Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday 7/31: Training Camp Tweets

It could for the final spot...we obviously know the top 4 (Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, and Morgan). I think if Banks can contribute on offense, the spot is his. I was not convinced he was a viable option at WR, but it is looking like I was selling him short (pun intended).

Haha, great pun. I gotta admit, I was a little surprised to see some people say he couldn't play WR in the NFL. Nothing wrong with people doubting him, but it was a little premature to write him off. Of course there's still a chance of him not making the 53, but Shanny seems to approve.

Great news about some of the big dogd - Williams, Orakpo and Kerrigan (or Oragan as I think of them).

http://washingtonexaminer.com/practice-report-july-31/article/2503693

4. The most impressive player offensively has been, without a doubt, left tackle Trent Williams. He might be having the best camp of anyone for that matter. Brian Orakpo has gotten him on occasion, but nobody else has come close to beating him. When Ryan Kerrigan goes against him, it’s a clear win for Williams. In the one-on-ones Tuesday, he stopped Orakpo who tried to go upfield and cut back inside. He stopped Kerrigan who went wide. Then he whipped Markus White, who tried to lull him with a stutter step. But Williams was patient, let White reveal his intentions and then reacted. Oh, and he pushed him to the ground at the end. Beast. Williams’ lower half is so sound and his feet so good that he can compensate for mistakes.

I remember when he was a rookie how he could get himself out of bad spots because of his athleticism. The difference now? So far I haven’t seen him get in many bad situations. That’s a testament to his growth as a player.

5. Rookie Adam Gettis is a battler and I like how he sets his lower body. But he also gets stood up quite a bit; as with all rookies it’s early. But this is something he’ll have to correct. In full-team work, Chris Baker slanted to his right and drove into Gettis’ body, standing him up. He shed Gettis and made the tackle. Baker had a pressure later in the day. The kid is active. Fellow rookie Josh LeRibeus is adapting to the pro game, too. It’s tough to play this game without consistent technique; LeRibeus had a bit too much forward lean on one run, causing an ineffective block. Learning process, folks.

6. Love the pass protection drill between the linebackers and the running backs. Rookie Alfred Morris didn’t back down from linebacker London Fletcher. The two went at it – hard. Definitely the most intense competition. Fletcher started upfield and Morris tried to ride him. Fletcher spun in and Morris stayed with him and the two continued to battle one another before they finally blew the whistle. It was, by far, the longest they let one of these go on.

9. As a runner, Morris continues to intrigue. It’s impossible to get a good gauge on the running backs because you need to see if they’re breaking tackles, how they elude defenders, etc. Can’t see that until they play. But I continue to like the way Morris runs. Doesn’t waste movement with his feet on his cuts. That’s important.

12. Corner DeAngelo Hall had a terrific afternoon. It started with him covering Pierre Garcon on a deep post, breaking up a Robert Griffin III pass by leaping underneath. On the next play Hall made a terrific read and jumped a pass to Hankerson. Hall dropped the potential pick. Raheem Morris shouted, “Ohhh! Someone’s on fire today!”

13. Another way that Niles Paul can help at tight end: He lined up in an H-back (F-back whatever) and served as a lead blocker to the outside on a Morris run. Paul runs well and blocks even better on the move. He got to his man, but unfortunately for the offense Kedric Golston got to Morris before Paul’s block mattered.

16. Kerrigan seems to be doing a good job getting quick penetration against the run, forcing backs a little wider or to cut inside. He’s doing a good job with his hands getting leverage, whether against the tackle or tight end (in this case Fred Davis).

17. Like watching pro athletes get excited about a touchdown in practice. It shows you how competitive these guys are; it’s not just the games that matter. After Kirk Cousins threw a touchdown pass to receiver Darius Hanks, he ran up toward the goal line and shouted, “Touchdown!” Cousins made a good throw on the run to his right.

Really? All those quotes? Are you that fragile? Not to belabor this, or interfere with anyone's desire to be a dumbass (yet), but a strained hamstring in TC is pretty common whether a guy has had much in the way of previous injuries or not. ;)

Now I'm going to repeat what for you in particular might be some very good advice: "not every thought needs to be a post." :)

Fragile ? Dumbass ? :ols: anyway I know that those type of things happen in camp and like I said had it been someone else I would not have thought twice...but when you have someone coming off a major injury and has had some smaller ones through his career is it so asinine to wonder if he MAY be injury prone ? I would hate for that to be the case but it was just a passing thought. One that is not as crazy as you guys made it seem. Your right every thought shouldnt be posted but when it has merit then i believe it should be

edit: Im roomates with the guys cousin and went to high school with his brother. Im rooting for him I dont want it to come across that im not.

It could for the final spot...we obviously know the top 4 (Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, and Morgan). I think if Banks can contribute on offense, the spot is his. I was not convinced he was a viable option at WR, but it is looking like I was selling him short (pun intended).

I'm pretty skeptical about him even needing to make the #5 spot at WR, given that we carried 8 last year (which still boggles my mind, by the way). If he even manages to make the Shanahans confident that he could consistently perform some very specific non-decoy roles in a couple very specific packages, amounting to an average of maybe 2 or 3 offensive snaps per game, I would bet that he's in. (By "non-decoy" I don't mean the play would be designed to get the ball specifically to him, I mean he wouldn't be just a decoy and he could be expected to touch the ball at some point in the play.) And judging by the reports so far, he's done more than that.

edit: Im roomates with the guys cousin and went to high school with his brother. Im rooting for him I dont want it to come across that im not.

When his brother and cousin find out that you are calling him injury prone, I think your going to be prone to an injury. lol. lighten up alice. You need to ease your way in here. You stomped in the room and now wonder why everyone turned and looked? Cool name btw. I think Morgan will heal up fine and contribute this year but won't start. He is young and is coming off a major injury, so he needs to take his time and not rush it, tell his brother I said so.

Update on Jamal Brown:

@CHICKatCSN

I'm told Initial report on Jammal Brown's hip, no surgery needed. Good news. Bad news, Brown will see Doctor 2morrow about other hip. #ouch

Jamaal Brown. What a circus.

I think it's time next year to move on and draft a RT high enough in the draft that he has a hope of being a starter (rather than Compton, which in the 6th round is a gamble)

People were actually expecting something great from Jammal Brown this year?

Even if he'd started the opener, I kind of expected to see a lot of Polumbus/Smith at RT eventually. Which may be a good thing, considering the level of play we've gotten out of Brown since he arrived. Polumbus at least looked good in the rungame last season, and Smith looks to have some ability, even if he's a bit raw right now..

I don't see how this caused such a ruckus. ES continues to surpass my expectations ;p

Remember that offseason when Colt Brennan said he'd pay $100 to the first defensive player to pick him off because he hadn't been picked off all camp? :ols:...Yeah, that was definitely a sign of good things to come.

Yeah, Colt's regretting that now since he probably needs that $100 for bail money after his arrest for DUI and drug possession.

Still doesn't change the fact that I hate it. Even when my guys do it. It's pointless.Defenses are at a major disadvantage, too, as the quarterback has an eternity to throw the football.

As an offensive coach, 7 on 7 is critical for a QB while learning an offense. It's not necessarily for anything else other than combination route spacing and ball placement.

<Staff edit--see my own edit SP on the post you quoted for explanation :)>

---------- Post added July-31st-2012 at 11:32 PM ----------

[/color]

How many hips does Jammal Brown have?

I think he's legally a cyborg at this point. So no more natural hips, it's more like a realignment than a surgery at this point. Technically, he's not even injured, just defective parts in sector 84..

Edit- Cyborg in post 1000! *Streamers fly*

Wow, I hope that speculation of JB out for year is incorrect. I thought, at the time, it was a great move for the Skins to bring him in. Boy, New Orleans played us like a fiddle with that trade.

I hope it is correct. A clean break would be best instead of holding out hope that he'll miraculously recover. If he's out for the yr, the team can move on.

I think it's time next year to move on and draft a RT high enough in the draft that he has a hope of being a starter (rather than Compton, which in the 6th round is a gamble)

I think Polumbus and Willie Smith would have something to say about that. We have depth across the O line and it's young depth. I think one of these guys will solidify themselves as the RT moving forward. 2nd round RT aren't always sure things. Better off with Shanny approach looking for mid to late round projects to develop into solid linemen in his system.

As an offensive coach, 7 on 7 is critical for a QB while learning an offense. It's not necessarily for anything else other than combination route spacing and ball placement.

I am an offensive coach (actually, I've coached every phase) and I still find it to be a total waste of time. There are better, more efficient ways of teaching your quarterback route combos and ball placement. That said, doing it against your own defense is slightly different than doing it against other teams. 7 on 7 is not football. It's a tool that should be used much more sparingly than it is. Again, only my opinion.

Banks is going to make it difficult on the coaches. He looked really good yesterday, especially in the sideline drills.

I hope he does - what he does in preseason games is going to be critical for Banks. I think it will come down to what Aldrick Robinson can show as a return guy and he and Banks might be competing for one spot as the primary returner and depth/developmental receiver.

Btw...the Jets/Panthers trade of conditional 7th for OT Jeff Otah is null/void.

He failed his physical in N.Y.

he's going back to Carolina.

Question?

Does this mean that nobody can now trade for him because he failed it, or could a team still offer a trade for him.

Would you guys still take a shot on this guy, with our need at RT.

Obviously, a same deal like Jets with a conditional 7th.

or maybe we could trade some camp fodder for him? lol

Like WR Samuel Kirkland for RT Jeff Otah? lol

His value should drop, from a conditional 7th to worse..right?

Wouldn't it be worth bringing this dude in, for the hell of it?

Just curious...

Dude was a 1st rd pick #19, in 2008. Only 26 yrs old.

Btw...the Jets/Panthers trade of conditional 7th for OT Jeff Otah is null/void.

He failed his physical in N.Y.

he's going back to Carolina.

Question?

Does this mean that nobody can now trade for him because he failed it, or could a team still offer a trade for him.

Would you guys still take a shot on this guy, with our need at RT.

Obviously, a same deal like Jets with a conditional 7th.

or maybe we could trade some camp fodder for him? lol

Like WR Samuel Kirkland for RT Jeff Otah? lol

His value should drop, from a conditional 7th to worse..right?

Wouldn't it be worth bringing this dude in, for the hell of it?

Just curious...

Dude was a 1st rd pick #19, in 2008. Only 26 yrs old.

Think about it. If he failed the Jets physical why would he pass ours? The Jets and clearly Panthers don't think he is healthy enough to play - that's not going to change if he was brought here.

Most likely outcome now would be that he is released injured by the Panthers - but it really sounds like he is done.

Archived