Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ranking the best debut albums of all-time (read the OP)

Sticksboi05

A debut album is critical. It sets you into the time period and gives you your name. For many artists, their first was their best. The highest selling debut used to be a band named after New England's largest city. Now it belongs to, and probably will always belong to, a group that blew the top off America in 1987.

So what are some of the best debut albums of all-time. Explain why. Music isn't fun to discuss without explanations. And remember, it is subjective but arguments with class and maturity are welcome.

Let's keep it to one album per post.

I'll begin with:

b992f691.jpg

It's edgy and full of energy. If you can get through London's Burning or White Riot without getting amped, you should be commended. The Clash were never a better 'punk' band than on their 1977 debut. London Calling, their best album, is part punk but is influenced by a lot of other musical styles like reggae. This stands as an elite debut in music history.

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle has to be mentioned somewhere. It was the album by a black artist that made rap mainstream instead of just a fad.

I would toss in The miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Bringing back a style that was long forgotten and making it cool to not be cookie cutter anymore.

How about Daughtry ? This kid pulled off losing American idol to become one of their top selling artists from his first album.

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle has to be mentioned somewhere. It was the album by a black artist that made rap mainstream instead of just a fad.

As much as I love Doggystyle rap was far more than a fad by 1993.

Run-D.M.C..jpg

The sound of Run DMC was just so good. Another album that I played to death as a kid. Still just absolutely love it.

As much as I love Doggystyle rap was far more than a fad by 1993.

The sound of Run DMC was just so good. Another album that I played to death as a kid. Still just absolutely love it.

Not really. I saw RUN DMC along with the Beastie Boys at the Cap Centre on their Raising Hell tour. Doggystyle took it to the next level. It was at the time the most anticipated album of the year of any genre.

chicago_transitauthorityLP_fr.jpg

With their self-titled debut album, Chicago Transit Authority kicked down the door and strutted in, knowing they were the most talented group in the room (next to the Beatles). They had the aggressive, bluesy guitar riffs of Terry Kath, a clean, brassy horn section and one of the more underrated rhythm sections in rock and roll history in Robert Lamm on keys and Danny Seraphine on drums.

When a lot of people think of Chicago, they usually think to sappy 80s love ballads. When I think of Chicago, I think of this album. It was experimental, daring and, in my opinion, of the best debut albums of all time

bluefood sure loves his Chicago. They never did that much for me.

For me:

vXEPi.jpg

The Violent Femmes debut album was so good, they never even came close to matching it again. In fact, it might as well be their greatest hits album. And it truly is great.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

Pioneered a whole new genre of music. So much talent in one group. Once again the number of samples on this album are more than my brain can handle. Dr Dre is essentially the Quincy Jones of his generation.

Dre is unbelievably talented. I'm not sure NWA would have been all that without him. He is almost the entire West Coast rap scene collected in one person.

hqdefault.jpg

i am terrible at explaining what i like, but i really liked this ep debut. loved the jangly rickenbacker, stipes mumbly vocals, the fact that you couldnt understand a word he sang made it mysterious. very different, very beautiful.

Damn you China for beating me to the Doors first album. I'm gonna go with Wu Tang Clan / 36 Chambers. The whole Cd was just a great game changer and I still remember the first listen through like it was yesterday. They had a ton of talent and many of them went on to do their own things but this Cd really stands up over time for me.

southernplayalisticadillacmuzik.jpg

Completely changed the game. In an era dominated by west coast gangsta rap, these cats figuratively walked through the woods, got out some machetes, and cut their own path through with Southerplayalisticaddilacmuzik.

Soulful beats, just the overall southern feel of their music, coupled with dope lyrics, and their overall message, just set these guys apart from everyone else at that time. And yeah, they started to change afterwards (though their music was still great), but people always look back to this album as the one where they were completely raw and uncut, gritty, and less commercialized/catchy (which again, wasn't a bad thing, at least for them)

---------- Post added May-3rd-2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

No one has said Illmatic yet?

Wow thought that would be higher up on lists considering its regarded as one of the top Rap albums of all time

No, and it should be, it's only that it's been done to death on here. I was actually going to go with either that or Rage Against The Machine (self titled), but decided to go with OutKast.

I love rock and other genres, but I always feel it's my responsibility to make sure hip hop is represented in these threads.

Two immediately came to mind. Kosher Ham beat me to one of them: Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg. Youngsters just can't appreciate how impactful and influential that album was. Introduced G Funk to the world and officially made West Coast hip hop a force to be reckoned with after NWA has set the stage.

My second choice though is even greater in my opinion. Not only is it a debut album, it is, in my opinion, the greatest hip hop album ever made. In 1994, a 20-year-old kid from Queensbridgr crashed onto the scene...

nasillmatic.jpeg

I was always a West Coast guy, but nothing touches Illmatic.

Oasis-Definitely-Maybe.jpg

Don't dismiss all of Oasis because What's the Story? (Morning Glory)'s tracks, namely Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova have been beaten to death since 1995. Definitely Maybe, which is better than Morning Glory and a true rock and roll album, is a hell of a debut. The guitars are loud and energetic, the production is raw and this is the only album they made before becoming the biggest band in the UK and for a short time, arguably the planet. Could it be classified as too Beatlesy? Maybe. But is it a seminal rock record, Definitely. Slide Away, Supersonic and Live Forever (so much better than Wonderwall or anything on Morning Glory) are great songs and Columbia and Shakermaker are great as well. Whenever people say I like Oasis, I know they mean Wonderwall and Champgane etc. and it's too bad. Definitely Maybe was as good as they were, ever. Everything past Morning Glory is suspect.

Also, Murmur is brilliant. I love that album.

Archived