Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA TODAY: Alfred Morris drives a $1,300 car to Redskins Park

21MadFan

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/20/alfred-morris-car/70000757/1#.UFtr2K6z5Ee

Alfred Morris drives a $1,300 car to Redskins Park

Amidst a sea of big-rimmed Escalades and decked-out BMWs, the NFL's leading rookie rusher rolls into Redskins Park on 14s.Alfred Morris, the sixth-round draft pick who was anointed the Washington Redskins surprise starter and is currently tied for first in the NFC in rushing touchdowns, is still driving his 1991 Mazda 626 to work.

It's got all the amenities: cloth seats, power steering, tape deck, AM and FM radio and has the added bonus of being made the same year the Redskins last won a Super Bowl.

"It has some sentimental value to it now," Morris told The Redskins Blog. "It just keeps me grounded, where I came from and all the hard work for me to get to this point. So that's what helps me."

Where he comes from is Florida Atlantic and a senior season that saw the team go 1-11. Scouts figured he'd catch on with a team as a third or fourth running back, if he caught on at all. But he caught the attention of running-back whisperer Mike Shanahan, earned a starting job with his elusive power game and kept it with solid performances in Washington's opening games.

And still, he keeps that '91 Mazda.

Even the lowest-paid NFL players, like Morris, make good money, though it's a pittance compared to some teammates. Morris will make $390,000 in the first of his four-year, $2.22 million deal with the Redskins. He also received a $154,000 signing bonus. Figuring that he's received two game checks and the bonus, then taking out for taxes and a cut for his agent, our conservative estimate is that Morris has netted $90,000 during his time in Washington.

That's easily enough to put a down payment on an S-Class. He'll buy a new car one day, he told The Redskins Blog, but not yet.

It says so much about the spending culture in sports that it's surprising when a young man doesn't buy something simply because he can

Great head on his shoulders. Freakin' steal of the draft in the 6th. Morris is exactly the kind of player we want to build this team on. I sincerely hope he develops into a solid consistent starter and more. From a measurables perspective, he's been compared to T.D. as well as Foster, and I hope one day way down the road young guys will be compared to him.

Hopefully he runs for 1300 yards minimum this year, to match the value of his car.

Also, "running back whisperer."

I'm liking this kid more and more. Sometimes the unheralded ones are more hungry and more motivated. Plus, he's one guy we WON'T be reading about being broke 2 years out of the NFL.

There was another Redskin from way back in the day with a similar story...kept his old car and drove it to Redskins Park as a way to stay grounded. It was a Datsun or a VW, something like that. Can anybody remember who it was?

I'm liking this kid more and more. Sometimes the unheralded ones are more hungry and more motivated. Plus, he's one guy we WON'T be reading about being broke 2 years out of the NFL.

There was another Redskin from way back in the day with a similar story...kept his old car and drove it to Redskins Park as a way to stay grounded. It was a Datsun or a VW, something like that. Can anybody remember who it was?

I don't remember a Redskin, but I remember a story of an Arizona Cardinal whose car was literally falling apart. I don't think it even had interior door panels.

Good for him, but he could always get a Camry or something. Why's it gotta be a $1300 beater or an S-class? lol There is a conservative middle ground.

I wonder if it breaks, if he winds up fixing it though.

Why would any young professional (NFL or no) buy a Camry unless it's just as cheap and every bit the beater that Morris' 626 is?

Morris has won alot of people over in his short time here. He seems like a great kid off the field and a damn hard fighter on it.

Also, after all those years of having vast sums of money invested in the RB position, our entire 3 man roster backfield combines for 'only' ~$1.5m in salary.....go figure.

Fred Smoot drove the Smoot-mobile, which was an old hoopty of some type. And I think either Warren or Didier drove a beat up old truck, if I recall.

Archived