Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forbes: Food's Biggest Scam: The Great Kobe Beef Lie

SkinInsite

Think you’ve tasted the famous Japanese Kobe beef?

Think again.

Of course, there are a small number of you out there who have tried it – I did, in Tokyo, and it is delicious. If you ever go to Japan I heartily recommend you splurge, because while it is expensive, it is unique, and you cannot get it in the United States. Not as steaks, not as burgers, certainly not as the ubiquitous “Kobe sliders” at your trendy neighborhood “bistro.”

That’s right. You heard me. I did not misspeak. I am not confused like most of the American food media.

I will state this as clearly as possible:

You cannot buy Japanese Kobe beef in this country. Not in stores, not by mail, and certainly not in restaurants. No matter how much you have spent, how fancy a steakhouse you went to, or which of the many celebrity chefs who regularly feature “Kobe beef” on their menus you believed, you were duped. I’m really sorry to have to be the one telling you this, but no matter how much you would like to believe you have tasted it, if it wasn’t in Asia you almost certainly have never had Japan’s famous Kobe beef.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

A prime cut of real Kobe cost around $600 in Tokyo so I laugh when an restaurant advertise a $40 "Kobe" burger.

Wagyu is NOT a breed as so many here in the US claim. Wagyu simply means Japanese Beef, which consists of multiple breeds. Several might even be better than Kobe according to most Japanese.

Anyway with no regulation there's no way to define what Wagyu even means. 100% pure? 50% pure?

i was in tokyo and had a hard time finding a kobe beef steak... what i did have was this thinly sliced kobe beef raw in steaming hot broth called shabu shabu. almost like a japanese version of pho w/ kobe beef. its excellent. Then i had a wagyu steak in singapore. also very pricey and delicisious. I was under the impression that wagyu referred to the process of feeding cows sake to increase fat content thus creating the desired marbling fat effect. and Kobe just referred to the region where the wagyu comes from. so all kobe is wagyu but not all wagyu is kobe. But i didn't think there was much difference between the two. I could be completely off on this but thats what i always assumed. so sure its likely that there is no kobe beef in the US. but there is wagyu and if i'm correct there shouldn't be any real difference.

Knew you were joking. Knew you really meant BubbaBurgers.

Has anybody actually purchased a box of Bubbas?

Yes unfortunately I did, cooked 2 and threw the rest in the trash. Wouldn't even feed them to my dogs. :ols:

the restaurant i work at sells "Kobe" beef burgers. i've been forewarned not to tell the owner that it's not actually Kobe beef.

the burger is lean, and most people prefer a greasy burger. customers hear kobe and expect the best burger theyve ever had, such is not the case, and is why i tell people not to get the burger.

the restaurant i work at sells "Kobe" beef burgers. i've been forewarned not to tell the owner that it's not actually Kobe beef.

the burger is lean, and most people prefer a greasy burger. customers hear kobe and expect the best burger theyve ever had, such is not the case, and is why i tell people not to get the burger.

That part doesn't make sense about them asking you to not tell the OWNER ??? How does he/she not know whats going on in his business ?

I have had Kobe beef and was not really impressed. The burger I had was super greasy and that IS typical of a Kobe burger, it wasn't juicy just greasy. The steak was good for sure, but not great. Raw was pretty good, and probably been better if the place did beef tartare better.

Bought Bubbas once,,, couldnt keep them from catching on fire on the grill.

Greasy things

~Bang

The only thing worse than burgers on the grill is pork chops or pork ribs. You're taking your life into your hands with that grease fire. Country ribs are better slow cooked in the oven

Does Japanese OG Kobe beef ever get turned into burgers? Seems like a waste. Too pedestrian for mainstream. Seems like something some rich sheik would do. "Look at all my money, I ground up my kobe beef and serve it on a bun." WTF. I guess not all the meat is fit for steaks, but still.

Does Japanese OG Kobe beef ever get turned into burgers? Seems like a waste. Too pedestrian for mainstream. Seems like something some rich sheik would do. "Look at all my money, I ground up my kobe beef and serve it on a bun." WTF. I guess not all the meat is fit for steaks, but still.

It's still a cow. Same type of cuts for Kobe beef as any other cow. The burgers are not made from steak cuts.

Archived