Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Finally Respect LeBron James?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I actually pointed out an entire series.

I barely paid attention to that series. Miami won 4-1. Lebron went for 29/8/7 in the deciding game. What am I missing?

I will say that Lebron never looks completely like Lebron against Melo, because Melo is the one player in the league actually capable of inflicting some damage on him physically. When those two match up, it's like Ali-Frazier on a basketball court. But that playoff series was extremely low on my "Give a damn" meter, because the result was never going to be an issue.

Fine, six games. And lets face it, he didn't really need to look good versus the Knicks.

Dude, face it, I don't like Lebron probably as much as you do, but the man was a beast in the playoffs. The only person that probably dominated the way he did is Jordan.

I still disagree. He put up good numbers, but correlation does not imply causation. He did have 2 overly dominant games IMO (being game 4 vs IND and game 6 vs BOS). I expect people to be sweet on him now considering the championship is fresh and all, but that doesn't erase the last 8 years of him not living up to what I think his potential could be. Maybe I just have high expectations given his physical attributes, skill set and the fact they've been calling him King since high school.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 11:46 AM ----------

I barely paid attention to that series. Miami won 4-1. Lebron went for 29/8/7 in the deciding game. What am I missing?

You can't just always go based off a stat line, otherwise it would be a universally accepted idea that Wilt was the best ever.

I always respected his skills and his effort. It was his ego and the "self-entitled" attitude. According to LeBron, he didn't commit fouls. The reason I hate on him a little less now is that he toned it down a bit and learned some humility. Voila- he wins a title. Good for him.

However, I will never really root for LeBron James. What he did to the Cavs was just wrong. (And what he did to the Wizards was excruciatingly painful.) :)

I still disagree. He put up good numbers, but correlation does not imply causation. He did have 2 overly dominant games IMO (being game 4 vs IND and game 6 vs BOS). I expect people to be sweet on him now considering the championship is fresh and all, but that doesn't erase the last 8 years of him not living up to what I think his potential could be. Maybe I just have high expectations given his physical attributes, skill set and the fact they've been calling him King since high school.

Game 4 against the Heat was maybe the single greatest game he's ever played and as good a Finals game as anyone has ever played. The fact that it occurred as Westbrook played the single greatest game of his life was astonishing.

That's the amazing thing. Twice in these playoffs, the Heat got the greatest games that All Star players have ever played (Rondo and Westbrook). And they won both games.

Game 4 against the Heat was maybe the single greatest game he's ever played and as good a Finals game as anyone has ever played. The fact that it occurred as Westbrook played the single greatest game of his life was astonishing.

That's the amazing thing. Twice in these playoffs' date=' the Heat got the greatest games that All Star players have ever played (Rondo and Westbrook). And they won both games.[/quote']

Yeah but 44 points means squat when you're doing it because the rest of your team is providing literally nothing. LeBron's performance in Game 6 at Boston was the shining achievement I think. That was a performance of legend. Up there with this 2007 performance vs. DET.

I still don't like how those players colluded to play together for less in a all-star kind of way. But they did win the games in front of them and deserve credit for it.

People will talk about the refs and the shortened season and whatever. That's fine. The NBA is a weird animal where individuals are valued over teams more than any other sport.

The stone-cold assassins that I have witnessed in my life: Tiger, Jordan, Kobe, Federer, Brady. All had what appear to be strong father-figures in their childhoods. LBJ and his mom agreed that Miami "would make him happy." Need I say more?

"SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE-KICK! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE-KICK! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE-KICK! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE-KICK!"

From Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski to managing director Jerry Colangelo to NBA elders, the issue of James’ immaturity and downright disrespectfulness had become a consuming topic on the march to the Olympics. The course of history could’ve changed dramatically, because there was a real risk that James wouldn’t be brought to Beijing based on fears his monumental talents weren’t worth the daily grind of dealing with him.

When the mandate had been to gather these immense egos and get the NBA’s greatest players to fit into a program, no one had a more difficult time meshing into the framework than James. Other players made it a point to learn the names of staffers and modestly go about their business without barking orders and brash demands.

No one could stand James as a 19-year-old in the 2004 Athens Olympics, nor the 2006 World Championships. Officials feared James could become the instigator of everything they wanted to rid themselves for the ’08 Olympics. For as gifted as James was, Krzyzewski and Colangelo subscribed to a belief that with Kobe Bryant joining the national team in 2007, they could win a gold medal in ’08 with or without LeBron James. Behind the scenes, officials had taken to calling James’ inner circle, “The Enablers.” No one ever told him to grow up. No one ever challenged him. Everyone had to agree they could no longer let his bossy and belittling act go unchecked. Who else but a petulant spoiled child would have “Chosen 1” and “Gifted Child” tattooed on their back and chest?

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," James said Sunday, a day after the Cavaliers were flushed from a postseason they were supposed to rule. "I'm a winner. It's not about being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

“Oh, but it does make sense. And you're not actually a winner, no matter how many points you score or commercial endorsements you pile up, until you understand that.” – Mike Wilbon

On the court, he has his moments....checking stat lines, he doesn't seem to dominate. MVP of the finals, but I don't think he dominated.

Yeah, you dont watch his games.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

So clear you watched exactly none of these playoffs.

lol thats what i said

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

So clear you watched exactly none of these playoffs.

f i would have seen this i wouldnt have said what i said lol

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 12:36 PM ----------

Sorry LKB, that's really weak when trying to justify respect for Lebron's win since he needed to abandon ship and recruit an all star team himself. Kobe did earlier. He did it more often. The fact that neither did it in isolation hardly makes Lebron more respectable. What he did and more, how he treated Cleveland was downright ****ty. Kobe, as you correctly point out, also had HUGE personal failings of Biblical proportions... nontheless, both Michael and Kobe won earlier in their respective careers. So, one at this point in Lebron's career is not meeting the expectations set aside for the Chosen One, King James.

Nah, this is what is weak. You're comparing LeBron and Kobe's situations and saying they are the same? Did you see the team Kobe had compared to Lebron? The reason why kobe won early in his career was soley because of shaq, thats why shaq won finals MVP the first 3 championships, its not even close to as to whos team it was. How did he treat cleveland ****ty? because he switched teams? or the "decision" debacle, people really need to get over that.

Atleast respect his game, dude has done everything, dominates the regular season, dominates the post season, completely dominates the finals, wins a ring, wins regular mvp, wins finals mvp, becomes a champion, and people still want more? lol

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 12:38 PM ----------

From his interview last night, Lebron learned last year that no matter what he does, he's not going to change some people's minds about him. (Boy, do you see that here.) And he decided not to let it bother him.

I know some people who live in Copley, Ohio very close to where Lebron grew up and went to school, who met him and saw him interact in the community during his high school time. They say that - despite being among the biggest high school stars in the history of the sport - he was a surprisingly grounded, nice kid. Which is a tough thing to do when you have a basketball-crazed nation blowing smoke up your ass telling you you're Jesus. So maybe I'm biased, but I don't see where the entrenched hatred for him comes from.

-He whines on the court? Kobe Bryant has never committed a foul in his NBA career, if you watch his reaction to refs' calls. Almost all of the of the big stars complain on the court.

-The Decision"? A dumb idea, which he himself has forthrightly acknowedged.

-Leaving Cleveland? There's a double edged sword for his critics. He wasn't going to get the support there to win championships. No championships and the critics bark. Show me one superstar in NBA history who won championships without an adequate #2 stud. So he leaves. And the critics bark.

This.

I think I am going to have to put my man Mr.Sinister on the ignore list for a couple of weeks.... #hatin'

I'm having a hard time trying to guess whether or not you're being serious (please feel free to correct me), but I'm sorry to hear that...

Today is a very good day, probably the one day where I will have no qualms about poking fun/joking around at some of the offbase (and old) comments being posted in this thread. By the way, it is pretty rare that I have ever disagreed with you in regards to this topic, and normally, I have made sure to personally exclude you (and a fair number of other people) from any spiritedly contrarian posts that I've made in the NBA thread.

In the past 2 years, I have seen a ton of ridiculous/off base/spamming/illogical/trolling/headache inducing posts made in the NBA thread, and have ignored most of them. I am obviously excluding a lot of the celebrating/mocking of the struggles that the Heat faced during that time span, because it was warranted, and I had no problem with it (I actually laughed at some of it).

So if anyone considers me to be a troll as of this moment, after all the stuff I've seen, I'm perfectly fine with that, and will go pick out a good club to complete the look. They'll live.

I think he is probably the best player since Jordan, and I have never understood the level of hatred that people have for him.

All he "did" to Cleveland was play his azz off for 7 years while they never built a team around him, before finally moving on like 99 percent of us would in that situation. His public relations gaffes are legendary, but this is ridiculous.

“All the people that were rooting for me to fail… at the end of the day, tomorrow they have to wake up and have the same life that (they had) before they woke up today. They got the same personal problems they had today. And I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things I want to do.” - LeBron James

The stone-cold assassins that I have witnessed in my life: Tiger, Jordan, Kobe, Federer, Brady. All had what appear to be strong father-figures in their childhoods. LBJ and his mom agreed that Miami "would make him happy." Need I say more?

So, he needs to be more like Tiger, Jordan, and Kobe?

Those are healthy role models.

Our sports world has become insane. We are now actually demanding that our athletes become sociopaths. If Tiger, Jordan, and Kobe did not have the athletic skill they possess, they would have spent their lives chopping up prostitutes and storing them in freezers. (And, frankly, if it was reported that Jordan had people buried in his basement, would any of us really be all that surpised?)

So' date=' he needs to be more like Tiger, Jordan, and Kobe?

Those are healthy role models.

Our sports world has become insane. We are now actually demanding that our athletes become sociopaths. If Tiger, Jordan, and Kobe did not have the athletic skill they possess, they would have spent their lives chopping up prostitutes and storing them in freezers. (And, frankly, if it was reported that Jordan had people buried in his basement, would any of us really be all that surpised?)[/quote']LeBron can be any way he wants. His only chance to be a champion was to develop a lights out killer mentality (uhhh, not yet) or to join an NBA all star team (Yup.)

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 01:10 PM ----------

Actual LeBron quotes.....On staying with the Cavaliers

“If I didn't believe in this team and this organization and the direction that we're headed, I wouldn't have signed the extension.”

"I don’t want to go "Ring - Chasing" as I call it, you know. Going to a team that’s already pretty established and trying to win a ring with them. I want to stay with the Cavs and build a champion."

"I’ve been a Cav for seven years now, and I’ve never given any indication I was leaving."

“All the people that were rooting for me to fail… at the end of the day, tomorrow they have to wake up and have the same life that (they had) before they woke up today. They got the same personal problems they had today. And I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things I want to do.” - LeBron James

That was a stupid thing of him to say.

I have a question...

We all do/say stupid ****...true. You would've been hard pressed to find a person around here that liked Lebron James 2 and a half years ago, myself included. He provided the spark/kerosene. At what point do people stop and realize that he looked himself in the mirror, and cut the bull****? I say that by realizing that none of us truly know any of these athletes in their most private moments, so normally what I go off of is stuff basketball related, but I digress. At what point are they given credit for that, and acknowledged for their personal growth, in a years time.

Speaking for myself, there was a big difference in me from 18-20, 20-22, and onwards ( I'll be 24 in a few weeks). At what point does he get credit for that in the "He's a terrible person" department, and for how he's come across in interviews this year? That's all I want to know.

LeBron can be any way he wants. His only chance to be a champion was to develop a lights out killer mentality (uhhh, not yet).

Short of bringing a knife onto the court and gutting James Harden like a tuna (which would have been merciful in game four actually), what would he need to do to show you a killer instinct?

Honest to Christ...I just watched the best 7-game stretch I've ever seen a player not named Jordan have...and come here to find out that it wasn't really that impressive.

AS much as it pains me to say it. Lebron significantly upped his game this post season compared to years past. In the past, it seemed like he didn't want the pressure of being #1. This year he loved it. He's long been the best player in the game. He also has a long history of jackassery. That simply doesn't fall away because he got his ring.

I'm having a hard time trying to guess whether or not you're being serious (please feel free to correct me), but I'm sorry to hear that...

Today is a very good day, probably the one day where I will have no qualms about poking fun/joking around at some of the offbase (and old) comments being posted in this thread. By the way, it is pretty rare that I have ever disagreed with you in regards to this topic, and normally, I have made sure to personally exclude you (and a fair number of other people) from any spiritedly contrarian posts that I've made in the NBA thread.

In the past 2 years, I have seen a ton of ridiculous/off base/spamming/illogical/trolling/headache inducing posts made in the NBA thread, and have ignored most of them. I am obviously excluding a lot of the celebrating/mocking of the struggles that the Heat faced during that time span, because it was warranted, and I had no problem with it (I actually laughed at some of it).

So if anyone considers me to be a troll as of this moment, after all the stuff I've seen, I'm perfectly fine with that, and will go pick out a good club to complete the look. They'll live.

Naw man, I am just messin with you. You are the only real Heat fan I know....

LeBron can be any way he wants. His only chance to be a champion was to develop a lights out killer mentality (uhhh, not yet) or to join an NBA all star team (Yup.)

This is utter nonsense. You sound like you didn't watch any of his play this season.

Also what's with the father figure crap Colin Cowherd?

Still don't care for him. You'd think that just because he won, everyone is supposed to like him. He still whines on the court, plus he's a Cowboys fan.

And 1 title doesn't put him in "greatest players of all-time" category.

This is true. Kobe had 3 titles by the age of 23. Yet we got people saying he's better tan Kobe. Huh? Kobe in his prime > Lebron in his. Lebron didn't even become clutch until this past season and even then he still choked. He's a great player, one of the best to do it, but not in MJ or Kobe territory yet.

Archived