Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Finally Respect LeBron James?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Sorry LKB, that's really weak when trying to justify respect for Lebron's win since he needed to abandon ship and recruit an all star team himself. Kobe did earlier. He did it more often. The fact that neither did it in isolation hardly makes Lebron more respectable. What he did and more, how he treated Cleveland was downright ****ty. Kobe, as you correctly point out, also had HUGE personal failings of Biblical proportions... nontheless, both Michael and Kobe won earlier in their respective careers. So, one at this point in Lebron's career is not meeting the expectations set aside for the Chosen One, King James.

Kobe won earlier than LeBron as the second banana. Shaq was the key figure in those titles. It took Kobe a long time before he got his ring when he was the man.

Jordan is Jordan. But Jordan also had Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson, better by miles than LeBron ever had, or would ever have had in Cleveland. And Jordan played on some teams that are FAR better than any LeBron will ever play on, including this Miami outfit. He didn't pull off all of that winning on his own, much as he would like us to believe.

From his interview last night, Lebron learned last year that no matter what he does, he's not going to change some people's minds about him. (Boy, do you see that here.) And he decided not to let it bother him.

I know some people who live in Copley, Ohio very close to where Lebron grew up and went to school, who met him and saw him interact in the community during his high school time. They say that - despite being among the biggest high school stars in the history of the sport - he was a surprisingly grounded, nice kid. Which is a tough thing to do when you have a basketball-crazed nation blowing smoke up your ass telling you you're Jesus. So maybe I'm biased, but I don't see where the entrenched hatred for him comes from.

-He whines on the court? Kobe Bryant has never committed a foul in his NBA career, if you watch his reaction to refs' calls. Almost all of the of the big stars complain on the court.

-The Decision"? A dumb idea, which he himself has forthrightly acknowedged.

-Leaving Cleveland? There's a double edged sword for his critics. He wasn't going to get the support there to win championships. No championships and the critics bark. Show me one superstar in NBA history who won championships without an adequate #2 stud. So he leaves. And the critics bark.

Here's the difference between Michael Jordan and Lebron James. Jordan is a selfish ******* on and off the court who won championships and is universally worshipped and "respected." Lebron James' game - since high school - is to play team basketball and to fit his astonishing physical gifts into the concept of team who has now won a championship and whose accomplishments are universally diminished and disrespected.

Jordan and Kobe stayed with their teams. They went through some not so good seasons until their team was built. LeBron had to rent a team. You guys act like the Cavs absolutely sucked. They didn't. They were in the playoffs every year and made the finals one year. The Lakers were in their post Magic. Worthy, Kareem decline and the Bulls just sucked before Jordan got there.

Jordan was 21 when he came out and LeBron and Kobe were 18, so I hate using age as a measure of when a guy is supposed to win a championship.

Just joking, but Robert Horry and his 7 Rings says Hi Lebron!

Not one bit! dude had to run to a team that had two other superstars in order to get a ring.

**** him

LOL. This looks like its going to be rally cry of the bitter, LeBron-hating non basketball fan.

Any true basketball fan can only marvel at what LeBron James just accomplished this year. That was one of the greatest individual seasons, playoffs, and finals ever. And for it to happen in this off all years makes it even more remarkable.

I always wonder what this year's playoffs would have been like if Rose didn't get hurt. It seemed like everything aligned right for the Heat to win this year. There was an article in Grantland about who ever won the finals this year would have an asterisk next to it when it would be debated by the pundits.

Once dominate teams are starting to show their age and a young team that's on the rise hasn't quite gotten it together. I think OKC can win it all one day if they can keep their current group together.

Lebron James' game - since high school - is to play team basketball and to fit his astonishing physical gifts into the concept of team who has now won a championship and whose accomplishments are universally diminished and disrespected.

Not for long. He's won a ring. It's a fraternity. The sports pundits will get off his back now (except the comical haters with no credibility of course) and appreciate him more for what he is now that he's finally a champion. What he just pulled off is irrefutable evidence of greatness. Same thing happened for Kobe when he one that fourth ring and finally got one as THE man.

LeBron will become an elder statesman for the game just like Kobe did.

The hate and burden of unfulfilled expectations will shift to a younger star like Rose, Durant, Griffin, or Howard--until they get their rings of course. That's how these things work.

The level of hate a player receives is kind of directly proportional to his capacity for greatness.

Again, you point out 1 game. How about season?

The fact that we hear nothing isn't necessarily a good thing either.

As a player he's one of the best don't get m wrong, but you need more then that for respect.

Dan Marino never had a ring, does that mean you don't respect him?

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 07:12 AM ----------

Lol not a hater...just a realist ;)

And I wish I had that car when I was a kid....although I did have a green machine...couldn't pop wheelies with it tho.

again, what has the dude done off the court that would qualify him as a douche?

And let me say, statistically i would match his stats up against anyone ( outside of MJ ) in the history of the league. 27 ppg, 6 reb, 7 asst..... Before the ring, he was already a lock for the HOF.. after this championship its all about adding to his legacy.. 3 reg season MVPs, 1 NBA championship, 1 finals MVP, darn good so far by the age of 27..

LOL at the amount of people having piss with their Wheaties this morning.

I've got nothing but mad respect for a guy that had more pressure on him then any other athlete in history to win a ring. Never has an athlete endured so much coverage because of so many media outlets available 24/7.

The only thing Lebron is guilty of is going over the top with "The decision" and having fun at a "pep rally.'

Lebron left Cleveland because he realized that he needed help and went to a team that already had a "superstar" and realized that it was that "superstar's" team except something happened along the way and Lebron made it HIS team.

For those claiming he isn't one of the greatest of all-time? Are you the spawn of Skip Bayless?:ols: You are so ****ing delusional..............and mad.:ols:

BTW. As far as "The decision" goes? Some of you seem to forget how much Lebron raised for children's charities. Yet another unselfish act. Chew on that.

Kobe won earlier than LeBron as the second banana. Shaq was the key figure in those titles. It took Kobe a long time before he got his ring when he was the man.

Not to mention that Kobe was drafted into a ready-made playoff situation. People love to dismiss that he was on the bench behind Eddie Jones. He wasn't "The Man" from the jump like MJ and Lebron who were expected to resurrect a franchise.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 07:39 AM ----------

I've got nothing but mad respect for a guy that had more pressure on him then any other athlete in history to win a ring. Never has an athlete endured so much coverage because of so many media outlets available 24/7.

The only thing Lebron is guilty of is going over the top with "The decision" and having fun at a "pep rally.'

Lebron left Cleveland because he realized that he needed help and went to a team that already had a "superstar" and realized that it was that "superstar's" team except something happened along the way and Lebron made it HIS team.

For those claining he isn't one of the greatest of all-time? Are you the spawn of Skip Bayless?:ols: You are so ****ing delusional..............and mad.:ols:

people can hate him for the "Decision" debacle, but when folks start to talk reckless about his game, then i really begin to question their basketball knowledge. Either that, or they are so emotionally disturbed that they allow personal hate to blind them of reality.

I wonder how good LeBron is going to be from here on out.

He tapped into a level of play this season, particularly in the playoffs, that is impossibly good. He's always making the right play now. Always locking down his opponent, be it a point guard, a center, the teams biggest matchup threat, whatever. And when the shot clock is running down or he needs to convert an impossible bucket or spark a run, he's doing it and making it look like the easiest thing in the world.

What if he keeps playing this well? What if this doesn't stop? I don't think the game can be played better than the level LeBron just reached. Not by a human being anyway.

Bill Simmons said he's playing like a rich man's Bird now. Power point guard--cerebral, complete, ruthlessly efficient basketball like Bird, except he's also a breathtaking athlete and one of the best defenders in the game.

LeBron is creating history for the game.

For those claining he isn't one of the greatest of all-time? Are you the spawn of Skip Bayless?:ols: You are so ****ing delusional..............and mad.:ols:

people can hate him for the "Decision" debacle, but when folks start to talk reckless about his game, then i really begin to question their basketball knowledge. Either that, or they are so emotionally disturbed that they allow personal hate to blind them of reality.

I like that quote. I may steal it.

Hahaha. I'm honored.

It rings true for LeBron. I'm sure old timers felt much the same way about Wilt Chamberlain in his day.

The NBA is loads deeper and more competitive today than it was in Wilt's day. But when you think about it, LeBron might be the first since Wilt to have his capacity to dominate the game in all aspects through sheer talent and physical giftedness. LeBron won't pile up scoring and rebounding titles like Wilt did (I think he even won an assists title one year), but I think that's a function of the change of competitiveness of the league. LeBron also seems like he has a better head on his shoulders than Wilt did. He's had better examples to follow.

Haters still hate LeBron because of the whole Crab Dribble / Wizards - Cavs rivalry

At one point it was illegal in the DMV area to pull for LeBron James, not lying. They actually passed a law forbidding fandom of King James

Now that he's left the Cavs though, a lot of that rivalry is gone. That rivalry is dead. The hate is largely because of the decision, and guess everything worked out in the end. So the hate isn't as much as there used to be. LeBron was eventually going to get his ring, if you keep making the finals, you will eventually succeed, unless you're the Bills.

Anyway, most of my hatred has shifted to players like Ronaldo. Smug jerks who act like clowns on the pitch. Ronaldo is a thousand times worse than LeBron ever was. I mean, I saw the LeBron State Farm commercial with him keeping kids in school, and I laughed. I follow him on Twitter, and he was hilarious when he tweeted. He's good in my book

LOL. This looks like its going to be rally cry of the bitter, LeBron-hating non basketball fan.

Any true basketball fan can only marvel at what LeBron James just accomplished this year. That was one of the greatest individual seasons, playoffs, and finals ever. And for it to happen in this off all years makes it even more remarkable.

I think this is probably true (I know you know basketball better than I do) but it isn't mutually exclusive.

Although, I would argue that this was the easiest of years for this to happen. It was a year of less wear and tear, less planning and strategy, less need for depth, and so physical greatness counted more this year than most.

That said, Lebron had a great playoffs and fantastic championship. I don't think any should deny him that. I do think he wronged his home town not because he left, but how (which apparently he has acknowledged). Respect is a tough thing... once lost it takes a long time to win back.

Has he met expectations? No, the expectations was that he would be the greatest, most dynamic person of all time in his sport and would change the game of basketball. Were/are those unfair expectations? Probably, but those were the expectations set for him and by him.

The worst LeBron ever did was bring attention to himself with his own TV show. He really isn't a jerk on the court.

The worst thing Ronaldo does is act like a total jerk in game, and he always has this smug grin on his face. You just want to punch him right in the face. He's a lot worse than LeBron.

Mike Smith has no filter and just complains to the media all the time. Tim Thomas actually refused to visit the White House because he disagreed with presidential policy...LeBron usually keeps his mouth shut.

What I'm saying is that LeBron was arrogant for what he did, but let's remember there are athletes much worse than him.

Archived