Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Direct TV and Viacom negotitations

benskins26

As Americans, we spend *way* too much on entertainment as it is. I honestly consider the issue to be a bigger factor than we want to admit in dragging our economy down. If you don't believe me, imagine if we all just gave up pay TV and put that money into savings instead. I have to give some credit to Direct TV for cutting the cost of the NFL channel in these tough times. Not only was it the right thing to do but it was smart business to keep subscribers that may have dropped it at the higher price. That Viacom would *raise* prices in these economic times shows just how greedy they are. **** 'em.

I'd have to agree. This summer has been great to see in regards to my Kids. They are right at this moment both reading books we got from the local library yesterday and are content, quiet and happy. They might miss the tube some, but its not as nearly as painful as they thought it would be.

If FX is part to that, I hate it as they have several shows I like a lot (Justified being one of my most favored on any channel), and losing Comedy channel sucks as I am a big Stewart fan. :(

But I should be able to get them I reckon on my xfintiy or hulu online accts.

The dispute with FX was last fall, but it has been resolved. What's going on now is just with Viacom channels.

I have a little girl who likes her Nick Jr. I have a dvr full of things she can watch if she wanted. Nick's ratings have been taking a beating the past few years. And now Viacom wants more money for this? It's crap.

BTW: I called DTV, got a $5 bill credit for each of the next 3 months, and showtime free for 3 months.

I'm happy with that.

It was rather quick as some said. Usually they give you more heads up, but I saw it like 2 nights before. I was actually watching Comedy Central the night of the midnight deadline and they actually turned off the channels at 11:53. I watch a couple of the channels every once in a while, but it's not big loss as of now. Just bide your time, they will be back. DTV has no choice or else they'll have to offer rebates or find alternate providers.

Viacom is playing hardball thinking that public outrage will make DTV cave. Soon they will find out that they over-valued their product.

I think the outrage is significantly more directed at Viacom. This is not 20 years ago...we know how these contracts work and we have a lot more access to programming than we used to.

The issue is supposedly over Viacom airing content for free online. Welcome to the 21st century.

Paying...for content online? Pfft. Online content should be free

Directv's stance is "why should we pay you MORE when you are giving your content away for free online" Viacom's response: "Because"

I think the outrage is significantly more directed at Viacom. This is not 20 years ago...we know how these contracts work and we have a lot more access to programming than we used to.

Agreed. Viacom has badly miscalculated their (perceived) value and will quickly find out, if they haven't already, that they don't have the leverage they think they do. A case of corporate arrogance gone bad.

My lovely wife just got off the phone with Directv. As a result of this mess with Viacom she was able to secure a great deal for us, or at least I think so. Initally they offered $5 off per month for three months. She told them that wasn't good enough so they came back with $20 off a month for a year. She then proceeded to ask them what else they could do. They ended up giving us the equipment for the on demand which I know nothing about other than it's valued at $100 plus a $50 installation fee. They also threw in Starz free for a year. It sucks for my kids not having the Nickelodeon but I'm guessing that will be eased by the on demand. Very happy with the outcome and I would like to thank my wife.

My lovely wife just got off the phone with Directv. As a result of this mess with Viacom she was able to secure a great deal for us, or at least I think so. Initally they offered $5 off per month for three months. She told them that wasn't good enough so they came back with $20 off a month for a year. She then proceeded to ask them what else they could do. They ended up giving us the equipment for the on demand which I know nothing about other than it's valued at $100 plus a $50 installation fee. They also threw in Starz free for a year. It sucks for my kids not having the Nickelodeon but I'm guessing that will be eased by the on demand. Very happy with the outcome and I would like to thank my wife.

I've had Starz for the last 3 months. I'm currently watching Bigfoot. It's about a kid who gets bullied in HS, by two hicks with a pick up truck and he meets Bigfoot. One hillbilly just made a joke that he was "tired" because a tire came through his window.

It's not a bad movie for Starz. The Postman was on earlier, I made popcorn. Ever see Starship Troopers? Great movie right? They're playing the second one, but you'll get to see all the great acting performances put on by the lead actor. Enjoy that gift.

I've had Starz for the last 3 months. I'm currently watching Bigfoot. It's about a kid who gets bullied in HS, by two hicks with a pick up truck and he meets Bigfoot. One hillbilly just made a joke that he was "tired" because a tire came through his window.

It's not a bad movie for Starz. The Postman was on earlier, I made popcorn. Ever see Starship Troopers? Great movie right? They're playing the second one, but you'll get to see all the great acting performances put on by the lead actor. Enjoy that gift.

Hmm. Maybe I should have her call them back and ask for HBO or something??

I did see part of the second Starship Troopers so I know what you are referring to as the "gift". Brutal indeed.

Hmm. Maybe I should have her call them back and ask for HBO or something??

I did see part of the second Starship Troopers so I know what you are referring to as the "gift". Brutal indeed.

Yeah, I'd probably do that. It's my last week of TV and probably internet for a while, so I'm watching it anyway.

Starz is god awful. They just gave you a stale cookie.

Yeah, I'd probably do that. It's my last week of TV and probably internet for a while, so I'm watching it anyway.

Starz is god awful. They just gave you a stale cookie.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to ask my wife if she will call them back and renegotiate. lol

Archived