Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

Did you SEE Paulsen out on the field last year?

If he wasn't getting a dumbass penalty, he was getting blown up BAD on his blocking assignments, A total liability out there. Dude regressed BAD in his sophomore year.

If anything, provided Cooley's healthy, he'd be the TE I'd have as most under pressure for not being around here come opening day.

Hail.

*Edit* Completely agree with Chump BTW. I appreciate you can't have room for sentiment in pro sports, but darn if I don't want to see Cooley play ANYWHERE but here his career.

We are in agreement GHH and I was about to post the same thing.

A lot of you are jumping in a bounce house for a 6'2" receiver who can run 4.4, converting to a TE and putting on weight to get to around 245lbs....and you still think he can run a 4.4 and be the same guy he was in..college I guess because we didn't see him run routes as a WR too often.

Where are your sources? I'd like to see where he can run 4.4 at 245 lbs still? I'm not doubting, but you guys seem to believe it already happened and I haven't seen it yet. I want to share in your excitement.

A lot of you are jumping in a bounce house for a 6'2" receiver who can run 4.4, converting to a TE and putting on weight to get to around 245lbs....and you still think he can run a 4.4 and be the same guy he was in..college I guess because we didn't see him run routes as a WR too often.

Where are your sources? I'd like to see where he can run 4.4 at 245 lbs still? I'm not doubting, but you guys seem to believe it already happened and I haven't seen it yet. I want to share in your excitement.

Not Niles Paul, but I just read on Yahoo that the Dolphins signed a 6'4" 245 pound ex-accountant to play TE. He ran a 4.4

If there is a way to bulk up w/o losing too much speed, I'm sure the NFL guys can figure out a LEGAL way to do this...no David Boston LOL

Is there some requirement that he has to weight in at 245? He is about 235 per a couple tweets mentioned in this thread, similar to what Shannon Sharpe weighed when he played for Mike Shannahan, also previously posted in this thread.

*Edit* Completely agree with Chump BTW. I appreciate you can't have room for sentiment in pro sports, but darn if I don't want to see Cooley play ANYWHERE but here his career.

Yeah, Cooley is the one guy on our squad that'd I'm sentimental about. A blue collar type of guy with a great personality and an infectious love of the game and the Redskins. He's maybe the only player I've seen that truly seems to bleed B&G.

Is there some requirement that he has to weight in at 245? He is about 235 per a couple tweets mentioned in this thread, similar to what Shannon Sharpe weighed when he played for Mike Shannahan, also previously posted in this thread.

No requirements, just reading threads and seeing people would like him to get to about 245. Not everyone, just a few various threads.

I have no problem with this if Niles Paul wants to do it and is all in to put in the work. I think Fred Davis is a stop gap and will be gone after this year, if Paul can learn the position and threaten to be here for the long haul as a TE then great. Getting rid of Fred Davis is one more step closer to being rid of the memories from 2008. Albeit he has been a top 10 TE for us at times, the page after page records of him not paying attention in meetings, and then last year's marijuana problems....It's not worth the money to pay him top 5 TE money for years to come.

Right now, unless he proves me wrong, the biggest problem with Niles at TE is that it tips our hand too much. I can see him as a receiving tight end and maybe even chipper and blocker before going out on a route. I have a difficulty being a great blocker in the running game, sealing the edge, stopping backside pursuit, or knocking des and lbs out of the way on a sweep.

Wouldn't this be the opposite of last year when we ran the ball every time he was on the field? (seriously, I remember seeing something like other then the Carolina game every snap was a run when he was out there)

Davis is not slow. He may not have Paul's speed, but he's not slow by any means.

davis is definitely a fast TE, there's not a LB in the NFL right now I'd trust 1-1 with davis.

cooley is on the slower side but we'll see how looks when he has 2 legs to run on this season. last season was just bad with the gimpy knee. It's not like cooley uses his speed to get open anyways, he's always been a good route runner.

I could definately see paul making it as the 3rd TE, he was extremely physical as a WR, and has the attitude to be a good blocker at TE if he can physically hold up, which I think he could. that and he'd be an immediate threat at the TE position.

No requirements, just reading threads and seeing people would like him to get to about 245. Not everyone, just a few various threads.

I have no problem with this if Niles Paul wants to do it and is all in to put in the work. I think Fred Davis is a stop gap and will be gone after this year, if Paul can learn the position and threaten to be here for the long haul as a TE then great. Getting rid of Fred Davis is one more step closer to being rid of the memories from 2008. Albeit he has been a top 10 TE for us at times, the page after page records of him not paying attention in meetings, and then last year's marijuana problems....It's not worth the money to pay him top 5 TE money for years to come.

I'm always amused when people want to replace a proven player with one who hasn't done jack **** in the NFL. Paul did very little as a receiver last year and still has a lot to prove to make this team. Pencilling him in as a replacement for Fred Davis is highly premature.

Considering that his primary contribution last year as as a blocker, moving to TE makes a lot of sense. I wish him luck in his transition.

What in the world makes you think Fred is a stopgap? It was Devin Thomas who didn't pay attention and fell asleep in meetings (unless I missed something with Fred, I'd like to see proof of this). Fred lost weight before last offseason so he came into camp lighter for the 2011 season. Other than the weed, Fred has been a good player for us. I'm not sure what basis you have for saying he's a stopgap.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 10:54 AM ----------

cooley is on the slower side but we'll see how looks when he has 2 legs to run on this season. last season was just bad with the gimpy knee. It's not like cooley uses his speed to get open anyways, he's always been a good route runner.

And he lost 20 pounds.

Yeah, Cooley is the one guy on our squad that'd I'm sentimental about. A blue collar type of guy with a great personality and an infectious love of the game and the Redskins. He's maybe the only player I've seen that truly seems to bleed B&G.

Again, couldn't agree more.

He may have grown up in Utah a Broncos fan, but nobody for me epitomizes and encompases everything about what wearing the B&G should be all about.

For a kid born in Wyoming and raised in Utah, he's the one current Redskin above all others I'm happy and proud to class as 'one of our own.'

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 10:05 AM ----------

Once. He fell asleep ONCE as a naive rookie through a meeting, and suffered the ridicule and doubtless lambasting from his coaches. And I'm under NO illusions that Shanahan will of ripped both Davis and Williams a new one behind closed doors to the extent I'll be utterly shocked if either, or ANY current player put's his teammates, coaches and this organization at risk by such a boneheaded move as to get caught on a test, recreational drugs or not.

And you seriously want to get rid of one of a young, athletic, pass catching TE that's in the upper tier in this league at the position over two boneheaded discretion's? Cooley's at the tail end of his career, and Paul is a totally unproven commodity at TE, who, even if he hypothetically transitions; would still leave us looking for another one the next few years in this scenario.

Each to their own, but I think it would be totally to our detriment to off-load one of our most dangerous offensive weapons anytime soon.

Hail.

I'm always amused when people want to replace a proven player with one who hasn't done jack **** in the NFL. Paul did very little as a receiver last year and still has a lot to prove to make this team. Pencilling him in as a replacement for Fred Davis is highly premature.

Considering that his primary contribution last year as as a blocker, moving to TE makes a lot of sense. I wish him luck in his transition.

I didn't "pencil him in" as you mentioned. I did however suggest that I believe Davis is here this year as his last year. I don't think he did himself any good with his drug suspension last year (which...by the way means he has failed previously to warrant the 4 games last year). Another negative test and he's done for a season. That's no good. So, with that in [my] mind, we obviously need a TE to replace him. If the staff things highly of Paul in this regard, and Paul is going to put in the work to learn the position, he has an opportunity, nothing more.

I think this is great and demonstrates the Shanahans willingness to experiment.

1) The Skins ran the ball a lot when Paul was in the game last year anyway.

His best attribute as a professional so far is his blocking. He was essentially a TE who lined up out wide or in motion. For those saying he's not a "heavy" blocker or that he won't be able to handle LB's and safeties, remember our scheme. We run a lot of stretch and zone plays where his role will be to direct his opponent. He won't be asked to "move a man from point A to point B against his will" (as Russ Grimm said in his HOF speech).

2) I have a feeling (and there was a great thread about it a little while ago) about the Skins adopting more spread looks. It was related to whether or not the Shanahans would adapt their scheme in the same way that Carolina adapted to Cam Newton. I don't think we'll see that level of change, but there seems to be an increased emphasis on speed with the new WRs. Paul could shift between TE and WR. As a TE he's a clear speed mismatch in the passing game for most LBs since he runs somewhere around 4.5. If the defense decides to put a DB on him, Skins can audible to a run to his side where he's a blocking mismatch. As a TE/WR in the slot, he offers some formational flexibility.

3) The knock on Paul was that he was unrefined as a route runner and I don't think he has the all out speed, quickness combo to beat NFL corners. But against a LB or SS, the athletic odds are tilted more in his favor.

If one player can offer some tactical flexibility by learning another position, they can create mismatches or keep the defense guessing pre-snap. I think that's a good thing. If it doesn't work, then he goes back to a career path as a special teams guy, 4th/5th receiver. If it does work, he's another potentially explosive weapon in the toolbox. It's a low cost experiment, and one that could pay dividends given his unique combination of skills.

What in the world makes you think Fred is a stopgap? It was Devin Thomas who didn't pay attention and fell asleep in meetings (unless I missed something with Fred, I'd like to see proof of this). Fred lost weight before last offseason so he came into camp lighter for the 2011 season. Other than the weed, Fred has been a good player for us. I'm not sure what basis you have for saying he's a stopgap.

I believe he had a really rough first year in meetings, and it was known that he slept through one of the very first practices in his rookie year. Him being a stop gap [to me] is only because of his off-field issues. He has performed as a top 10 TE for us at times (didn't I acknowledge that????). The fear of his next suspension being a year is very scary, and a liability. I'm not making the decisions, having private meetings with him or seeing him on a daily basis, so I trust the coaching staff to make the decision.

I'm just a fan with an opinion based on what I read on forums and news articles, you don't need to attack my opinion. And I don't think I am being unfair about it.

I think the bigger question is how a guy 6'1 225 lbs going to survive at TE?

Maybe he see's shannon sharpe in him? Shannon was 6'2 228lb's, basically the same size and weight. Maybe he is to big for safies and to fast for lb's? Cannot hurt to take a look.

Once. He fell asleep ONCE as a naive rookie through a meeting, and suffered the ridicule and doubtless lambasting from his coaches. And I'm under NO illusions that Shanahan will of ripped both Davis and Williams a new one behind closed doors to the extent I'll be utterly shocked if either, or ANY current player put's his teammates, coaches and this organization at risk by such a boneheaded move as to get caught on a test, recreational drugs or not.

And you seriously want to get rid of one of a young, athletic, pass catching TE that's in the upper tier in this league at the position over two boneheaded discretion's? Cooley's at the tail end of his career, and Paul is a totally unproven commodity at TE, who, even if he hypothetically transitions; would still leave us looking for another one the next few years in this scenario.

Each to their own, but I think it would be totally to our detriment to off-load one of our most dangerous offensive weapons anytime soon.

Hail.

No, I want him to stay. I've loved watching him on the field. I'm not advocating getting rid of him. I hope the coaching staff is convinced he wont' have any other issues. But if they aren't, then they obviously need to put a player in a position to get an opportunity to play TE.

I believe he had a really rough first year in meetings, and it was known that he slept through one of the very first practices in his rookie year. Him being a stop gap [to me] is only because of his off-field issues. He has performed as a top 10 TE for us at times (didn't I acknowledge that????). The fear of his next suspension being a year is very scary, and a liability. I'm not making the decisions, having private meetings with him or seeing him on a daily basis, so I trust the coaching staff to make the decision.

I'm just a fan with an opinion based on what I read on forums and news articles, you don't need to attack my opinion. And I don't think I am being unfair about it.

I can respect your opinion as a fan and I know Fred overslept his first practice, hence the nickname, Sleepy, but other than the weed, I haven't seen any "off the field issues" outside of that. He's an integral part of the offense and true, if he tests positive, he'll be gone for the year, but that doesn't make him a stopgap, since they placed the franchise tag on him. I think what you are getting at is, he signed the one year franchise tender and this is his make or break year (as far as the drug tests are involved and not his play on the field) and if he screws up, he could be gone.

No, I want him to stay. I've loved watching him on the field. I'm not advocating getting rid of him. I hope the coaching staff is convinced he wont' have any other issues. But if they aren't, then they obviously need to put a player in a position to get an opportunity to play TE.

Right, gotcha'. Sorry. I obviously read far more into your post than I ever should of. My bad.

Hail.

I can respect your opinion as a fan and I know Fred overslept his first practice, hence the nickname, Sleepy, but other than the weed, I haven't seen any "off the field issues" outside of that. He's an integral part of the offense and true, if he tests positive, he'll be gone for the year, but that doesn't make him a stopgap, since they placed the franchise tag on him. I think what you are getting at is, he signed the one year franchise tender and this is his make or break year (as far as the drug tests are involved and not his play on the field) and if he screws up, he could be gone.

I probably shouldn't have used the word stopgap, as that indicates that he's gone after this year regardless. It wasn't the message I wanted to get across. I just think the franchise tag this year is perfect for him and the organization. Another year to build trust and prove responsibility. However, no harm in giving someone else an opportunity, if they are in fact asking Paul to work with the TE's this year.

Archived