Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Griffin III faces mild concussion

Rumple_Stiltskin

Why are people talking about Griffin having to learn to slide on that play? There are various times where he should slide, but this wasn't one of them. He clearly had no room against the sideline to do it safely... His options were to run out of bounds or throw the ball away.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 05:46 AM ----------

Me too. I like Cousins though, and he did a good job today. I just think Rex knows the offense way better at this point.

Start Rexy and feed AlMo until Griff is 100% for sure. Do not want to risk multiple concussions with him.

Hopefully it is not too serious and we get RG3 back soon, but don't rush it.

Agreed, I'm way more confident going into a game with Grossman as the starter. Dude is composed and knows how to play the game. Cousins was in over his head. It's that simple. Shanahan has to understand that not every rookie QB is RG III. Asking him to come into a situation like that was just asking for trouble. That's why I haven't understood why Grossman has been inactive. I thought games like today were what we brought him back for

Probably no big deal as they did not put him back in the game and they did report it immediately after the game, but one never knows these days what the NFL might do (see my sig).

I did think to myself that the report he was "shaken up" was a bit old school. The NFL is taking concussions much more seriously now.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 04:55 AM ----------

I'm surprised no one has pointed out Witherspoon and other ATL players jumping up and down celebrating while Griffin was laying on the ground less than 5 feet away. I mean, if he coughed the ball up or the hit did something "special" I might give it a pass, but the bottom line, they were celebrating an injury and it was classless and they should have been penalized for it. Then, to make it worse, they were dancing at the end of the game just to add more insult to injury.

I didn't notice it, if true shame on them.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 05:11 AM ----------

I cannot believe nobody has posted this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vb0qPzCBmw

Tough to watch it again, but I think it was clearly a dirty hit. Griffin was obviously giving himself up on the play and the linebacker went for the unnecessary kill shot. That's what teams will do against him though, so he needs to learn to protect himself better. He should have just thrown that ball out of the back of the end zone.

It looked pretty bad. I really hope he is okay.

No knowing what quarter it was...not good. I doubt the league gives him the all clear this week. That was a nasty hit, but one that he could and should of avoided. Get better quick RG.

Cousins was obviously amped up and put too much on those throws. The fact that it started pouring rain when he came in did not help.

honestly, it surprised me when i heard he didn't know the score or the quarter.

watching the replay, he doesn't stay on the ground for very long (reminded me of the play where he dove for they pylon) and he gets up and doesn't have that "no one's home" look in his eyes. I really thought he was just shook and would come back in based off how he looked on the sideline

U

Thing that pisses me off is this hit never happens if they just hand the freaking ball off play before. Why that stupid direct snap to Morris when he was rushing for 8 yards a carry. Or run the unstoppable QB draw. Line up and play football. Damn.

Yup. That direct snap was a terrible play call.

does anyone know if Robert will undergo testing today and can we expect an update on his status?

I would think it will be similar to Robinson last week were we hear if he has passed the tests Wednesday and if he does he will be limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday but cleared to play Sunday. I will be surprised if he does not play Sunday.

I would think it will be similar to Robinson last week were we hear if he has passed the tests Wednesday and if he does he will be limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday but cleared to play Sunday. I will be surprised if he does not play Sunday.

okay. i thought i read or heard somewhere that he would be evaluated today so i was hoping someone in the know could confirm that

U

Yup. That direct snap was a terrible play call.

Why, because it didn't work? Gimme a break, I bet if we had called a draw with RGIII that hadn't worked you would have been up in arms about not getting him injured or being too predictable. Even though those QB draws have been money. I thought the direct snap was a pretty damn good call, considering they were probably expecting a draw and we had not shown the play on film yet it was a good way to keep them off balance. It looked like Morris slipped a little and the play wasn't blocked well; that's not the coaches' fault and has nothing to do with it being a good play call or not.

So much whining and pointing fingers at the coaches, I thought that was a good call but the execution was poor. Griffin wouldn't have been injured if he had just run out of bounds or gotten rid of the ball. He tried to slide too late and the defender inadvertently hit his head. It sucks but it happens, just one of those wrong place, wrong time plays.

Why, because it didn't work? Gimme a break, I bet if we had called a draw with RGIII that hadn't worked you would have been up in arms about not getting him injured or being too predictable. Even though those QB draws have been money. I thought the direct snap was a pretty damn good call, considering they were probably expecting a draw and we had not shown the play on film yet it was a good way to keep them off balance. It looked like Morris slipped a little and the play wasn't blocked well; that's not the coaches' fault and has nothing to do with it being a good play call or not.

So much whining and pointing fingers at the coaches, I thought that was a good call but the execution was poor. Griffin wouldn't have been injured if he had just run out of bounds or gotten rid of the ball. He tried to slide too late and the defender inadvertently hit his head. It sucks but it happens, just one of those wrong place, wrong time plays.

Ding.

It didn't work. If it had, then we'd be cheering the play.

Always ****ing about something just because it doesn't work.

If Shanahan goes for it on fourth down and doesn't make it, then he's putting us in position to fail.

If we don't go for it, then we're playing scared.

If he does make it, then he's too much of a risk-taker.

There is no satisfying fans.

I remember a play where Tom Brady slid late like that, and London Fletcher got called for an unnecessary roughness penalty for hitting him. Griffin was clearly giving himself up. If an unathletic QB like Manning or Brady slides like that, even if it is late, it's a flag. Why? Because it's unnecessary. With athletic QB's, the refs don't show as much sympathy and let hits like that occur. It's frustrating because all QB's should be protected. No way could we have hit Matt Ryan like that and not have a flag thrown.

I hate to agree with Michael Vick, but he was right when he said the refs are quick to look at athletic QB's as runners and allow them to take way more punishment.

I personally don't think it was a dirty hit at all. I just think it was a freak play that ended up badly for RG3.

To me, it looks like RG3 didn't even really initiate a normal QB slide, but rather to me, it looks like he simply slipped and caused him to fall in an unexpected manner, so he couldn't even really brace for impact. And the defender was just lowering his shoulders to make a hit on him.

Fedex Field is in such crappy shape too. That probably didn't help him keep his balance and slip even more.

I thought the awkwardness of his late slide makes the play appear a bit dirty. It was more dumb on his part, than dirty on the LB. Scrambling QBs are bulls eyes and he needs to expect to be hit like that again in the same situation, 10 times out of time. Hitting them is how defenses stop them.

I don't like the knee jerk response to immediate questions/answers after big hits. Any other non head injury that happens on the field, I bet the answer to what is the score is the same as III's was. Its just never asked, and the player writhing in pain doesn't care. I bet some players after the game don't know the exact final score, and didn't get hit in the head.

honestly, it surprised me when i heard he didn't know the score or the quarter.

watching the replay, he doesn't stay on the ground for very long (reminded me of the play where he dove for they pylon) and he gets up and doesn't have that "no one's home" look in his eyes. I really thought he was just shook and would come back in based off how he looked on the sideline

I actually saw the opposite. As soon as he stood up and took off his helmet, I said to my friends, "He's got a concussion." I've had two before, and I definitely recognized that glazed look in his eyes.

anyone else find the hit to be a bit of a cheap shot? griffin was sliding.. he was down & dude launched head first at a sliding qb.. he was going down already.. i smell a fine.

In today's NFL, it's borderline - leaning towards dirty.

Ten years ago, it would not have been an issue.

I thought RGIII slid late and awkwardly and it was not helmet to helmet. At the same time, it was a defender going for a kill shot.

I don't know. I'm kind of sick of evaluating every tackle now like it's the Zapruder film.

Archived