Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Veep Debate

Larry

Saw this article on Yahoo:

Yahoo: The truth behind the numbers: Factchecking the VP debate

And I thought that was an interesting concept: Debunking the lies that we all know, in advance, the politicians are going to tell.

Seemed worth discussing. But didn't really belong in the Obama or the Romney threads. And I figure that there's going to be a thread for the debate, later, anyway, so I'll start if now.

Last week's presidential debate impacted the race more than most voters expected: after his lackluster performance, President Obama's lead has shrunk and Mitt Romney's campaign has been reinvigorated. So, Thursday night's debate between vice president Joe Biden and Republican VP nominee Paul Ryan matters more than many debates between potential veeps past: While Biden has a chance to do damage control and stall the Romney-Ryan surge, Ryan will press for further gains.

At Centre College in Danville, KY, at 9 p.m. ET, Biden and Ryan will tangle on issues including health care, the national debt, and taxes. Need help keeping the facts straight as the contenders pontificate from their podiums? Here's a guide to some of what you may hear during the debate, and to what's maybe a little bit wrong with it.

Lyin' Ryan. Cute. Did you come up with that all by yourself?

This will be more of a beatdown than the first presidential debate was. I expect the same dodging of the issues by the incumbent, and the same superior knowledge and delivery by the challenger.

Is Libya fair game in this debate? Or is this strictly domestic? I think the embassy attack, the complete and utter fabrication of the reason for it, the fact that the ambassador requested increased security beforehand, and our apology for an Al Qaeda attack on U.S. soil would get "Smokin' Joe" (yeah, I came up with that) boiling.

The Veep debate is one of 2 recent traditions that is incredibly worthless and I wish would be done away with...the other being the new tradition of the mandatory speech by the candidate's wife at the convention.

Who cares what a couple people contending for what Adams called the most useless position in govt think or say? People only watch this hoping for a repeat of the infamous "You're no John Kennedy" insult from the first of these pointless spectacles.

The Veep debate is one of 2 recent traditions that is incredibly worthless and I wish would be done away with...the other being the new tradition of the mandatory speech by the candidate's wife at the convention.

Who cares what a couple people contending for what Adams called the most useless position in govt think or say? People only watch this hoping for a repeat of the infamous "You're no John Kennedy" insult from the first of these pointless spectacles.

I'd agree except Biden makes it a must watch for me :)

This will be more of a beatdown than the first presidential debate was. I expect the same dodging of the issues by the incumbent, and the same superior knowledge and delivery by the challenger.

Is Libya fair game in this debate? Or is this strictly domestic? I think the embassy attack, the complete and utter fabrication of the reason for it, the fact that the ambassador requested increased security beforehand, and our apology for an Al Qaeda attack on U.S. soil would get "Smokin' Joe" (yeah, I came up with that) boiling.

I borrowed the "Lyin' Ryan" phrase! :silly: It does fit, though.

Did Ryan vote down increased embassy security? If he did, he'd better beware of Biden calling him on it, as all who voted down increased embassy security should be called out.

---------- Post added October-11th-2012 at 12:11 PM ----------

http://www.debatedrinking.com/

Take a drink* every time your candidate says anything on his list

If you are drinking to

Joe Biden:

Millionaires

Voucher

Inherited

General Motors

Middle Class

Literally

Bin Laden

Teachers

Syria

Obama

If you are drinking to

Paul Ryan:

ObamaCare

Reform

Small Business

Libya

Crisis

Freedom

You Know

Generation

Government

Reagan

Sheesh! We'll all be drunk by the end of the first 15 minutes! :evilg:

Apology to Al Qaeda? Oh grow up. I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from conservatives like you when you are willing to ignore all the lies coming from Romney these days. Should Libya be discussed? Sure it should. The administration didn't do a good job explaining what happen and deserves to be knocked for it and the investigation into what happen should continue. Ryan should also have to answer for why Republicans cut embassy security funding.

http://www.debatedrinking.com/

Take a drink* every time your candidate says anything on his list

If you are drinking to

Joe Biden:

If you are drinking to

Paul Ryan:

/QUOTE]

Looks like the folks running the debate have the Media ready:

https://twitter.com/susanferrechio/status/256404841453215744:

This is included in the media "swag bag" at the VP debate in Danville.

4A%20WHISKY%20B%204.htm

A look at Paul Ryan, the debater, from a former adversary.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82288.html

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — To those who know best — his past debate foes — Paul Ryan is an agile debater, able to balance explaining the complex federal budget process while still looking like the youthful boy next door.

That’s according to a review of the debates and forums he participated in as a Wisconsin House candidate since 1998, and interviews with his Democratic challengers who spoke to POLITICO about his debating skills.

So, basically: he's charming, slick and well spoken. Also, he's a serial liar. Nothing earth shattering. We knew this already.

It'll be interesting to see the stark contrast in Biden (who the article described as a “fairly liberal member of the Senate" during his tenure there) to the paleo-conservative styling of Paul Ryan.

The moderator just addressed the audience.

Interesting lady, lol.

She said she's used to being in warzones so she's a bit uncomfortable having her back to the audience.

The debate starts in less than 10 minutes.

Ha ha, just found this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49365912/ns/local_news-cincinnati_oh/t/obama-attended-wedding-vp-debate-moderator/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

Obama attended '91 wedding of VP debate moderator

Controversy! :silly:

Archived