Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Direct TV and Viacom negotitations

benskins26

I was surprised because the feud last year between FX and Directv was pretty known for over a week before the deadline. I was worried about not seeing the remaining episodes of Sons of Anarchy and American Horror Story. I followed the dispute for a week. Fortunately it was resolved by the deadline. The Viacom dispute took me by surprise because I didn't see anything about it until yesterday afternoon, where basically it was announce that the channels could be lost by midnight. I don't really watch any of the channels except a little bit of Spike and Comedy Central. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Comedy Central was the only one I really watched. The wife is pissed though. Anyway, I called today (2 different times and 50 total minutes of waiting to get an agent) and got a $10 credit for the next 3 months. Seemed fair to me.

I am with DirecTV on this one. The way Viacom and others bundle their programing has to stop at some point. I only maybe care about three of the 26 channels that have gone dark, yet I pay for the other 23 as well. I was getting threats about how I was going to lose channels I did not even know that I had until yesterday. The model is seriously flawed right now and with the options that are emerging, the resolution of this is going to be interesting.

Like most, I only watch a few of the channels that were gone. TVLand is the one I watch most. If Andy Griffith had died this week and I missed the marathon, I would have been very upset. I could care less about most of the channels, so I don't care if they ever get a deal.

Im pissed. I have a 4 year old daughter, so it takes away all her shows that she watches when we let her watch TV. Its not the end of the world, but when she asked to watch some TV tonight (reward for behaiving) I turned on the TV to find her favorite show and it was gone. When I tried to explain where her channels went, she says, "Did they take away Netflix on Apple TV too daddy? I wanna watch the Fresh Beat Band." which made me chuckle.

But I watched Spike, TV land and Comedy Central enough to be pissed about it for me. It wont be the appocolypse if they dont get it resolved though lol.

Good. Things like this will provide more steam to the necessary change forthcoming in this industry. Gone will be the days of $150 tv bills for 200 channels you don't watch. Welcome to on demand viewing of the shows you want and channels you need.....without the BS. Question is, who will man up and enter the market first? Obvious answer is Apple, but we will see.

If FX is part to that, I hate it as they have several shows I like a lot (Justified being one of my most favored on any channel), and losing Comedy channel sucks as I am a big Stewart fan. :(

But I should be able to get them I reckon on my xfintiy or hulu online accts.

If FX is part to that, I hate it as they have several shows I like a lot (Justified being one of my most favored on any channel), and losing Comedy channel sucks as I am a big Stewart fan. :(

But I should be able to get them I reckon on my xfintiy or hulu online accts.

I use DirectTV (for now), and I still get FX. But missing Spike and Comedy Central is really pissing me off. Thankfully, I think Stewart and Colbert are still on vacation (they were to start the week), or else I would be livid.

Yeah FX isn't a part of this. And Stewart and Colbert are still out. Comedy Central is the big one for me. At least I got to catch the new Workaholics last night.

At first, for some reason, I assumed DirecTV was at fault here. But after reading up on it all and following it throughout the day, **** Viacom.

I was babysitting my niece today and she went apecrap when I told her Nickelodean was unavailable.

I don't really watch any of the channels affected, so I'm not that upset. That being said, you better believe I'm calling and complaining first thing tomorrow and demanding a discount on both my bill and Sunday ticket!!! :D

Good. Things like this will provide more steam to the necessary change forthcoming in this industry. Gone will be the days of $150 tv bills for 200 channels you don't watch. Welcome to on demand viewing of the shows you want and channels you need.....without the BS. Question is, who will man up and enter the market first? Obvious answer is Apple, but we will see.

Yep. It's only a matter of time really.

I work for a cable/ISP . . . out of curiosity, who do you blame or are more pissed at in disputes like this? Cable/Satellite provider? Or the network?

These kinds of situations are industry-wide, btw. And the main shock to us on the cable side was that the networks thought they were getting underpaid by a huge margin, like 1.5 to 2 times what they are getting paid. From our standpoint, if our cost for programming goes up then that has to be passed onto the consumer but we know that subscribers will only tolerate so much of an increase before they start canceling or downgrading their service.

Do you, as the customer, expect the cable/satellite provider to absorb some of these cost increases?

As someone else noted, networks like Viacom own all these channels. The cable/satellite provider MUST buy all their channels in order to carry one.

Didn't read too much into it, but doesn't Viacom want like an extra $1B or some absurd amount of money?

I'm fine with DirecTV fighting it. I can live without MTV, BET, Comedy Central, etc. Now if I had a kid, it might suck without Nickelodeon LOL.

I've been a very satisfied customer for over 5 years now, and a few days to maybe a few weeks without channels that I rarely watch anyway won't cause me to cancel service.

Oh man, the only thing I watch on any of those networks is Ridiculousness.

Could care less otherwise.

It would be awesome to pick & choose your own cable lineup. It will probably never happen though.

I have been a DTV customer for over 12 years now and will continue to be as long as they have the NFL Sunday Ticket.

The only worry I have is how to catch Skins games this season. .

That is actually the reason why I joined DirecTV several years ago. Now I've become dependent on it. It's the only way us out-of-towners can really catch every game and actually enjoy it.

Usually there is a "where can I watch skins games online" thread in the Stadium that gets bumped every week, with links to the game online. But its usually grainy, the video lags, and pop ups galore. :ols:

As Americans, we spend *way* too much on entertainment as it is. I honestly consider the issue to be a bigger factor than we want to admit in dragging our economy down. If you don't believe me, imagine if we all just gave up pay TV and put that money into savings instead. I have to give some credit to Direct TV for cutting the cost of the NFL channel in these tough times. Not only was it the right thing to do but it was smart business to keep subscribers that may have dropped it at the higher price. That Viacom would *raise* prices in these economic times shows just how greedy they are. **** 'em.

As Americans, we spend *way* too much on entertainment as it is. I honestly consider the issue to be a bigger factor than we want to admit in dragging our economy down. If you don't believe me, imagine if we all just gave up pay TV and put that money into savings instead. I have to give some credit to Direct TV for cutting the cost of the NFL channel in these tough times. Not only was it the right thing to do but it was smart business to keep subscribers that may have dropped it at the higher price. That Viacom would *raise* prices in these economic times shows just how greedy they are. **** 'em.

I can see no harm if everybody just stopped turning their TVs on and went outside or did something else.

Archived