Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday 7/31: Training Camp Tweets

If Banks is going to make the roster though he has to show he can run the whole route tree - not just trick plays, bubble screens or 9 routes.

He will make the roster because of his ability to play special teams. There is no other option at kick/punt returner. Banks needs the opportunity too play WR. If a bubble screen turns into a 70 yard gain, I'm cool with that.

Why does everyone just assume, we are only going to carry 6 WR's?

Ok...not everyone but 92.6% of the ES base.

lol seriously..

It's always..."well, Banks is gonna have to do this or that, if he wants to miraculously crack that #6 spot."

I'm sitting here thinking...."OK..we kept 8 WR's last year, so why are we only keeping 6 this yr?"

Yes...I understand we are going to keep 3 QB's.

And yes, we probably will keep 4 RB's and 1 FB with the way things are looking.

But why can't we keep 7 WR's as opposed to 8 last year or the assumed 6?

We can always carry 1 less O-Lineman, 1 less TE, 1 less DE, 1 less NT, etc. To make room for a #7 wr.

Why can it NOT be..?

Garcon

Hankerson

Moss

Morgan

Armstrong

Briscoe

Banks

With Robinson going BACK to the PS,since he's the only one eligible to go back there?

Cause he doesn't, isn't and won't offer more than Banks for this team. I can assure you that...

And Austin isn't making this team, this year.

I'll bet my(don't have yet) RG3 jersey on that one..

I am an offensive coach (actually, I've coached every phase) and I still find it to be a total waste of time. There are better, more efficient ways of teaching your quarterback route combos and ball placement. That said, doing it against your own defense is slightly different than doing it against other teams. 7 on 7 is not football. It's a tool that should be used much more sparingly than it is. Again, only my opinion.

Yeah agree to disagree there. I dont know if you have run a spread but 7 on 7 is very important when teaching a QB the spread offense. Certainly isnt a waste of time. No one said it's real football but it def. has its place. It's big on timing and depth perception and allows the lineman to focus on other things for an instructional period. It also helps your WR/DB's get in football shape.

Always felt like it helped me learn where my coverage help would be as there was nothing else to focus on. 3, 5, 7 step drop and ball is out regardless of pass rush.

That's the thing with the 7 v 7 for me. The coach has to insist on the ball coming out on time on the 3, 5 and 7 step drop - I used to have it blown dead on me if I did not get the ball out on time and I did the same as a coach. No point having the QB double and treble clutching at the top of his drop.

I was an offensive coach and I thought it had value in working on the timing of plays and coverage recognition.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 10:35 AM ----------

He will make the roster because of his ability to play special teams. There is no other option at kick/punt returner. Banks needs the opportunity too play WR. If a bubble screen turns into a 70 yard gain, I'm cool with that.

Aldrick Robinson is the other guy who will be tried as a kick and punt returner. We are keeping 3 QBs this year so no roster spot for a guy who only returns kicks - Banks has to be able to be one of the reserve/situational receivers and that means he has to be able to run the whole route tree. If he can show in preseason he can effectively run a dig or deep comeback and will cross the middle from the slot on a drag - great. I - and more importantly I suspect - the coaches need to see that though.

Now if they could only sign Blackmon and MJD. :ols:

MJD is signed with 2 years remaining, He wants a new deal.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 10:42 AM ----------

Why does everyone just assume, we are only going to carry 6 WR's?

Ok...not everyone but 92.6% of the ES base.

lol seriously.

Maybe because Bruce (in one of the threads a couple of months ago) said in an interview or press conference that we would "probably" keep 6 WRs and 4 TEs. We can't keep 8 because we're keeping a 3rd QB this year and I guess you can put Niles Paul as the #7 WR or #3 TE.

the point of 7 on 7 is for the qb to work on timing with his receievers with a defender on the receivers so that he will also have to read coverages. It is also so the defense can practice its coverages without the help of a pass rush. Its helps with the basic fundamentals of the passing offense and secondary.

Edit: just read thru more and you obviously know what its for, so disregard. To each his own, i always loved 7vs7 when i played. (Safety at a D1aa school) Always felt like it helped me learn where my coverage help would be as there was nothing else to focus on. 3, 5, 7 step drop and ball is out regardless of pass rush.

This is a good post. If used in the right way it's a very effective learning tool. We had a stand the QB grabbed the ball off of and I could set the time from anywhere to 2.0 seconds to 4.5. If it buzzed before releasing the ball, its dead. Offensively, it helped my receivers know who is going first on a crossing route and helped my QB see it before he worries about the rush later in the practice. I need to know my QB can hit the 12 yard dig on a 5step drop with no pressure before I start trying to see if he can do it with the bullets flying.

the point of 7 on 7 is for the qb to work on timing with his receievers with a defender on the receivers so that he will also have to read coverages. It is also so the defense can practice its coverages without the help of a pass rush. Its helps with the basic fundamentals of the passing offense and secondary.

Edit: just read thru more and you obviously know what its for, so disregard. To each his own, i always loved 7vs7 when i played. (Safety at a D1aa school) Always felt like it helped me learn where my coverage help would be as there was nothing else to focus on. 3, 5, 7 step drop and ball is out regardless of pass rush.

Yeah agree to disagree there. I dont know if you have run a spread but 7 on 7 is very important when teaching a QB the spread offense. Certainly isnt a waste of time. No one said it's real football but it def. has its place. It's big on timing and depth perception and allows the lineman to focus on other things for an instructional period. It also helps your WR/DB's get in football shape.
That's the thing with the 7 v 7 for me. The coach has to insist on the ball coming out on time on the 3, 5 and 7 step drop - I used to have it blown dead on me if I did not get the ball out on time and I did the same as a coach. No point having the QB double and treble clutching at the top of his drop.

I was an offensive coach and I thought it had value in working on the timing of plays and coverage recognition.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 10:35 AM ----------

This is a good post. If used in the right way it's a very effective learning tool. We had a stand the QB grabbed the ball off of and I could set the time from anywhere to 2.0 seconds to 4.5. If it buzzed before releasing the ball, its dead. Offensively, it helped my receivers know who is going first on a crossing route and helped my QB see it before he worries about the rush later in the practice. I need to know my QB can hit the 12 yard dig on a 5step drop with no pressure before I start trying to see if he can do it with the bullets flying.

I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of you. Now, one way that I think 7 on 7 would be more effective? Add runs in. Obviously, you're not tackling, but that makes sure the linebackers have to check their gaps. Also, you need someone to blow plays dead.

That said, I have two reasons for my dismay with 7 on 7.

1) I'm an offensive line guy. I hate as a high school coach that 7 on 7 teaches some kids that the linemen are just there for the hell of it. It bothers me. Big time.

2) We run a 3-3-5 defense. Doing the math, that's 8 guys in coverage. Other schools in our area CRY that we run the 8 man defense in 7 on 7, because apparently winning in 7 on 7 is the most important thing, and not the learning aspects. So we have to run a 2 high safety, 4-3 scheme. Which is NOT what we run. So it's literally pointless for most of our defenders. Concepts can still be taught, yes. But our actual defense isn't being run. And we don't run any two high safety looks in games.

That said, I realize that it's somewhat of a necessary evil. And in the offseason, when no pads are allowed, it allows you to at least practice one aspect of your offense in a somewhat live situation.

But I still hate it.

Run the damn ball. :ols:

I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of you. Now, one way that I think 7 on 7 would be more effective? Add runs in. Obviously, you're not tackling, but that makes sure the linebackers have to check their gaps. Also, you need someone to blow plays dead.

That said, I have two reasons for my dismay with 7 on 7.

1) I'm an offensive line guy. I hate as a high school coach that 7 on 7 teaches some kids that the linemen are just there for the hell of it. It bothers me. Big time.

2) We run a 3-3-5 defense. Doing the math, that's 8 guys in coverage. Other schools in our area CRY that we run the 8 man defense in 7 on 7, because apparently winning in 7 on 7 is the most important thing, and not the learning aspects. So we have to run a 2 high safety, 4-3 scheme. Which is NOT what we run. So it's literally pointless for most of our defenders. Concepts can still be taught, yes. But our actual defense isn't being run. And we don't run any two high safety looks in games.

That said, I realize that it's somewhat of a necessary evil. And in the offseason, when no pads are allowed, it allows you to at least practice one aspect of your offense in a somewhat live situation.

But I still hate it.

Run the damn ball. :ols:

I see what youre saying. However, if you brought your defense down to VA and played it against my spread I'd love for you to have 8. In fact I'd encourage it for the different look. It's all what you make of it, coaches who would cry about that frustrate me. Youre right, for linebackers it's a pretty dull period of practice and unrealistic. But it helps me teach wideouts their spacing on a bunch trips, who motions, who goes first on the combo routes. It's also good for my QB to see the depth of those routes so he can time it with his drop. The hardest thing about coaching a young QB is to get a consistent drop. If I can make those plays muscle memory in 7 on 7, the hope is it carries over in team.

I see what youre saying. However, if you brought your defense down to VA and played it against my spread I'd love for you to have 8. In fact I'd encourage it for the different look. It's all what you make of it, coaches who would cry about that frustrate me. Youre right, for linebackers it's a pretty dull period of practice and unrealistic. But it helps me teach wideouts their spacing on a bunch trips, who motions, who goes first on the combo routes. It's also good for my QB to see the depth of those routes so he can time it with his drop. The hardest thing about coaching a young QB is to get a consistent drop. If I can make those plays muscle memory in 7 on 7, the hope is it carries over in team.

But you can do that part on air as well. But you're probably right. My biggest problem with 7 on 7 is the area coaches who whine about our D.

But still. Run the ball. (PS: We run the spread)

But you can do that part on air as well. But you're probably right. My biggest problem with 7 on 7 is the area coaches who whine about our D.

But still. Run the ball. (PS: We run the spread)

Yes, youre right. You can do it against air but the secondary gets a chance to see the combination routes come through their zone and work on it as well as the QB throwing against basic coverage concepts. But yes, agree, run the ball. If me and you were on the same staff I'd have to bargain. You give me a good 20 minute 7 on 7, we'll do all the nuts and bolts inside game for the rest of the practice. lol

Yes, youre right. You can do it against air but the secondary gets a chance to see the combination routes come through their zone and work on it as well as the QB throwing against basic coverage concepts. But yes, agree, run the ball. If me and you were on the same staff I'd have to bargain. You give me a good 20 minute 7 on 7, we'll do all the nuts and bolts inside game for the rest of the practice. lol

Then I'd dance the macarena. 20 minutes to work the inside game?! TELL ME MORE!

Archived