Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hero #2...Billy Cundiff

Bigmuss1

Cundiff did a great job. 2 kicks outside 40, his accuracy was crucial.

If he missed one of those, suddenly we're only up by 5, aka. that terrifying "one score and we lose" zone we all know so well. Miss 2, and Brees wins that game for them, by getting them within the 30 and getting another field goal. Being 8 points down instead of 5 or 2 forced him to play vastly differently.

I hate to say it, but I do have some doubts about whether Gano would have hit all 4 of those.

Anyways, I feel like we need to call in Oprah to hand out game balls. "And you get a game ball! And you get a game ball! And you get a game ball! Everyone look under your seats! Everyone gets a game ball!"

Well, there are two things from that game. I think people should understand now why Cundiff is encouraged to kick it out of the end zone, while Gano was learing to directional kick: Cundiff can kick it out far more consistently than Gano. Second, the downside of not being able to hit it out is potentially big yards on returns, which is why you try to limit the field for a returner.

As for accuracy comparisons, it is a little early for that. Yes, Cundiff had a good game. Gano also had good games. The problem is, fans tend to remember the misses.

I don't disagree with Cundiff being a hero, I just think Sundberg long snapping with a broken forearm (helmet hit it on blocked punt play) deserves some credit. I don't remeber hearing about the injury during the game, they showed Sundberg holding his arm on the sidelines after the play but that was it. the kid got in there and kept playing becasue he knew they had no one else.

Sundberg Hero #2a, Cundiff #2b, cause a kicker is suppose to make kicks, but no one expects a long snapper to keep playing with a broken forearm.

Anyone know what The Red Sanpper aka Ethan Albright is up to? might have to give him a call

Cundiff was outstanding. Sproles had one good return with about 11 minutes to go in the 4th. He brought the ball out from 8 or 9 yards deep, and made it out to the 39 yard line. I wonder if he surprised the cover guys a little bit taking it out from that deep, considering Cundiff had kicked it deep into the end zone all day.

I'm holding back until Week Three and beyond on Cundiff.

All things being equal, in a climate controlled dome like NO and St Louis this coming Sunday, he shouldn't miss anything. So I want to see him out in the elements on a grass field when other factors come into play. (Apparently he was HORRID all week in practice outdoors last week for example.).

That said, can't fault his first outing. And yes, it'd be/ maybe is already SO nice to NOT be hiding behind your hands every time whichever kicker takes to the field.

Hail.

^this

Good game by Cundiff but I'll reserve my "We finally found a kicker" thread for later. Especially since his first kick barely made it inside the right upright. Shaun Suisham and Graham Gano both were pretty good early on as well.

I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with a Redskins kicker.

I don't think any NFL fan is ever comfortable with their kicker. Kickers either miss often enough for it to be in the back of your head or they are so good that you're always wondering when odds are going to catch up to them. We like to believe that when Moseley or Lohmiller were here, we just knew it was an automatic 3 points, but those guys hit about 65-70% of their kicks. The fact is, even in the NFL, if you settle for a FG attempt it's about a 75% proposition.

For Cundiff through week 1, he did everything we could have asked of him. He made all 4 FGs (2 were relatively long) and did a great job kicking off (neutralizing Sproles). A+ in my book. On to week 2.

I don't think any NFL fan is ever comfortable with their kicker. Kickers either miss often enough for it to be in the back of your head or they are so good that you're always wondering when odds are going to catch up to them. We like to believe that when Moseley or Lohmiller were here, we just knew it was an automatic 3 points, but those guys hit about 65-70% of their kicks. The fact is, even in the NFL, if you settle for a FG attempt it's about a 75% proposition.

For Cundiff through week 1, he did everything we could have asked of him. He made all 4 FGs (2 were relatively long) and did a great job kicking off (neutralizing Sproles). A+ in my book. On to week 2.

I agree. I don't feel confident Gano would have been 4/4 on FGs yesterday.

Here's the thing that made me feel better, Gano wouldn't have had that many touchbacks, and Gano would have missed one of those FGs (almost guaranteed). That was a great game by Cundiff.

Oh, and no one else has bothered to sign him. So, worst comes to worst, maybe he'll still be out in oblivion if Cundiff gets hurt.

Cundiff is the business from inside the 50. When we signed him, many pointed to the fact he's poor from over 50....when comparing to Gano in particular. I don't care about that.

Over the last 3 seasons, 90% of our attempts have been from inside the 50.

If that trend continues, Cundiff is gonna be just what we need.

As happy as I was for the kick, i'm still far from comfortable with our kicking squad at this point. That blocked punt was huge for the saints and could have easily swung the momentum enough to cost us the game. From the replay it looked like Doughty missed the blocker but then again it could have been the long snapper when he broke his arm not sure. And as much as i love the effort of the long snapper the sad reality is for at least the next few weeks we will have moe inconsistency a that position, either from him having a cast on or the staff bringing in a replacement.

Weve stepped it up but i think weve still got some wrinkles to iron out before i stop holding my breath

How in the world did we score this guy? I wasn't paying attention. But I'm GLAD we did! :point2sky

No kidding. The initial reaction I posted in the "Gano Cut" thread was, basically, "WTF?" But man, did Cundiff show why we brought him in (and why the Ravens might have made a mistake giving him the boot)--high touchback percentage and accuracy inside the 50.

As happy as I was for the kick, i'm still far from comfortable with our kicking squad at this point. That blocked punt was huge for the saints and could have easily swung the momentum enough to cost us the game. From the replay it looked like Doughty missed the blocker but then again it could have been the long snapper when he broke his arm not sure. And as much as i love the effort of the long snapper the sad reality is for at least the next few weeks we will have moe inconsistency a that position, either from him having a cast on or the staff bringing in a replacement.

Weve stepped it up but i think weve still got some wrinkles to iron out before i stop holding my breath

I think Doughty has to take a lot of blame for the block. Sure, he got through clean but that's Doughty's job as the protector to pick that up. He went the wrong way where it looked like the blocking was holding up. He just didn't see the guy.

Archived