Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM: D. Hall on Cruz Game Winner

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Youre not smelling what Im cooking. It's not what he said, its the fact that he said anything at all.

Maybe he said it "on purpose." Maybe talking to guys in the lockeroom and keeping it in house was not working. Maybe he felt like if he said something embarrassing to the media about the secondary, they'd be embarrassed and in turn, amp up their play next week. Did you ever think of that?

---------- Post added October-25th-2012 at 08:51 AM ----------

Call me oldschool. I like the Monks and Greens of the world who do their job and stay relatively quiet.

Funny that some of us "old school" fans only remember Monk and Green. Dexter talked **** all day long saying he'd knock Danny White out. Russ Grimm talked **** all day long to Randy White and anyone who would listen. Wilbur Marshall was one of the biggest **** talkers in the game. It's not exclusive to this ear.

---------- Post added October-25th-2012 at 08:56 AM ----------

Kiss Eli's feet, it would seem.

Dexter needs to come back and re-teach this fan base on how to handle a rivalry.

~Bang

"I'm going to knock the qwartaback out!"- D. Manley

---------- Post added October-25th-2012 at 09:01 AM ----------

I love how the last 4 teams we played with the exception of the 49ers said we "didn't beat them." They gave the game away. Well peeps, the Giants are 11-2 in their last 13 games, so keep giving them away......

The comparison to Tuck and JPP talking is a joke. Win something (like a Super Bowl or two) then talk D-Hall!

How about you be careful with the trollish comments and remember where you are?

The sooner #26 is off the field the BETTER this D will become. Wilson is NOT an NFL CB!!. He's TERRIBLE. Every game this year he's cost us. EVERY game!!!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/don_banks/10/24/nfl-week-7-power-rankings/power-NFL7-tx1.jpg

I disagree man, I think Wilson is a serviceable starting corner. He may actually be the best "cover" corner on our team. He actually played his responsibility correctly on that play anyway. We had him doubled so Wilson was supposed to play underneath (albeit Cruz speed did result in Wilson being farther underneath than he should have been) and Williams was supposed to cover him over the top creating a sandwich if you will, essentially cutting off the route tree. If Cruz runs a slant or an out, Wilson is underneath to cut it off. If he goes deep, Williams should be there to cover him. Wilson played his part correctly, although he ended up a little too far underneath, Williams was really the guy that got torched.

And again, it all goes back to, who the hell is going to play in Wilson's place if we cut him. Seriously, it's not a huge compliment to them, but Wilson and Hall are the best players in our secondary. If you get rid of them we become that much worse. And THAT is what you want?

Got to find the stats and if someone posted it here sorry -- but last week on the radio they quoted a football site that QB's are completing some sort of insanely good number of passes against D. Hall, something like 80% of the time they throw his way they complete the pass, I'll see if i can find it.

This is what I found : Top 10 Most Overrated NFL Players

"DeAngelo Hall is fortunate that the Redskins are more than $30 million under the cap; otherwise, he could have been a salary casualty at his $6 million price tag.

I mentioned that Hall has surrendered 13 touchdowns in the past two seasons, which ties Stanford Routt for most by any cornerback in that span. Quarterbacks have completed 70.5 percent of their passes while targeting Hall since 2010, maintaining a passer rating of about 103."

I would like to say to him, before throwing your teammates under the bus (eventhough Madieu is to be blamed) and calling them misfits, please look at the man in the mirror.

I am so irritated with our defense right now, particularly the coaches (scheme). If our defense was at least average, I can't even imagine what our record would be and the actual potential to go deep into the playoffs (yes the guy who was praying for 8-8 at the beginning of the season just said that)

I blame him for running his lousy mouth on and on, before saying you can do something while you never done it in your entire career you better clean up your own mess. This guy isn't worthy of his contract, he better focus on playing hard on a weekly basis before claiming he could play Qb in this league.

I agree Hall runs his mouth a lot...IMO it shows that he actually gives a crap.....we've become so incredibly PC in this world that players don't talk any smack where we, the fans can hear it.(Hall has been around for awhile and that's how it was when he came into the league..you talk smack...your opponents talk smack)..you have to know that the smack talk is all over the field right? It's part of the game...And did you really think Hall was claiming he could play QB? No that's not what he was saying...he was saying that pass was so easy even a D-back could've made it work...I would put it like this...that pass was so easy even a caveman can do it...Hall is average...he gets hated on all the time(mostly for his diarrhea of the mouth)...but he's the brightest spot in our secondary at the moment. which isn't something I'm jumpin for joy over.....he wasn't covering Cruz on that play..he doesn't deserve to be blamed for it's failure....

D. Hall is 10th in total tackles amongst DBs, tied for 15th amongst DBs in interceptions. He's playing well and he's being honest. WTH do some of you want him to do???

@SC_DougFarrar : Per Stats, Inc, DeAngelo Hall tied for the most targets (55) among CBs. Catches on 67% of targets, 10+ YPT, 3 TDs. Might be time to shut up.

I agree Hall runs his mouth a lot...IMO it shows that he actually gives a crap.....we've become so incredibly PC in this world that players don't talk any smack where we, the fans can hear it.(Hall has been around for awhile and that's how it was when he came into the league..you talk smack...your opponents talk smack)..you have to know that the smack talk is all over the field right? It's part of the game...And did you really think Hall was claiming he could play QB? No that's not what he was saying...he was saying that pass was so easy even a D-back could've made it work...I would put it like this...that pass was so easy even a caveman can do it...Hall is average...he gets hated on all the time(mostly for his diarrhea of the mouth)...but he's the brightest spot in our secondary at the moment. which isn't something I'm jumpin for joy over.....he wasn't covering Cruz on that play..he doesn't deserve to be blamed for it's failure....

Agreed, but I don't like his attitude. I love Fletcher because he lets his actions on the field speak for him and not his mouth. I don't like Hall because he never played up to his huge contract, called his teammates "misfits". When you criticize your teammates for what they've done or what they didn't do is one thing, but at the same time you must be "faultless" on the topic, it is just a question of credibility. I would have no problem to hear London calling out his teammates because this guy is the best tackler on the team and a true leader.

While our pass defense is absolutely horrible, I don't think the defense should be taking all the blame for the losses. I didn't really think about it before but the games that we have lost the defense has scored 7 of their own - offense scored 21 against rams, 24 against bengals and 10 against falcons.

We have actually had the opportunity to tie or win all 4 games we have lost (2 ended due to boneheaded penalties and 2 ended in turnovers)

Again, the defense DOES blow, but mental mistakes offensively hasn't helped at the end of games

@SC_DougFarrar : Per Stats, Inc, DeAngelo Hall tied for the most targets (55) among CBs. Catches on 67% of targets, 10+ YPT, 3 TDs. Might be time to shut up.

It's not so simple.. he's been playing underneath, and the Redskins are selling out to stop the deep ball. (all but once, it seems)

So.. he gets targeted along with the linebackers. It's a matter of scheme,, not necessarily because of QBs feeling particularly comfortable or not picking on him.

Look how many times opponents are in 2nd and 2 as opposed to winging out big pass plays.

There's an old addage that is always true. Offense takes what the defense will give them ... and they'll do it many more times than they will ever try to dictate to the defense during the course of a game.

We're weak in pass rush and speed in the secondary. Right now we're 'giving' them the 8 yard ins and outs and quick slants .. trading the deep stuff and crushing the run.

~Bang

Agreed, but I don't like his attitude. I love Fletcher because he lets his actions on the field speak for him and not his mouth. I don't like Hall because he never played up to his huge contract, called his teammates "misfits". When you criticize your teammates for what they've done or what they didn't do is one thing, but at the same time you must be "faultless" on the topic, it is just a question of credibility. I would have no problem to hear London calling out his teammates because this guy is the best tackler on the team and a true leader.

I understand where you're coming from...I'm not exactly crazy about critisizing teammates either..but perhaps Hall feels like it will motivate them on some level..not saying it's right one way or the other...but he knows his teammates better than we do...I would venture to say that his teammates know him as well...and probably have become used to his mouth by now..sometimes criticism can be a motivating factor....I've heard Hall take the blame on numerous occassions..so he can be at fault...and I love London as well...LOL!

I honestly think Hall was trying to say that his own team screwed that up. Not necessarily trying to take anything away from the Giants... Tuck and Eli however took offense to it and fired back with rude comments... A lot like a young whiny kid would do. I am hating the Giants this year just as much as the Cowboys. They run their mouth and do anything to win, even if its dirty. I'm really tired of the entire organization and a win would have put a smile on my face for the entire week. Too bad we played against the Giants and the refs last weekend.

It's not so simple.. he's been playing underneath, and the Redskins are selling out to stop the deep ball. (all but once, it seems)

So.. he gets targeted along with the linebackers. It's a matter of scheme,, not necessarily because of QBs feeling particularly comfortable or not picking on him.

Look how many times opponents are in 2nd and 2 as opposed to winging out big pass plays.

There's an old addage that is always true. Offense takes what the defense will give them ... and they'll do it many more times than they will ever try to dictate to the defense during the course of a game.

We're weak in pass rush and speed in the secondary. Right now we're 'giving' them the 8 yard ins and outs and quick slants .. trading the deep stuff and crushing the run.

~Bang

Yeah, that's a fair point to make in all this, but it's still a very high completion percentage. If you look at the actual yards per catch against him and not just targets it jumps up to 15+ yards per.

I'm not saying he's the problem in our defense, we have a lot of issues, just saying he's not really in a position to do a lot of talking. I'm fine with trash talking to rivals before a game and during the game but sometimes when you get beat it's best to dial it back a notch.

Yeah, that's a fair point to make in all this, but it's still a very high completion percentage. If you look at the actual yards per catch against him and not just targets it jumps up to 15+ yards per.

I'm not saying he's the problem in our defense, we have a lot of issues, just saying he's not really in a position to do a lot of talking. I'm fine with trash talking to rivals before a game and during the game but sometimes when you get beat it's best to dial it back a notch.

Oh hell yes it's a high percentage.

Too high.

They may be taking what's underneath, but they're getting it way too often.

Hall isn't necesarily in my doghouse, any more than the whole defense is in my doghouse, and he's as culpable as anyone when it comes to this.

Offenses are not getting too many deep balls, but they've been more than content to march down with 8 yard throw after 8 yard throw.

He's been tackling well, and overall he's been playing well.. but I'd like to see some passes broken up.. some routes disrupted. 2nd and 2 is all too common.

I don't blame him for 'bad coverage'.. I think a lot of folks really don't understand the dynamic between CB and safety and how one affects the other.. and our safeties are poor, and our linebckers are iffy at best in helping out covering underneath.

Match all that to the lack of pressure and you get what we see.

~Bang

This is what I found : Top 10 Most Overrated NFL Players

"DeAngelo Hall is fortunate that the Redskins are more than $30 million under the cap; otherwise, he could have been a salary casualty at his $6 million price tag.

I mentioned that Hall has surrendered 13 touchdowns in the past two seasons, which ties Stanford Routt for most by any cornerback in that span. Quarterbacks have completed 70.5 percent of their passes while targeting Hall since 2010, maintaining a passer rating of about 103."

I would like to say to him, before throwing your teammates under the bus (eventhough Madieu is to be blamed) and calling them misfits, please look at the man in the mirror.

I wouldn't go as far to support the idea of over rated. D-Hall has he's share of mistakes, but some of those stats lie, he isn't at fault with some of it. You have to blame some of it on the soft coverage coaching schemes that Jim calls and he doesn't have enough help surrounding him. It shows you how many problems their is with a weak secondary, especially with the safety positions. D-Hall, who made numerous pro bowl appearances, was actually having a successful career until Haslett came into town.

I wouldn't go as far to support the idea of over rated. D-Hall has he's share of mistakes, but some of those stats lie, he isn't at fault with some of it. You have to blame some of it on the soft coverage coaching schemes that Jim calls and he doesn't have enough help surrounding him. It shows you how many problems their is with a weak secondary, especially with the safety positions. D-Hall, who made numerous pro bowl appearances, was actually having a successful career until Haslett came into town.

You may have a point here, about Haslett schemes reponsability. What struck me during the game was why DHall who's supposed to be our best CB wasn't asked to cover Cruz (even on a double coverage)? It seemed obvious to me that in a hurry up to score offense Eli was going to pass to his go to guy Cruz.

You may have a point here, about Haslett schemes reponsability. What struck me during the game was why DHall who's supposed to be our best CB wasn't asked to cover Cruz (even on a double coverage)? It seemed obvious to me that in a hurry up to score offense Eli was going to pass to his go to guy Cruz.

I'd guess because he is the only DB with a chance at covering a guy one on one.

IMO, Hall shouldn't have said anything because it pretty much states the obvious with the coverage they were playing. The guy talks too much and doesn't back it up with his play. The guy needs to STFU. The secondary needs a complete overhaul this offseason starting with him and what remains true to this day is that they still haven't recovered from the loss of #21 (RIP)

I don't think DHall is our best corner. I think Wilson is better. At least more steady. If you were going to guess who is more likely to give up a big play in the last minute of a game between Wilson and Hall, I'd say Hall.

yeah but they talk crap about what they are GOING TO DO, unlike Hall who is making weak excuses for what happened. Looks bad on Hall and the team.

He just stated the obvious, wasn't really talking ****. What happened looks much worse on us, than Hall admitting that is what happened.

Archived