Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the Universe have to have a purpose?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

On the same note, is Mathematics a human created idea or is it really "universal?" Because math is based on human created principles and numbers, yet it's necessary for the kind of life we live. Since that's the case, how necessary IS it really (in the grand scheme of things) if it's human created anyways?

To answer your question, I believe the universe does NOT need a purpose mainly because science/physics/math do not need a purpose to exist, and they MAY still exist without any human thought or rationality because those things are considered "primal nature laws," as in, laws that don't change regardless of what happens, and laws that we live our lives by. After all, gravity and anti-matter are the reason the universe exists in the first place, and gravity is a beast of nature that cannot be contained.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

edit: Using the big bang theory, we are ALL literally created from the same star matter. That thought just baffles me, that literally everything we see, use, smell, and feel, is created from the same exact matter since the beginning of time. Creationist theories explain things a lot more fantastically and easier, but science (carbon dating) disproved those theories.

Anything is possible.

Personally, I find great purpose in the universe but not because I feel it HAS to exist. It just does. For me, it is to have children; love them, raise them right, and leave them here to do the same. And that's enough for me (well, that AND to a lesser extent: golf, powder skiing and special time with my wife).

what happened before the big bang? before that? and before that? everything has to come from something, it's not possible to for something to be created from nothing.

I usually have a panic attack when thinking about it for too long LOL. The bong hits probably don't help either ;)

what happened before the big bang? before that? and before that? everything has to come from something, it's not possible to for something to be created from nothing.

I usually have a panic attack when thinking about it for too long LOL. The bong hits probably don't help either ;)

Your questions are invalid because linear time doesn't exist. Also given styx491's observation that

"...we are ALL literally created from the same star matter. ...everything we see, use, smell, and feel, is created from the same exact matter since the beginning of time."

that stuff in your bong bowl might actually be your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa.

So put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! ;)

For me, it is to have children; love them, raise them right, and leave them here to do the same. And that's enough for me (well, that AND to a lesser extent: golf, powder skiing and special time with my wife).

I agree. I don't golf, and I'm not a very good at snow skiing. But I do feel like I exist for my kids, and special time with your wife. ;):ols:

Before that it was the big retraction. Sort of like a sponge.

Your questions are invalid because linear time doesn't exist. Also given styx491's observation that

"...we are ALL literally created from the same star matter. ...everything we see, use, smell, and feel, is created from the same exact matter since the beginning of time."

that stuff in your bong bowl might actually be your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa.

So put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! ;)

dude, why'd you have to go there.

node-mind-blown.gif

We exist but to perpetuate the miracle.

'This Lemming's Explanation for Miracles'

A deranged miracle said unto the Universe

"I is what I is

and I be what I be

so leave I to were alone."

The Universe notes,

"I see now why miracles don't travel in packs.

Good thing.

Makes keeping order far easier."

An Alternate Universe replied,

"True, even lemmings who would choose to follow

would constantly have to check their bearings

forever questioning what it means to 'are.'"

Universe ponders aloud,

"Change him back and undo all he has wrought?"

Alternate Universe:

"Leave it to me."

This Lemming longs to know,

"What are my reality?"

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=30929783#editor/target=post;postID=7769705327433365307

I believe there is enough dark matter in the universe that eventually expansion will stop and contraction will begin. That will culminate in another singularity, another big bang, another go-round for everything.

Yep, that means the beginning of time is just relative to the last big bang, and all accumulated knowledge/advancement/evolution is lost with each cycle, and there is absolutely nothing that any life form on any rock in the entire Verse can do about it.

Thankfully I'm alive now, and not 5 min before the next Big Squeeze. That would SUCK.

I believe there is enough dark matter in the universe that eventually expansion will stop and contraction will begin. That will culminate in another singularity, another big bang, another go-round for everything.

Yep, that means the beginning of time is just relative to the last big bang, and all accumulated knowledge/advancement/evolution is lost with each cycle, and there is absolutely nothing that any life form on any rock in the entire Verse can do about it.

Thankfully I'm alive now, and not 5 min before the next Big Squeeze. That would SUCK.

So do you believe that all events that occurred during the previous "big bang(s)" were identical to the events that have occurred thus far during the current big bang? i.e. because of the laws of physics, there is not random chance and things can only occur one way?

Archived