Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

30 and coming off of several recent injuries. Him looking slower and more hobbled is exactly where the smart money is going forward

I have no idea about his health status, but I wasn't aware he had 'several' injuries. Thought it was a knee injury that didn't go away? Anyway, if he's healthy, my money would be on faster and un-hobbled given that he lost a bunch of weight. :)

Of course I expect a decline in the next few years for sure.

In terms of Paul's blocking as a TE, I'm guessing he could be fairly successful against 4-3 DEs and 'backers but possibly struggle against the bigger 3-4 guys. Thoughts?

Dang what happened to CC47? Is he not healthy or is his style of play no longer preferred?

It's going to be tough for Paul to transition as a TE. No one is going to take him seriously as a blocker. On top of that we now have 4 pass catching TEs. At least Sellers was decent blocker when he made the switch. I wish Paul the best but it's generally not a good sign for a coach to ask you to change positions.

FYI: My comment about Paul being a fat ass was me being sarcastic.

Ask and ye shall receive

Paul even wears the same number :D

I love the move... Shannon Sharpe was only 228 lbs so I don't see any reason while Paul, already 221 lbs, can't put a few lbs of muscle on his frame... this might be the best thing for his career and for Skins' fans who want to see him on the field more (such as myself!)

I love the move... Shannon Sharpe was only 228 lbs so I don't see any reason while Paul, already 221 lbs, can't put a few lbs of muscle on his frame... this might be the best thing for his career and for Skins' fans who want to see him on the field more (such as myself!)

He's currently 234.

Niles Paul‏@Niles_Paul84Reply

Retweet

I feel more explosive then ever at 234! Feels right...

I think we're over analyzing some things here. It seems to me that the move is simply there to take up that 3rd TE spot. He's a stud special teamer and they need him on the roster. He's not going to catch any passes this year with Hankerson, Moss, Armstrong, Garcon, Morgan, Davis, Cooley (assuming), and whoever else.

I think we're over analyzing some things here. It seems to me that the move is simply there to take up that 3rd TE spot. He's a stud special teamer and they need him on the roster. He's not going to catch any passes this year with Hankerson, Moss, Armstrong, Garcon, Morgan, Davis, Cooley (assuming), and whoever else.

Cue NP catching the GW TD in the Super Bowl

RT“@Red_Ridn_Hood Chris Cooley is at OTA's.. Have 4 TE's don't waste ur money buying a Cooley jersey just yet... Outta here! #SkinSider ”

ES is not going to like this!

Why? Sounds like it's this person's guess, and little more...not to mention the Skins had 4 TEs last offseason as well (Davis, Cooley, Paulsen, Sellers). Unless Red_Ridn_Hood is a Skins insider with a proven track record (never heard of them so I wouldn't know) that tweet means nothing.

Why? Sounds like it's this person's guess, and little more...not to mention the Skins had 4 TEs last offseason as well (Davis, Cooley, Paulsen, Sellers). Unless Red_Ridn_Hood is a Skins insider with a proven track record (never heard of them so I wouldn't know) that tweet means nothing.

She's the chick in the skinsinsider podcast in this forum, LL jsteelz and TK seem to stand by her so I will give her a pass.......

Chris Russell tidbits regarding Cooley & Niles Paul:

1.) Chris Cooley is in serious trouble (obviously).

2.) There is NO restructuring of his deal unless its the bare bones minimum

3.) Russell was told that the Skins have ABSOLUTELY NO CONFIDENCE in Cooley's ability to be an intermediate threat much less a down the field one.

4.) The plan is to run Chris into the ground during OTAs to see where his knee/speed is at.

5.) Niles Paul thinks the transition to TE will be easy as far as his weight goes.

Says he's naturally heavy and had to fight to stay in the 220s.

Damn about Cooley. I understand where Shanahan is at with his health and his age, but he was one of the few bright beacons in a tumultuous storm filled era of Redskins football. For me personally it will be a sad day when CC47 is no longer a redskin. Sounds like he may be a long shot, but I'm pulling for him!

Sucks about Cooley, but Paul moving to TE would be HUGE for us. He has the speed and receiving ability to fit into Shanny's scheme, like Davis does. Cooley would do wonders in the right offense still (aka the Gibbs offense for which he was drafted for), but his time here may be at an end with the RG3 era beginning.

I'm 100% comfortable moving forward with Davis/Paulsen/Paul at TE, trading Cooley for a 3rd or 4th round pick (hopefully). This keeps Paul on the roster and not taking up a WR spot.

Chris Russell tidbits regarding Cooley & Niles Paul:

1.) Chris Cooley is in serious trouble (obviously).

2.) There is NO restructuring of his deal unless its the bare bones minimum

3.) Russell was told that the Skins have ABSOLUTELY NO CONFIDENCE in Cooley's ability to be an intermediate threat much less a down the field one.

4.) The plan is to run Chris into the ground during OTAs to see where his knee/speed is at.

5.) Niles Paul thinks the transition to TE will be easy as far as his weight goes.

Says he's naturally heavy and had to fight to stay in the 220s.

If they had absolutely no confidence, then why is he still a Redskin? We could've badly used his $6+ million cap dollars when there were free agents to be had (Demetress Bell, for example)

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 06:43 PM ----------

I also don't think it's unreasonable for us to cut him, with the expectation that he re-signs at a much lower cost. Who's going to give him good money across the league? And he's also exactly the type of character to take less money to stay with the Redskins/Shanahans/the area. Especially now that we've finally got our exciting QB

As for Paul -- he's got a tight end's mentality and a wide receiver's athleticism. With the way NFL passing offenses + rule changes are evolving, he looks like he'll be a far greater threat at TE than he would've been developing as a WR

I don't think many people know this but we have former Broncos 2nd rounder Richard Quinn. Paulsen won't make it past first cuts

I don't remember hearing this at all...wasn't he supposed to be a hell of a blocking TE coming out? (still not worth a 2nd, but still)

Archived