cram into 2.5 hours. Seems like the kids will be one movie and the adults would be a sequel. I had forgotten the original was a two-part TV special 

Kinda disappointed about having to wait for the entire thing but it will make for a better movie(s) and story imo. 

Thats a great point.  I hope so.

Also, the Tupac movie looks great.  The actor playing Tupac looks a lot like him.  

5 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

That was a movie that defied expectations.  The previews for it set it up to be a ridiculous comedy, but I was surprised at how serious it could be at points.  And then there's points where you've got crows wearing tiny little bomb vests.

Haha, indeed.  It did get white serious at times.  Really good flick.  I bet that was probably Riz' breakthrough performance 

2 hours ago, youngchew said:

Haha, indeed.  It did get white serious at times.  Really good flick.  I bet that was probably Riz' breakthrough performance 

Is he the one that was in Rogue One?  'Cause I definitely recognized him as "that guy from Four Lions" when I saw it.

I'm not sure if any of you guys are into the Cocaine Cowboys stuff like I am, but Tom Cruise is doing a movie where he's playing Barry Seal.  Aside from the fact that Cruise in no way, shape or form resembles Barry Seal, I've been looking forward to this for a long time.  Ron Howard is listed as a producer on it which gives some hope, but Doug Liman is listed as director so it could go either way.

Anyway, it's listed for a September release which isn't terribly far away but aside from pictures from the set there's no trailer, movie poster, anything.  It's called American Made.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what happened, but the story seems like a spin-off of the books and not the Dark Tower series. I think its supposed to be a sequel, or take place after the books? Not sure. 

Obviously the project was too ambitious for their original idea - I think they were going to do 3 movies and a tv-series in-between  - and this is the unfortunate end result. Looks like your average action/sci-fi flick. With Elba+McConaughey it should be a cool, fun movie. I'll still see it. 

As a Dark Tower adaptation, looks like **** though. It almost looks like a fanboys worst nightmare. Now see why everyone complained when they casted Elba. That doesn't look like Roland the Gunslinger at all, it looks like Idris Elba in a leather jacket. And that's what people didn't want, not that Roland can't be a black guy, but that the character would be changed. Kind of hard to explain, but the character is more The Gunslinger, then the individual person Roland of Gilead. (physically the character should appear as close to a caricature as possible) Or at least, that should be a journey throughout the entire story finding out who Roland truly is, and why he does what he does. If you understand that, then you can understand the entire 7 book series. 

What's so disappointing to me, even from a Hollywood-business aspect, is the mediocrity. And not just making a mediocre movie, the mediocrity all around. This story has so much potential just from a marketing aspect. This story breaks the 4th wall all the time and goes in and out of parallel worlds. (King is writing the story himself in the story, etc)  You could do some sort of promotions from inside the movie, making it appear a character from inside the movie is trying to contact you. Or something that implies the story has a life of its own. You could plant some roses, symbols important to the story, make some fake websites, like what LOST did when it came out. Maybe if you find a rose something cool happens. I also see no link to Magic in the trailer. Seems like they want to separate this film from a Harry Potter at all costs. But again, I see huge potential there for some cool marketing with those types of folks that love these books. People who identify as Wiccan for example. Maybe some goofy publicity stunt at a Wiccan festival. 

Edited by Mooka
  • Like 5

I don't wanna see Harrison Ford run onscreen ever again.  He looks lije he needs a stunt double just to get into a light gallop.  He runs like the 80 year old man he is now.  

On 5/3/2017 at 11:37 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Dark Tower trailer.  Yawn...

Idris Elba looks like he got all the cool bits. McConaghey seemed weird, but not intentionally or in a creepy, menacing way.  Which he can certainly do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 0:34 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure if any of you guys are into the Cocaine Cowboys stuff like I am, but Tom Cruise is doing a movie where he's playing Barry Seal.  Aside from the fact that Cruise in no way, shape or form resembles Barry Seal, I've been looking forward to this for a long time.  Ron Howard is listed as a producer on it which gives some hope, but Doug Liman is listed as director so it could go either way.

Anyway, it's listed for a September release which isn't terribly far away but aside from pictures from the set there's no trailer, movie poster, anything.  It's called American Made.  

If anyone gives a ****:  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

I dont like the tone. Coupled with the poster, the way they're marketing the story, they're surely gonna whitewash this story, if they’re selling it as “for the good guys” on the poster.

The trailer made it seem light, and the story most certainly is not. They Pain and Gained it, taking something serious and lightening it up, strictly going by the trailer. We’ll see if the actual movie keeps that tone. The CIA running drugs isn’t really goofy material when you know all the tentacles of the story and where those drugs ultimately wound up.

Kill the Messenger is like a cousin to this movie and took it more seriously (again, strictly judging AM by the trailer).

Edited by justice98

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont like the tone. Coupled with the poster, the way they're marketing the story, they're surely gonna whitewash this story, if they’re selling it as “for the good guys” on the poster.

The trailer made it seem light, and the story most certainly is not. They Pain and Gained it, taking something serious and lightening it up, strictly going by the trailer. We’ll see if the actual movie keeps that tone. The CIA running drugs isn’t really goofy material when you know all the tentacles of the story and where those drugs ultimately wound up.

Kill the Messenger is like a cousin to this movie and took it more seriously (again, strictly judging AM by the trailer).

I agree with that.  And Barry Seal wound up shot to death in his car down in Louisiana somewhere.  

I'll still probably want to see this but this trailer does make it seem light.  I was hoping for something darker, truer to the actual story.  

FYI to you fantasy fans out there: A Wheel of Time show is in the works. 

‘Wheel of Time’ TV Series Lands at Sony

The long-gestating “Wheel of Time” TV series adaptation is moving forward with Sony Pictures Television.

The series will be based on the high fantasy novels written by Robert Jordan, the pen name of James O. Rigney Jr. There are 14 novels in total, beginning with “The Eye of the World” in 1990 and concluding with “A Memory of Light,” which was finished by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan’s death in 2007. They follow the quest to find the Dragon Reborn, who it is said will help unite forces to combat The Dark One.

Sony will produce along with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures. Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” the Netflix series “Hemlock Grove,” and the NBC series “Chuck.” Red Eagle partners Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will executive produce along with Radar’s Ted Field and Mike Weber. Darren Lemke will also executive produce, with Jordan’s widow Harriet McDougal serving as consulting producer.

That dude's name is actually Larry Mondragon.... lol. 

And yes, this terrible Billy Zane pilot that aired at 1:30am does exist:

• 2 weeks later...