Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the Universe have to have a purpose?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There is the line of thought that life (or anything) has whatever purpose you choose to give it. :)

And that can be a very broad menu with mixing, substitutions, changes, and take home all allowed. :pfft:

I would assume he's pointing out it's "does it have to have", not "does it have" and it's the latter most answers are addressing (including mine, and mine was deliberate).

Well, seeing how highlander is on right now, I would assume it does. The "have to" remains to be seen, but the enjoyment I'm getting from that and these delicious tacos is pushing me towards a yes.

I just saw the Matrix trilogy on one of the free movie channels last week (never saw the movies all the way through). I now believe that I know nothing, and it's completely possible that I'm nothing more than a cash crop being farmed by machines. I told me wife that the other day when I asked if I could build a deck. She said no.

Well, seeing how highlander is on right now, I would assume it does. The "have to" remains to be seen, but the enjoyment I'm getting from that and these delicious tacos is pushing me towards a yes.

Hence my initial reply. And I agree with you on Highlander, including the Adrian Paul series, and tacos. :cool:

I like to think it does. I also think it's our job figure out what that purpose is. I don't think we will though. I think the universe and its purpose are something different for each person. I sort of approach this question more as "what is the meaning of life?" Constantly searching for something and not knowing what it is. One day we hope to find it.

I like to think it does. I also think it's our job figure out what that purpose is. I don't think we will though. I think the universe and its purpose are something different for each person. I sort of approach this question more as "what is the meaning of life?" Constantly searching for something and not knowing what it is. One day we hope to find it.

I think letting go of that and just accepting "being" is the goal to happiness.

I just saw the Matrix trilogy on one of the free movie channels last week (never saw the movies all the way through). I now believe that I know nothing, and it's completely possible that I'm nothing more than a cash crop being farmed by machines. I told me wife that the other day when I asked if I could build a deck. She said no.

interesting theory but there is a lot that can be taken from that mvoie in terms of the reality of life and it's true meaning. What is the essence of being? Why are we here?

Riggo-toni's indisputable response aside, I say the same thing about "meaning" as I did with "purpose"---you have the 'power" to bring and give what meaning and purpose you would like to your life. Not that such is always simple or easy to do at all, given none of us have control over everything that happens and "the things that happen" can either facilitate or hamper, to extreme severity at times, our ability level in doing such. Nonetheless.... :)

A book I heartily recommend is Roy Baumeister's Meanings of Life.

(he's also a great guy but I still look younger than him though he's actually younger :D)

In this extraordinary book, an eminent social scientist explores what empirical studies from diverse fields tell us about the human condition. Meanings of Life draws together evidence from psychology, history, anthropology, and sociology, integrating copious research findings into a clear and conclusive discussion of how people attempt to make sense of their lives. In a lively and accessible style, emphasising facts over theories, Baumeister explores why people desire meaning in their lives, how these meanings function, what forms they take, and what happens when life loses meaning.

The volume includes a review of interdisciplinary literature that covers what the social sciences say about such matters as happiness, suffering, and death. It explores people's need for a sense of purpose, values, control over their lives, and a sense of self worth. Divorce and religious conversion are also examined.

The book attempts to analyze the myths of fulfilment and higher meaning, illusions of eternity, the suppression of female sexuality, the failure of the work ethic, why death is more threatening to us than it was to our ancestors, and how suffering stimulates the quest for meaning. It demonstrates how happiness depends more upon one's interpretation than actual circumstances, and shows that the keys to happiness are attitude, judicious comparison, a bit of luck and a healthy dose of self-deception.

There's a lot more to the book than that reviewer's perspective/summary, of course.

Riggo-toni's indisputable response aside, I say the same thing about "meaning" as I did with "purpose"---you have the 'power" to bring and give what meaning and purpose you would like to your life. Not that such is always simple or easy to do at all, given none of us have control over everything that happens and "the things that happen" can either facilitate or hamper, to extreme severity at times, our ability level in doing such. Nonetheless.... :)

A book I heartily recommend is Roy Baumeister's Meanings of Life.

No doubt life has obstacles you other finds ways through them or take another path in hope you still find what you are looking for. Issue is knowing when you found it

semi on topic, my wife bought me this awesome book last year called "The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives," written by Physicist Leonard Mlodinow. It was a fun read,and was also a mind blower.

In this irreverent and illuminating book, acclaimed writer and scientist Leonard Mlodinow shows us how randomness, change, and probability reveal a tremendous amount about our daily lives, and how we misunderstand the significance of everything from a casual conversation to a major financial setback. As a result, successes and failures in life are often attributed to clear and obvious cases, when in actuality they are more profoundly influenced by chance.

I would assume he's pointing out it's "does it have to have", not "does it have" and it's the latter most answers are addressing (including mine, and mine was deliberate).

This and that the first answer is an absolute and second answer allows for ambiguity. The question asked is a yes-or-no but the multiple choice answers are yes-and-maybe. Why not ask for yes or no and then explain your answer?

This and that the first answer is an absolute and second answer allows for ambiguity. The question asked is a yes-or-no but the multiple choice answers are yes-and-maybe. Why not ask for yes or no and then explain your answer?

No, it has no purpose. It just is and always will be, as it always has been.

No, it has no purpose. It just is and always will be, as it always has been.

Dude, I will never be able to wrap my head around that. Blows my freaking mind just thinking about it. How can something be around forever? And I know there really is no concept of time when it comes to the universe, but my brain won't let me accept that the universe has "always been." Expanding, contracting, expanding, contracting...since....forever.

I'm serious when I say thinking about the history of the universe for too long makes me have a mini panic attack :ols:

Dude, I will never be able to wrap my head around that. Blows my freaking mind just thinking about it. How can something be around forever? And I know there really is no concept of time when it comes to the universe, but my brain won't let me accept that the universe has "always been." Expanding, contracting, expanding, contracting...since....forever.

I'm serious when I say thinking about the history of the universe for too long makes me have a mini panic attack :ols:

Just let go of it. We're only human. We may not even be the brightest thing on our own planet. No need to wrap your mind around it. Our individual significance is smaller than the smallest grain of sand compared to it all.

Our individual significance is smaller than the smallest grain of sand compared to it all.

I agree with everything you said, but this part in particular is so true. Planet earth and everyone on it aren't even worth a fart to the universe.

interesting theory but there is a lot that can be taken from that mvoie in terms of the reality of life and it's true meaning. What is the essence of being? Why are we here?

Really?? Sounded to me like an AP psychology course from high school. Perhaps there's a third tier of the Matrix (above the human farms) that is actually reality, where I get an "A" in that class instead of dropping it for "Basketball IIII."

Archived