Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

Ok but TEs arent gonna run the same routes as a Wr. The deepest routes a TE is gonna run are those posts, flags, and seam routes. To be a playmaking TE they need the YAC. They arent gonna run by or jump over everyone the way Moss did. Its different skill sets.

Not to be a ****, but I'm totally baffled by your exchange with Cali. You essentially say that he hasn't been getting as much YAC since '07. When Cali responded that he led all TEs in '08 and '10 in this statistic, you say that he hasn't been as much of a playmaker. Then you define a playmaker as someone who gets a lot of YAC.

I understand the concern over Cooley's health(and age), but the dude has been a YAC monster up until last year. If he's healthy and sticks around he's a great asset to this team... especially given Shanahan's comments on YAC.

Back to the OP, I love this move. Great insurance for both Davis and Cooley while giving him a chance to get on the field more. As many pointed out, last year his being on the field sort of telegraphed what we were doing. Put him on the field as a TE and it could easily be run or pass.

People have said he'll struggle against LBs and DEs, but don't Davis and Cooley struggle there as well? Against a 4-3 defense he could really shine since he wouldn't be that much smaller than a lot of the ends and backers. If he's about Cooley's weight I see this as kind of a moot point anyway (his lack of size that is).

I'll also add that I'm very impressed with McCardell's comment about Paul.

Unfortunately, there's not much room. Cannot cut the total of his remaining salaries without extending him or turning him into an automatic cap casualty next year. So we end up hamstringing our future cap space plan. From a cap management pov, our best strategies seem to be either to cut him now, do nothing or extend him.

The two options that make any sense with Cooley are paycut or release. Nothing else makes any sense. When people say "restructure" with him, I assume they mean paycut, because a typical restructure (ie turning salary into bonus) with Cooley would be incredibly stupid at this point.

Lol this just made my day. He's already 235 which is basically what Cooley is but if he can get around 245 then i'll be ecstatic, just another weapon for RG3. 4.4 speed vs linebacker. Ohh god our offense is going to be racking up points BIG time

The two options that make any sense with Cooley are paycut or release. Nothing else makes any sense. When people say "restructure" with him, I assume they mean paycut, because a typical restructure (ie turning salary into bonus) with Cooley would be incredibly stupid at this point.

Don't forget trade. So three options, though I sincerely hope we find a way to keep him around. He's easily one of my favorite of all time.

Edit: just realized you said two that "make sense", so maybe you left trade out on purpose.

What's the latest on Cooley's knee anyway? The only thing I can remember is him saying he could have played at the end of last year.

Not to be a ****, but I'm totally baffled by your exchange with Cali. You essentially say that he hasn't been getting as much YAC since '07. When Cali responded that he led all TEs in '08 and '10 in this statistic, you say that he hasn't been as much of a playmaker. Then you define a playmaker as someone who gets a lot of YAC.

I understand the concern over Cooley's health(and age), but the dude has been a YAC monster up until last year. If he's healthy and sticks around he's a great asset to this team... especially given Shanahan's comments on YAC.

Let me try to explain. Theres a differenve between a guy being the league leader in yac, and a guy being a playmaker using yac. If you throw a guy 3 yd hitch routes, and can consistently turn them into first downs. He'll probably end up leading the league in yac. But i wouldnt call just making first downs being a playmaker (imo, cooley of the past few years). Then theres the guys that will break some tackles and take it to the house (much like cooleys first few years i the league).

My initial comment that i responded to was along the lines of "wiggling away for yac". Or simply breakin tackles. And from my view he is no longer breaking as many tackles anymore. You can lead all TEs in yac and still not break as many tackles. Yac stands for yards after catch. Not yards after contact.

Don't forget trade. So three options, though I sincerely hope we find a way to keep him around. He's easily one of my favorite of all time.

No one's going to give up anything for Cooley. We missed the boat on that by not acting on it a couple of years ago. It just ain't gonna happen.

If Paul really is moving to TE, then Cooley needs to go. Someone has to be a blocking TE on the roster.

No one's going to give up anything for Cooley. We missed the boat on that by not acting on it a couple of years ago. It just ain't gonna happen.

If Paul really is moving to TE, then Cooley needs to go. Someone has to be a blocking TE on the roster.

Pretty strong words, lol. If he's healthy I think he'd be tremendous value for a later round pick. The major issue is his contract (and his willingness to be traded of course), but can't a team renegotiate his contract before agreeing to the trade? All I know is if I were a GM/coach in need of a TE, I'd gladly give up a pick for him (or a player). Especially given that losing a step with age, whether that's happened or not yet, isn't likely to affect his game all that much.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 10:03 PM ----------

Let me try to explain. Theres a differenve between a guy being the league leader in yac, and a guy being a playmaker using yac. If you throw a guy 3 yd hitch routes, and can consistently turn them into first downs. He'll probably end up leading the league in yac. But i wouldnt call just making first downs being a playmaker (imo, cooley of the past few years). Then theres the guys that will break some tackles and take it to the house (much like cooleys first few years i the league).

My initial comment was that i responded to was along the lines of "wiggling away for yac". Or simply breakin tackles. he is no longer breaking as many tackles anymore. You can lead all TEs in yac and still not break as many tackles. Yac stands for yards after catch. Not yards after contact.

Gotcha, that makes ALOT more sense. Now You've got me wondering where Cooley has ranked in 'yards after contact' over his career.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 10:03 PM ----------

Total pro-rateable bonuses cannot exceed some % of total salaries over the life of the contract (this is to prevent teams from paying a huge SB with vet min salaries for instance) though I'm not sure of what this % is and the effect of things like p5 salaries. This is why contracts are "back loaded" as this either allows a big current signing bonus or allow for future restructure room. Depending on outstanding pro-rateables, it is very likely you will need to extend the player. A player cannot just take a paycut unless you are talking about cutting a guy and then re-signing him. So, your options with Cooley are to move him, eat the salary or extend him (which would allow you to reduce his cap hit).

Paul at TE just mean they are going to keep one more WR. It just opens up more room for players like Austin. I like the move by Shanny. I think He's the master at manipulating rules.They are going to line Paul up at WR all season
I don't think there's any rules on how many players have to play each position. You can have 53 running backs on your team if you want. :silly:

So Shanny doesn't have to call Paul a TE to slip him in the lineup. He can have a dozen WRs suit up every Sunday, just only 46 total active players on gameday.

Total pro-rateable bonuses cannot exceed some % of total salaries over the life of the contract (this is to prevent teams from paying a huge SB with vet min salaries for instance) though I'm not sure of what this % is and the effect of things like p5 salaries. This is why contracts are "back loaded" as this either allows a big current signing bonus or allow for future restructure room. Depending on outstanding pro-rateables, it is very likely you will need to extend the player. A player cannot just take a paycut unless you are talking about cutting a guy and then re-signing him. So, your options with Cooley are to move him, eat the salary or extend him (which would allow you to reduce his cap hit).

That's not right. You're talking about a rule that applied to contracts that extended into uncapped years. That doesn't apply here.

Right now, unless he proves me wrong, the biggest problem with Niles at TE is that it tips our hand too much. I can see him as a receiving tight end and maybe even chipper and blocker before going out on a route. I have a difficulty being a great blocker in the running game, sealing the edge, stopping backside pursuit, or knocking des and lbs out of the way on a sweep.

Niles Paul as a TE? I don't see it, kinda hate the move. I think he has a lot of potential as a WR and his good speed would really help Griffin, he also doesn't have the size or bulk to play TE and I mean plus we have Fred and Chris there anchoring it down. I say keep developing him as a WR and give him some snaps this year, he has a lot of potential as a wide receiver even though he probably could do alright as a situational TE.

I don't see the harm in it. It was well publicised when he was drafted out of Nebraska (a notoriously run-heavy team where receivers are expected to block alot) that he could block. Of course there's a difference between blocking a CB and blocking a linebacker or defensive end - but there are alot of TEs who can't block at all so he's an upgrade over those guys.

This is not a move that would have happened with Rex (or any other QB for that matter) under centre, this all stems from what Kyle plans to do with RGIII and i'm very intrigued by it.

If anything I would think Cooley would be more expendable with this move. :2cents:

I think CC has improved greatly with regard to pass blocking. I still want to find a way to keep him a Redskin. For me, although I like and respect Moss, I can accept seeing him in a uniform other than ours. CC, OTOH, I would have a hard time with for some reason.

I think CC has improved greatly with regard to pass blocking. I still want to find a way to keep him a Redskin. For me, although I like and respect Moss, I can accept seeing him in a uniform other than ours. CC, OTOH, I would have a hard time with for some reason.

I understand that you like Cooley (so do I) but I still think he might be expendable with Paul's move to TE.

Davis and Paul as your explosive TEs and Paulsen as the blocker.

Works for me.

This is not a move that would have happened with Rex (or any other QB for that matter) under centre, this all stems from what Kyle plans to do with RGIII and i'm very intrigued by it.

i just read through all 10 pages and this struck me as the most interesting post.

obviously the shanahans know more than all of us, so whatever they do they have a reason for it. im not going to question their moves. it does seem as though they are trying to get faster, which we need because we lack the "big play" and usually speed is a factor in that.

dont criticize them for switching players around, embrace the change and the fact that we are putting the best players on the field.

I understand that you like Cooley (so do I) but I still think he might be expendable with Paul's move to TE.

Davis and Paul as your explosive TEs and Paulsen as the blocker.

Works for me.

Did you SEE Paulsen out on the field last year?

If he wasn't getting a dumbass penalty, he was getting blown up BAD on his blocking assignments, A total liability out there. Dude regressed BAD in his sophomore year.

If anything, provided Cooley's healthy, he'd be the TE I'd have as most under pressure for not being around here come opening day.

Hail.

*Edit* Completely agree with Chump BTW. I appreciate you can't have room for sentiment in pro sports, but darn if I don't want to see Cooley play ANYWHERE but here his career.

Archived