Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Finally Respect LeBron James?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

No. Respect in this case is being used as though we should now have man crushes and undying love for the guy.

He is not on my team, so why should I root for him to win multiple titles? I acknowledge he is good and did the smart thing by listening to Skip Bayless by staying in primarily in the paint and guard Durant, but it is no different than wanting local player Kevin Durant win several rings instead of John Wall.

Looking at the way the question is phrased, it sounds like the OP is asking if you respect him on a basketball level ("now that he's won a ring, do you respect him?"). I always respected him from a basketball standpoint. You'd be insane not to respect his game. The only knock was that he was the "King without a Ring" which I think is a justifiable criticism given all of the hype he's received over the past decade (also his performance in the Finals last year opened a boatload of questions). Now that he's got the monkey off his back, I think the road to multiple championships will be a lot easier.

As a person, I wasn't fond of the way he acted during the Wiz-Cavs series from 2006-2008. The Decision also left a sour taste in my mouth as well (not to mention the "not one, not two....it's gonna be easy" comments during the "celebration"). But I do believe him and Wade when they said that losing the Finals last year humbled them a lot. From that stand point, I guess I'm over my hatred (if you can call it that) of Lebron. To be honest, Wade's my least favorite player on the Heat. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't on the team, I wouldn't have a problem with Miami winning.

What about any of that makes him likeable?

We love redemption stories.

How is it possible that Kobe is the #1 selling jersey year after year? He's a backstabbing teammate, forced the greatest coach in history into retirement, and - oh yea - beat a rape charge by using the "I'm a philanderer, not a rapist" defense. He also has the personal charm of a couch.

If Kobe can come all the way back, it will be a cakewalk for Lebron. It's starting already and he's helping to define the narrative of "Lebron finally grew up."

Everyone knew how this thread was going to go, including the op, who made his opinion of Lebron very clear in the NBA thread. Like I said (I'm an Office Space shattered record at this point), The Decision was stupid. Hewas immature, hewas arrogant, he was a pompous ass.

He looked himself in the mirror, and made the change. At this point, only people blinded by their own personal bias/ignorance can ignore everything he did this season/postseason, and still harp on the Decision as the basis for their hatred. He put together a season that is going to be remembered for a long time.

He absolutely played his ass off. If anyone wants to take the cheap "Sellout" route, then fine by me. You just out yourself as one who's opinion should not be taken seriously. He absolutely dominated this postseason, and answered the bell EVERY time his team was challenged. People will hate him, but to not give him props for his performance, and ignore how truly great this man was this year, is wel...kinda funny

Legtimate question: are you freaking insane?

This was the most grueling NBA season in history. Bar none.

Agree it was a tough season, but easier for the Heat in the sense they didn't have to face a Derrick Rose led Bulls team.

I think Lebron recognizes that the Olympics are his chance to become the #1 athlete on the entire planet. He's smart enough to know that the second the buzzer sounded' date=' Durant became his most important teammate.[/quote']

Durant and Lebron on the court together in the Olympics. The world has no chance....

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 10:16 AM ----------

For the last time, with or without Derrick Rose, the Bulls were not going to beat the Heat. PERIOD.

My issue with him is not only how he handles himself, but the fact he should put up even better numbers than he does most nights.

This is completely ridiculous. Watch him play for a change. I do not think it's possible to play the game of basketball better than LeBron James just did.

Also all of the complaining about LeBron James the person is ridiculous too. Raise your hand if you know LeBron James on a personal level. Raise your hand if you know any NBA player on a personal level. Who gives a rip what he's like as a person? Do you have to work/interact with him in any way shape or form? Does he effect your life in any way?

Michael Jordan was a nightmare to deal with on a personal level and is probably 10 times the dickbag that LeBron is, but that doesn't really change the amount of respect I have for him.

As a basketball player I respect him, but he still has a long way to go before I respect him as a person.

Everyone agrees The Decision was a bush league move. I'd even voiced my opinion about it. But my question to you is what has he done off the court for you not to respect him as a person? The player on my favorite team was accused of rape back in 2003. It took him YEARS to get back to where he was. I've always respected Lebron. Sometimes I question his play when he passes up the game winning shot instead of taking it. But you can't do anything but give him respect and props.

We love redemption stories.

How is it possible that Kobe is the #1 selling jersey year after year? He's a backstabbing teammate' date=' forced the greatest coach in history into retirement, and - oh yea - beat a rape charge by using the "I'm a philanderer, not a rapist" defense. He also has the personal charm of a couch.

If Kobe can come all the way back, it will be a cakewalk for Lebron. It's starting already and he's helping to define the narrative of "Lebron finally grew up."[/quote']

Kobe sucks too.

I think most people believe he had consensual sex with the accuser, for one. And two, I will admit that the NBA is not my thing, and I think it attracts a different sort of fan: one that is drawn to flash over substance.

This is completely ridiculous. Watch him play for a change. I do not think it's possible to play the game of basketball better than LeBron James just did.

Also all of the complaining about LeBron James the person is ridiculous too. Raise your hand if you know LeBron James on a personal level. Raise your hand if you know any NBA player on a personal level. Who gives a rip what he's like as a person? Do you have to work/interact with him in any way shape or form? Does he effect your life in any way?

Michael Jordan was a nightmare to deal with on a personal level and is probably 10 times the dickbag that LeBron is, but that doesn't really change the amount of respect I have for him.

So in a thread that asks people opinions of LeBron, you're telling people they can't feel the way they do about him?

I've always respected him as a basketball player. He'll go down as probably one of the 10 greatest. Its just that off the court he comes off as a douche.

If he continues this level of play for years, he could go down as the GOAT. I think he finishes no worse than top four or so. He might end up pushing Bird or Kareem out of the tier. Crazy.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

So in a thread that asks people opinions of LeBron, you're telling people they can't feel the way they do about him?

Sure, people can feel however they want about him. And I can point out when I think those feelings are absurd, irrelevant, or inconsistent.

Everyone agrees The Decision was a bush league move. I'd even voiced my opinion about it. But my question to you is what has he done off the court for you not to respect him as a person? The player on my favorite team was accused of rape back in 2003. It took him YEARS to get back to where he was. I've always respected Lebron. Sometimes I question his play when he passes up the game winning shot instead of taking it. But you can't do anything but give him respect and props.

Just the way he carries himself. Perfect example is his headlined quote on the WP: "I can finally say that I'm a champion." Yes Lebron, it was all about you this whole time. He really believes it is all about him. Everything is about him.

How about when he lost last year and his quote about "all those people are going to wake up and still be them" and not him.

Here's his quote:

“It was a journey for myself,” said James, who became the 10th player — and first since San Antonio’s Tim Duncan in 2003 — to win regular season and Finals MVP. “All the ups and downs, everything that came along with it, I had to basically figure it out on my own. I’m happy now nine years later since I’ve been drafted that I can finally say that I’m a champion, and I did it the right way. I didn’t shortcut anything. I put a lot of hard work and dedication in it, and hard work pays off. It’s a great moment for myself.”

"Its a great moment for myself." Give me a freaking break.

If he continues this level of play for years, he could go down as the GOAT. I think he finishes no worse than top four or so. He might end up pushing Bird or Kareem out of the tier. Crazy.

These things are stupid, but I go Jordan #1, Kareem #2, and I don't know about anyone else. Lebron is certainly in the top 10 somewhere right now. Which is insane because he's probably just entering his prime and is built to play until he is 42.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 09:25 AM ----------

Kobe sucks too.

I think most people believe he had consensual sex with the accuser, for one. And two, I will admit that the NBA is not my thing, and I think it attracts a different sort of fan: one that is drawn to flash over substance.

Well, if you don't like any of the best players in the NBA, I can see how it would be difficult to watch.

At the end of the day Lebron still has not 7 not 6 not 5 but just one ring in a grueling lockout shortened season. Now how many bandwagon Heat fans in the DMV area are going to purchase a Lebron Jersey, so people can point fingers at you and laugh? :):rolleyes:

He broke the record last night for most consecutive playoff games scoring 25+ at 15 games, the person who held the record before was himself. I don't think there is another player in the league who wins with this group besides maybe a cp3. Yeah they have wade and bosh but besides that it's, meh. He just knows how to get his guys the ball where they can score. And he completely dominated the paint.

Read this and tell me how you feel about him: http://www.scoresreport.com/2011/12/21/the-massive-ego-and-entourage-of-lebron-james/

I first photographed LeBron James in 2003, when he was a rookie in Cleveland. He was pretty raw as a teenager; he didn’t have any of the smoothed edges he has now. When I shot him six years later, in 2009, the difference was amazing. He walked in like a king that day, and he took over that room. And not only physically, although he was massive then. I’ve never seen an athlete look like that. He was muscular, charming, articulate, the prince of hoops. He couldn’t have been more of an ambassador for the game.

Times change, and sadly, LeBron became a villain to many after The Decision. I’ve seen a lot of entourages, but none like his. In July 2010 I got an assignment from Nike to shoot LeBron right after his TV special announcing his move to the Heat. We rented the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, where the Lakers and the Clippers used to play, and there were 53 people on my crew—including hair and makeup artists, production people, a stylist. I had $10,000 in Hollywood lighting. It was huge. When LeBron arrived, it was as if Nelson Mandela had come in. Six or seven blacked-out Escalades pulled up, a convoy. LeBron had bodyguards and his masseuse. His deejay was already there, blasting. This for a photo shoot that was going to last an hour, tops.

This is how crazy it was: I wasn’t even allowed to talk directly to LeBron. There was a liaison, someone from Amar’e Stoudemire’s family. I would say to him, “O.K., have LeBron drive right,” and then he’d turn to LeBron and say, “LeBron, go right.”

LeBron had guards in the portals on the mezzanine level, talking into their hands. Really, what was going to happen? And then at the end of the shoot they all got in the Escalades. My God, I’ve been around Michael Jordan, but with him nothing even came close to this. Unimaginable.

Respect? No.

He's a basketball player, a very good one, and he finally won a championship. That's it.

The truth is that his value to me as a sports fan was in Cleveland.

Hometown kid bringing a championship to a starved, beaten down sports city is much more interesting than "taking my talents to South Beach," it just is.

I felt good for him last night though b/c the whole "never won" bull can go away and really he's about as innocuous an athlete there is.

And two, I will admit that the NBA is not my thing, and I think it attracts a different sort of fan: one that is drawn to flash over substance.

I can see that. Perfect example, Tim Duncan. Dude has 4 rings and has been one of the best PFs in the NBA over the last decade, yet no one talks about him.

I can see that. Perfect example, Tim Duncan. Dude has 4 rings and has been one of the best PFs in the NBA over the last decade, yet no one talks about him.

This is the epitome of Duncan's career. Duncan is one of the best players ever. Player, not PF. He's always understated because he doesn't run his mouth. He has multiple MVP's, is one of the best defensive players ever, gave you well over 20 ppg and was a phenomenal rebounder. Complete player. I'd probably say best player of the 2000s except for Kobe (only because of his fifth ring he won in 09).

That's a bit pretentious don't you think? Spoken like a baseball fan ;).

Yes and yes. :)

NBA just isn't my thing, but you have to admit that, as a league, the NBA embraces the flash and pomp brand.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 10:44 AM ----------

Well' date=' if you don't like any of the best players in the NBA, I can see how it would be difficult to watch.[/quote']

Not my fault they are d-bags.

The decision was a stupid PR but that's all it was IMO. My issues with Lebron is that he didn't develop his game, displayed mental weakness on the court, and otherwise acted like a ridiculous douchebag. This season he finally showed a change in his game cutting back on three point shots and adding a low post offensive game that so many had been screaming for from him. I didn't see him dancing on the sidelines like a clown in a post season. I didn't see him mocking a rivals illness like he did with Dirk last year. What I saw in game 6 of the Celtics was Lebron go Jedi Master and absolutely steal the heart of his opponents.

Then the finals came around and the Heat surprised everyone by removing hero ball and over dribbling from their offense. Suddenly ever shot was about getting the ball to the guy with the best shot. It was similar to the transformation the Thunder underwent to take four straight from the Spurs. Leading the transformation was Lebron James.

I've always accepted the fact that he's a great basketball player, arguing otherwise is foolish. He certainly earned the respect given to a true champion this season however by taking his game and his mindset on the court to an entirely different level. So sure he has my respect but I'm still not a fan.

-Making fun of Nowitzki when he was sick which completely back-fired on him

-Walking up to Gilbert Arenas and whispering in his ear before his foul shot

-Trying to destroy the video of him getting dunked on by a college kid

-"The Decision"

These are just a few of the examples of why don't respect him as a person. He's an amazing basketball player, one of the best I've ever seen. Just wish he was a good dude to go along with it that's all.

Archived