Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ranking the best debut albums of all-time (read the OP)

Sticksboi05

You guys forgot the last musically innovative (at least guitar wise) game changer:

CD01B.jpg

Obviously this album probably influenced more guitarists since Are You Experienced. There's not a clunker on the album at all. It also helped to put rock music back on the map after the disco explosion. Without Eddie you don't have Slash or Mike McCreedy.

Never in history has a musical piece that was about 1:30 long changed the face of music so much.

Rage-Against-the-Machine-Rage-Against-the-Machine-%5BVinyl%5D.jpg

This album was simply groundbreaking. First really successful merger of rap and metal. It spawned a million imitators, but no one (including Rage themselves) have been able to match it. It would sound fresh if it came out tomorrow.

Pearl Jam's "ten" is way high on my list, so is Van Halen's 1st...

Am surprised no one has mentioned Boston...good grief, people, history in recording was made there!!

Boston was mentioned in the OP, so I went with Bad Company. Anyway yeah Boston's debut is a classic, no filler. Every song was good.

My personal favorite debut album of all time personally is probably either Garth Brooks - Garth Brooks or MIchael Jackson's - Off The Wall. I feel like both artists, while having bigger selling albums come later, did their very best work in each of these debuts. JMO

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 09:33 AM ----------

Boston was mentioned in the OP, so I went with Bad Company. Anyway yeah Boston's debut is a classic, no filler. Every song was good.

Yep, great album. I listened to many hours of that as a kid.

Rage Against the Machine

Bliz beat me to the punch. A totally new type of music which has never been duplicated. To this day, Rage is one of my top 3 favorite bands.

Just for entertainment value, I'll go a little away from "epic, genre changing" album, to just a great album that can be put on repeat.

Third Eye Blind:

075596201223_xl_cd.png

Yeah they're kinda cheesy, but the music is great. I'm not a huge alternative fan, but I can listen to this whole album over and over.

Pioneered a whole new genre of music. So much talent in one group. Once again the number of samples on this album are more than my brain can handle. Dr Dre is essentially the Quincy Jones of his generation.

Yeah that changed the game back in the day. They had a compilation album released back in 1987 I think, N.W.A and the Posse, where they had "Dopeman", "8-Ball", and "Panic Zone" was their tracks. Eazy also did "Boyz-In-The-Hood" on that compilation album.

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 11:45 AM ----------

reasonable-doubt-jay-z.JPG

In my honest opinion, he will never top this. You can listen do this forever and will never get old. My favorite is still Track 4, Dead Presidents.

high-voltage-55.jpg

Greatest rock and roll band of all time. First two songs were about how they were going to blow the world away with their Rock. Never sold out to itunes and never made a greatest hits album. Your kids and your grandparents know their tunes and they're still doing it 30 years later and doing it well.

well... i can't believe this one isn't up there yet....

VU.jpg

it is usually the music snob's first pick :)

(but it is actually well earned.. great album!)

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 05:32 PM ----------

but this would be my FIRST choice;;;;

220px-Specials_uk_front.jpg

but only because THIS wasn't a full album!

fishbone_ep.jpg

The_Cars_album_cover_resized.jpg

My favorite track...

It was a great singalong, maybe because of misheard lyrics :

Misheard bridge lyric = "It's an orangy sky, always with some other guy, it's just a ****ing alibi"

Actual bridge lyric = "It's an orangy sky, always it's another guy, it's just a broken lullaby"

1. "Good Times Roll"

2. "My Best Friend's Girl"

3. "Just What I Needed"

4. "I'm in Touch with Your World"

5. "Don't Cha Stop"

Side two

6. "You're All I've Got Tonight"

7. "Bye Bye Love"

8. "Moving in Stereo"

9. "All Mixed Up"

i can't feel this way much longer expecting to survive

with all the hidden innuendoes just waiting to arrive

it's such a wavy midnight and you slip into insane

electric angel rock and roller i hear what you're playing

it's an orangy sky always it's some other guy

it's just a broken alibi bye bye love

substitution mass confusion clouds inside your head

involving all my energies until you visted

fogging all my energies until you visited

eyes of porcelain and blue they shock me into sense

you think you're so illustrious you call yourself intense

Seriously. One of the top 5 underrated bands of all time.

Even their album last year was great.

Archived