Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Griffin III faces mild concussion

Rumple_Stiltskin

anyone else find the hit to be a bit of a cheap shot? griffin was sliding.. he was down & dude launched head first at a sliding qb.. he was going down already.. i smell a fine.

RGIII slid late, the defender was already committed and he hit him with his shoulder not his helmet. It was a clean hit.

Hopefully RGIII has been reminded by waking up with a headache - and will I have not doubt by reminded quite forcefully by both Mike and Kyle anyway - that in that situation you throw the ball out the back of the end zone and trott off while the field goal team 'entertains' us ......

per Grant Paulsen twitter: Rex Grossman on RG3: "I just saw him for a little bit. He seemed like he was feeling better..He seemed like he was with it after the game."

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 12:39 PM ----------

per Grant Paulsen twitter: Deangelo Hall said he talked with Griffin post-game: "He was sympathetic." Hall said Griffin apologized. The QB felt he let the #Redskins down.

It just didn't have to happen. There's zero reason that ball shouldn't have been in the stands.

I agree. Hopefully, he learns a valuable lesson from this and realizes that sometimes ditching the ball in the stands is more beneficial in the big scheme of the things. I love the guy's warrior mentality, but he'll have to come to the conclusion that he can't carry the burden of the franchise on every play.

We might look back at this play as a critically important moment in the development of RG3 into a lethal pocket passer. I am still very optimistic.

We all knew it was coming sooner or later.. I'm with you on this though. RG3 is is smart, he will learn from it.

I don't think the play was dirty, but it is still interesting to see when the refs decide to throw a flag or not. I saw the clip from yesterday where Andrew Luck was standing in the pocket (with the ball in his hand) and got rocked, I thought this was a clean hit also but the yellow flag came flying out of that refs hand like a rocket.

We might look back at this play as a critically important moment in the development of RG3 into a lethal pocket passer. I am still very optimistic.
We all knew it was coming sooner or later.. I'm with you on this though. RG3 is is smart, he will learn from it.

As bad as it is was and the "sky is falling" feeling that sprung from it, this may be a blessing in disguise in the long run. I agree that "the hit" was going to occur at some point and we all held our breath for the first four weeks of the season as RGIII took some big time hits. Now that it has occurred, I'm hoping Griffin will grow from it and develop a better sense of when to just pack it in on certain plays.

here is some good news:

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III was at team headquarters Monday morning and appeared to be doing well the day after he suffered a third-quarter concussion that knocked him out of the team’s 24-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, according to teammates.

Robert Griffin III didn’t know the score or what quarter it was after he suffered a concussion against the Falcons.

Backup quarterback Kirk Cousins said he spoke with Griffin while the two attended a mandatory rookie orientation meeting. Cousins, who played the final quarter-and-a-half Sunday in place of Griffin, said the starter didn’t show any ill effects from the hit that knocked him from the game.

“We had our mandatory rookie success program this morning, and Robert was there,” Cousins said. “He seemed fine, seemed in good spirits. He appeared to be doing well.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/10/08/robert-griffin-iii-seemed-fine-to-teammates-monday-morning/

Honestly, I wish Griffin just could sit for 2 weeks, as a precaution. Concussions - even when the patient "feels fine" - involve significant trauma to the brain, and this is our future franchise player.

I realize that life moves fast in the NFL and you need to get back out there as soon as the docs clear you to play, but I wish it wasn't so.

Honestly, I wish Griffin just could sit for 2 weeks, as a precaution. Concussions - even when the patient "feels fine" - involve significant trauma to the brain, and this is our future franchise player.

I realize that life moves fast in the NFL and you need to get back out there as soon as the docs clear you to play, but I wish I wasn't so.

I would definitely sit him for the Vikings game. We can beat those guys with Rex.

Ding.

It didn't work. If it had, then we'd be cheering the play.

Always ****ing about something just because it doesn't work.

If Shanahan goes for it on fourth down and doesn't make it, then he's putting us in position to fail.

If we don't go for it, then we're playing scared.

If he does make it, then he's too much of a risk-taker.

There is no satisfying fans.

LOL, ES is the home of the opinionated that's for sure. Sure is an entertaining place after a loss.

Joe Webb comes off the bench for 23 points in the 2nd half and that's Rex's fault? I did not say we will beat them, I said we CAN beat them. Do you really disagree with that?

i'd say our chances are not good without Robert. putting a one dimensional and turnover prone QB like Rex in the game will allow teams to stack the box against our run and make Rex beat them with his arm...which I don't have a lot of confidence in..

Shanny giving a presser now. I'll try and update

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

-Spoke to Robert for about 15-20 minutes and said Robert is feeling good.

-Said Robert never blacked out unlike Aldrick who was out for 1.5 minutes

-Said Robert is NOT currently experiencing any concussion symptoms

-Said he will undergo tests today and tomorrow and if he passes them he will get a light workout in tomorrow and will be able to practice on Wednesday with no contact

-Is going to monitor Robert throughout the week and if he passes his tests and doesn't have any setbacks plans for him to start.

-Made sure to emphasize to Robert sliding sooner. Also emphasized to Robert how vital he is to the football team

-When Robert first came off the field, he knew the score and quarter. It wasn't until a few minutes later when Robert was taking to the training room behind the bench that he couldn't remember the quarter or score

-Shanny looked at Roberts eyes when he came off the field and knew something was wrong despite Robert telling him he was fine. Told Robert to go see the doctor

-Shanny stands by his in game injury status of Robert as "shaken up"

based on everything Shanny is saying, it appears that Robert is doing well and is symptom free. If his status doesn't change and he passes his tests, it sounds like Shanny expects him to start

might i add that not knowing the score or the quarter the game is in is part of the concussion testing (retrograde and antegrade memory loss) and is a common sign of an concussed athlete...big deal but not really a big deal.

It's weird that RG3 knew the score and quarter when he came off the field and it wasn't until he was taken back for initial testing that he forgot

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

if RG3 has any set backs at all, he won't be able to play per Shanny. However, the situation looks good right now. Not sure if it will stay that way

From the wiki page on post-concussion syndrome, regarding treatment and successful outcomes:

"Education about symptoms and their usual time course is a part of psychological therapy, and is most effective when provided soon after the injury. Since stress exacerbates post-concussion symptoms, and vice versa, an important part of treatment is reassurance that PCS symptoms are normal, and education about how to deal with impairments. One study found that PCS patients who were coached to return to activities gradually, told what symptoms to expect, and trained how to manage them had a reduction in symptoms compared to a control group of uninjured people." (emphasis added by me)

Since Griffin is the future of our franchise, I'd really just rather have him sit this weekend, no matter what. We can all see that RG3 is clearly gifted at handling stress, but why tell him "ok, you're clear to play, now let's get ready for the Vikings front four and accelerated game-planning"? Stick Cousins or Grossman in there and de-activate Griffin for at least this next week. Yes, it reduces our chance of winning, but this is a transition year anyway.

From the wiki page on post-concussion syndrome, regarding treatment and successful outcomes:

Since Griffin is the future of our franchise, I'd really just rather have him sit this weekend, no matter what. We can all see that RG3 is clearly gifted at handling stress, but why tell him "ok, you're clear to play, now let's get ready for the Vikings front four and accelerated game-planning"? Stick Cousins or Grossman in there and de-activate Griffin for at least this next week. Yes, it reduces our chance of winning, but this is a transition year anyway.

Agree 100%. He is very young and we many years ahead to enjoy his play and perhaps do great things. There is no reason to rush him back. Heck, I say sit him at least two weeks. With our secondary, it is not like we are going to make a run this year. Let Cousins start and get some experience.

Archived