Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ranking the best debut albums of all-time (read the OP)

Sticksboi05

220px-Police-album-outlandosdamour.jpg

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 03:03 PM ----------

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnYTBOhuLrZAKETduUyOInP6WqF7YJnz2bB5XPFz2aAbStA3jx

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 03:09 PM ----------

220px-Bangkok_Shocks_Saigon_Shakes_Hanoi_Rocks.jpg

The Police is easy choice. Amazing album. Start to finish.

I couldnt believe Kill Em All wasnt listed. The album took the Speed Metal movement into the forefront. James Lars and Kirk should be forced to listen to this album every day for the rest of time so they can hear what they used to be.

Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes and Hanoi Rocks. Influential glam rock album at the beginning of the "Hair Metal movement". Bridged the gap between straight glam bands like "NY Dolls, T. Rex, etc" and straightforward metal bands like Priest and lead to bands like Motley Crue, Poison Def Leppard etc.

And the free for all has begun... (read the OP)

Tool-Undertow.jpg

Their first full length album. One of the roughest albums I had heard as a kid. Not just musically but lyrically. The dropped D guitars and Maynard unbelievable vocal range blew me away. The success of this album was unreal. And the fact that they intentionally wrote songs that would not get airplay made it seem even more successful to me. Add in the fact that they sounded just as good live as they did in the studio, made for one of the greatest bands of all time.

And the free for all has begun... (read the OP)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Tool-Undertow.jpg

Their first full length album. One of the roughest albums I had heard as a kid. Not just musically but lyrically. The dropped D guitars and Maynard unbelievable vocal range blew me away. The success of this album was unreal. And the fact that they intentionally wrote songs that would not get airplay made it seem even more successful to me. Add in the fact that they sounded just as good live as they did in the studio, made for one of the greatest bands of all time.

One album per post?

Weezer's Blue Album.

Weezer_-_Blue_Album.jpg

Everyone should own it at one point in their life. Songs about Surfing, Nerd games, alcoholism. Poppy and infectious.

This was, of course, before they became too pretentious for their own good.

CountingCrowsAugustandEverythingAfter.jpg

August and Everything After

When this came out in '93 I couldn't stop listening to it. Full of introspective and personal songs and with Durtiz's unique vocals and the bands sound, they hit a home run with this debut.

Seal_-_Seal_%281991_first_album%29_CD_album_cover.jpg

A really REALLY good album. Seal shows a wide range and extraordinary soul voice.. it rocks, it grooves, it is mellow, its soulful.

He never came close to it again. It's unfortunate he' known for "Kiss from a Rose' or whatever that pap was called. The first album is excellent.

~Bang

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (1977)

Great songwriter and still going strong. One interesting thing about this album, besides the music itself, is that some of the guys from Huey Lewis and the News were in his backing band at the time. Timeless music even my parents liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCoUlO8Sns&feature=fvsr

Why it's great:

Hard to explain. Just full of great songs and a precursor to decades of great songwriting. This album was released when I was a little kid, but I eventually sort of back-tracked from growing up in an 80's punk rock state of mind and really learned to appreciate all kinds of great music. This was one of those records that opened up my mind. Costello was sort of a reverse bridge for me, introducing me to music that wasn't 1-2-3-4,I don't want your ****ing war thrash. I still listen to this album and love it. It has passed the test of time for me.

Since the Clash's awesome 1977 debut was already mentioned in the OP, I will happily say X's "Los Angeles," which was released in 1980.

"Los Angeles" is a great album from start to finish. The highlights include "Los Angeles," "Your Phone's Off the Hook," "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene," "Nausea," and "The World's a Mess."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/CountingCrowsAugustandEverythingAfter.jpg

August and Everything After

When this came out in '93 I couldn't stop listening to it. Full of introspective and personal songs and with Durtiz's unique vocals and the bands sound, they hit a home run with this debut.

An amazing debut album. An amazing album period. I wore that CD out when it came out...

Is the song "Killer" on that album? I freaking love that song. Classic

Yes.

And good call on Terrence Trent D'arby, Cali. I really liked that one, but he again was another who never came close to that first album.

~Bang

Since the Clash's awesome 1977 debut was already mentioned in the OP, I will happily say X's "Los Angeles," which was released in 1980.

"Los Angeles" is a great album from start to finish. The highlights include "Los Angeles," "Your Phone's Off the Hook," "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene," "Nausea," and "The World's a Mess."

X is one of the best unknown bands. I think they were about to tour, but she has cancer. - rumor I've heard.

I don't really care if you are the typical "oh Liam Gallagher has whiny vocals" clown who dismisses all of Oasis because What's the Story? (Morning Glory)'s tracks, namely Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova have been beaten to death since 1995.

'Definitely Maybe' was the fastest selling debut album in UK history I believe. However, it is often over shadowed by 'Morning Glory', particularly in the United States. To me, what sets 'Definitely Maybe' apart from 'Morning Glory' (other than its more raw, rock n roll sound) is Noel Gallagher's song writing. Songs like 'live forever' and 'rock n roll star' are truly inspiring considering Noel's situation at the time he wrote them. He had wealth and fame by the time he wrote wonderwall, champagne Supernova, etc...Still great songs, but not as pure as his first collection of songs which were written in a time of poverty and unemployment.

Archived