Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday 7/31: Training Camp Tweets

Btw...the Jets/Panthers trade of conditional 7th for OT Jeff Otah is null/void.

He failed his physical in N.Y.

he's going back to Carolina.

Question?

Does this mean that nobody can now trade for him because he failed it, or could a team still offer a trade for him.

Would you guys still take a shot on this guy, with our need at RT.

Obviously, a same deal like Jets with a conditional 7th.

or maybe we could trade some camp fodder for him? lol

Like WR Samuel Kirkland for RT Jeff Otah? lol

His value should drop, from a conditional 7th to worse..right?

Wouldn't it be worth bringing this dude in, for the hell of it?

Just curious...

Dude was a 1st rd pick #19, in 2008. Only 26 yrs old.

Otah is one of the few tackles that Jammal Brown is actually healthier than. So no.

People were actually expecting something great from Jammal Brown this year?

Even if he'd started the opener, I kind of expected to see a lot of Polumbus/Smith at RT eventually. Which may be a good thing, considering the level of play we've gotten out of Brown since he arrived. Polumbus at least looked good in the rungame last season, and Smith looks to have some ability, even if he's a bit raw right now..

I don't see how this caused such a ruckus.

Rookie. Franchise. Quarterback.

ES continues to surpass my expectations ;p

I have said it before that I think Banks will make the team. He is fast and the defences have problems seeing him because he is so small. Hopfully his body can take the hits. From what I have seen he has taken some big hits and gets right up.

I think that in Bank's situation it's all about numbers. It will depend on how many receivers we keep this year. I don't think that he will make the team as just a return man this year.

I'm pretty skeptical about him even needing to make the #5 spot at WR, given that we carried 8 last year (which still boggles my mind, by the way). If he even manages to make the Shanahans confident that he could consistently perform some very specific non-decoy roles in a couple very specific packages, amounting to an average of maybe 2 or 3 offensive snaps per game, I would bet that he's in. (By "non-decoy" I don't mean the play would be designed to get the ball specifically to him, I mean he wouldn't be just a decoy and he could be expected to touch the ball at some point in the play.) And judging by the reports so far, he's done more than that.

I'm betting he makes the roster, I've thought so all along.

I like Banks, he seems to have pulled his head out of his ass and is getting his act together.

*on a side note, can you imagine him and RG3 on the field at the same time, both running in opposite directions after a fake/end around?

by the time the defense figured out what was going on, one of them would have a good gain

Banks will make the team because of all the little things he does for us.

Not to mention he's fast, and hard to find on the field when tackling him.

He can return Kickoff, Punts...

Can play WR or RB on gadget type plays...reverses.

He can even throw the football, like he did last yr for a TD.

Now he's improving his WR position by running more routes & improving his catching.

He's dangerous ,every time he gets the ball in his hands.

How do you NOT keep a guy like that.

He will be last on the depth chart no doubt, but he will make this football team.

Fortunately for him, we will keep at worst..6 WR's.

I'm betting we keep 7.

He fits and gives exactly what this offense is being built around...

SPEED & big play ability.

The thing is that the Skins should use Banks in every game to keep the other teams D in check. If he makes a couple of big plays every game we will keep opposing defenses on their toes and they will have to try and keep an eye on him every time he takes the field.

Banks will make the team because of all the little things he does for us.

Not to mention he's fast, and hard to find on the field when tackling him.

He can return Kickoff, Punts...

Can play WR or RB on gadget type plays...reverses.

He can even throw the football, like he did last yr for a TD.

Now he's improving his WR position by running more routes & improving his catching.

He's dangerous ,every time he gets the ball in his hands.

How do you NOT keep a guy like that.

He will be last on the depth chart no doubt, but he will make this football team.

Fortunately for him, we will keep at worst..6 WR's.

I'm betting we keep 7.

He fits and gives exactly what this offense is being built around...

SPEED & big play ability.

It's going to be between he and Aldrick Robinson, who Kyle is very high on. So that'll be the one position battle to go along with the secondary to keep a close eye on this pre-season.

Aldrick is very fast as well, bigger, but I think the only time I saw him in the pre season he fumbled two punts/kickoffs. Never saw him again except maybe against the Cards that year.

I am pulling for Banks....He is obviously not your jump up high and get it guy, but he can get lost in traffic as a WR and if he can fin tune his route running ability will be hard to cover on the quick hitters. I do not think that he is the best option returning kicks. With the new kick off rules it is just too easy to kick away from or over a return guy. He was not super effective returning punts last year as well, but did hold onto the ball. Would like to see him on the field.

Banks is going to make it difficult on the coaches. He looked really good yesterday, especially in the sideline drills.

Banks seems to be impressing in a lot of areas that were widely thought of as his weaknesses before camp. For example, he's making a lot of catches over the middle when the assumption was that he'd be too small or too timid to work the field like that. And even though the conventional wisdom was that he'd be easy to jam at the line given his size, he's been using that size to his advantage by slipping around DBs trying to get a hand on him.

In any case, the WR cuts are going to be brutal when it comes time to make them. If things are shaping up as they seem to be, we're going to keep Garcon, Hank, Moss, Morgan, and Banks, with Armstrong, Austin, and Robinson duking it out for that last spot. Before camp, my money was on Robinson making the 53. Now, with Austin making plays, Banks impressing overall, and Robinson looking pretty shaky, that's looking much less likely.

I'm loving the reports on some of our franchise players like Trent, Orakpo, Hankerson (maybe not franchise) and I love Merriweather telling Banks about the 15 yard penalty. Alot of people underestimated the signings of Merriweather and M. Williams, but I think they'll be solid at SS and FS.

It's going to be between he and Aldrick Robinson, who Kyle is very high on. So that'll be the one position battle to go along with the secondary to keep a close eye on this pre-season.

Aldrick is very fast as well, bigger, but I think the only time I saw him in the pre season he fumbled two punts/kickoffs. Never saw him again except maybe against the Cards that year.

Robinson has apparently looked shaky in camp. That's surprising given his draft-day potential, and the fact that he's had a year to develop. Banks has been showing him up.

I'm pretty skeptical about him even needing to make the #5 spot at WR, given that we carried 8 last year (which still boggles my mind, by the way). If he even manages to make the Shanahans confident that he could consistently perform some very specific non-decoy roles in a couple very specific packages, amounting to an average of maybe 2 or 3 offensive snaps per game, I would bet that he's in. (By "non-decoy" I don't mean the play would be designed to get the ball specifically to him, I mean he wouldn't be just a decoy and he could be expected to touch the ball at some point in the play.) And judging by the reports so far, he's done more than that.

Put Banks in the slot to the right, play fake to the RB, Banks comes around end and he and RG3 run the option. Who does the defense cover?

Robinson has apparently looked shaky in camp. That's surprising given his draft-day potential, and the fact that he's had a year to develop. Banks has been showing him up.

I don't disagree. But ultimately I think the recievers will come down to Kyle. Someone put a claim in to get Aldrick off the practice squad last season and Shanny cut Torain so that they could call him up to the 53. Just saying, someone likes him.

Personally, I'm not a huge Banks fan and I hope that someone at least takes over kickoffs for him. I don't mind him as a reciever, and as long as he is more than a one trick pony, he'll be worth it to keep him around. But we have a lot of recievers on this team right now and not a lot of roster spots for them. Especially with the offensive linemen we will likely be keeping.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 09:24 AM ----------

Put Banks in the slot to the right, play fake to the RB, Banks comes around end and he and RG3 run the option. Who does the defense cover?

In a cover 2, they wait and hit the man with the ball, lol.

Btw...the Jets/Panthers trade of conditional 7th for OT Jeff Otah is null/void.

He failed his physical in N.Y.

he's going back to Carolina.

Would you guys still take a shot on this guy, with our need at RT.

Obviously, a same deal like Jets with a conditional 7th.

His value should drop, from a conditional 7th to worse..right?

Wouldn't it be worth bringing this dude in, for the hell of it?

Just curious...

Dude was a 1st rd pick #19, in 2008. Only 26 yrs old.

His knees are shot. He's played 4 games in 2 years. Brown has played 28 more games in the same time frame. I'm in Charlotte. You don't want this guy. It's a shame because he's still young.

Why do you want a guy who has failed a physical and hasn't played in two years? Not worth any effort at all if you ask me.

Some see the name only and don't think about what the player might or might not offer.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 09:31 AM ----------

In a cover 2, they wait and hit the man with the ball, lol.

Of course if you play the right defense, you can stop an offense. Sometimes you play the right defense and someone misses an assignment. I guess the coaching staff would have to pick the right time to pull of a trick play, say if the Saints or Rams are playing alot of man to man, you can choose a spot to run it in.

Banks seems to be impressing in a lot of areas that were widely thought of as his weaknesses before camp. For example, he's making a lot of catches over the middle when the assumption was that he'd be too small or too timid to work the field like that. And even though the conventional wisdom was that he'd be easy to jam at the line given his size, he's been using that size to his advantage by slipping around DBs trying to get a hand on him.

In any case, the WR cuts are going to be brutal when it comes time to make them. If things are shaping up as they seem to be, we're going to keep Garcon, Hank, Moss, Morgan, and Banks, with Armstrong, Austin, and Robinson duking it out for that last spot. Before camp, my money was on Robinson making the 53. Now, with Austin making plays, Banks impressing overall, and Robinson looking pretty shaky, that's looking much less likely.

Garcon, Banks, and Armstrong where the most impressive receivers yesterday in my opinion. Banks made a David Tyree type catch up against the sideline with the ball wedged between his hand and his helmet. Armstrong appears to be lightning fast.

If Banks is going to make the roster though he has to show he can run the whole route tree - not just trick plays, bubble screens or 9 routes.

If Banks is going to make the roster though he has to show he can run the whole route tree - not just trick plays, bubble screens or 9 routes.

Oh I know that. Shanahan said that himself. It was just a daydream while I'm at work, thinking what we "could" do with all that speed. These guys have spots: Moss, Hank, Morgan and Garcon. I think Austin, AA, Banks and Aldrick are fighting for the last 2 spots. Bruce and Shanny said we'd probably keep 6. I think AA makes #5 and the others will be going for #6.

I agree. With our o-line situation that roster spot is valuable I am however rooting for Banks big time..

Still doesn't change the fact that I hate it. Even when my guys do it. It's pointless.Defenses are at a major disadvantage, too, as the quarterback has an eternity to throw the football.

the point of 7 on 7 is for the qb to work on timing with his receievers with a defender on the receivers so that he will also have to read coverages. It is also so the defense can practice its coverages without the help of a pass rush. Its helps with the basic fundamentals of the passing offense and secondary.

Edit: just read thru more and you obviously know what its for, so disregard. To each his own, i always loved 7vs7 when i played. (Safety at a D1aa school) Always felt like it helped me learn where my coverage help would be as there was nothing else to focus on. 3, 5, 7 step drop and ball is out regardless of pass rush.

At this point, I'm wondering which receivers will make the roster. Hopefully, the preseason games will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Performance, injuries (or lack there of) and the pre season....lets keep our fingers crossed to avoid any injuries and let the batle be won or lost on the field based on performance.

Archived