Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

I think this is a farce. Paul playing TE is not what this team needs. We need people to play their actual positions and move the extras for draft picks.

I agree.

We totally need 12 wide receivers, or we need to let him go play wide receiver elsewhere.

This business of trying to fit talented players to the team by moving them from their collegiate positions is a joke.

we need Vinny back. this stuff has to stop. we could easily find a very expensive useless tight end in free agency, and wouldn't have to waste everyone's time tinkering around with these "draft picks".

~Bark

Exactly my thinking, that's a BIG change and would have caused either concern, or thoughts of a position change (with his propensity for blocking) all on its own. Can't believe that wasn't everywhere if true!

very interesting. Im a bit uncertain on this possible transition, regardless of Paul's penchant for blocking, but ill remain pleasantly optimisitic until proven otherwise.

Do we really need another TE? I mean unless we plan on cutting Cooley for cap reasons

I thought I heard Larry Michael the other day on his show say something about don't be surprised if the Redskins use a draft pick on a TE.

I would rather see Niles moved to TE before we burn a pick on one.

Unless he's gona' be bulking up by 30 plus pounds, that two and two your adding together in the OP is coming out at 10.

I can't even see him as some kind of hybrid WR/H-back. Shanahan was real high on Paul's ability last year, even more so than Hankerson.

He'll be part of the receiving corp this on the active roster unless he's surprisingly regressed.

Hail.

I thought I heard Larry Michael the other day on his show say something about don't be surprised if the Redskins use a draft pick on a TE.

I would rather see Niles moved to TE before we burn a pick on one.

Now that I could well see if there's a bigger, blocking TE we like.

Paulsen regressed badly last year in all facets, and became a penalty prone, bullied liability out there. Unless Cooley's not recovered, the one/ two are set with two of the best pass catching TE's in the league.

Y'all are grasping at some pretty big straws here with Paul. Even given the tweets.

Hail.

Unless he's gona' be bulking up by 30 plus pounds, that two and two your adding together in the OP is coming out at 10.

I can't even see him as some kind of hybrid WR/H-back. Shanahan was real high on Paul's ability last year, even more so than Hankerson.

He'll be part of the receiving corp this on the active roster unless he's surprisingly regressed.

Hail.

He currently weights 234 lbs. Cooley is down to 235 lbs. Seems he's the right size if this is what Shanahan wants. Shanahan loves him, but a lot of that seems to be for his blocking and ST's ability. If we want to carry more WR's and manage to keep Paul's talents on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised to see this, especially since the insiders have been hinting heavily that Cooley could be gone.

Paulsen regressed badly last year in all facets, and became a penalty prone, bullied liability out there. Unless Cooley's not recovered, the one/ two are set with two of the best pass catching TE's in the league.

Y'all are grasping at some pretty big straws here with Paul. Even given the tweets.

Hail.

Not grasping at straws at all when its been reported.....

Hail.

So I guess the FO is grasping because they are the ones moving him to

TE and he is currently learning and working out at the position, @ 234.

He currently weights 234 lbs. Cooley is down to 235 lbs. Seems he's the right size if this is what Shanahan wants. Shanahan loves him, but a lot of that seems to be for his blocking and ST's ability. If we want to carry more WR's and manage to keep Paul's talents on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised to see this, especially since the insiders have been hinting heavily that Cooley could be gone.

If Cooley's gone maybe I could see it at a push, but even then I'd still be shocked if he wasn't part of the receiving group and an emergency/ swing TE to cover for a year.

Hail.

Which is the last year i remember him being relatively healthy.

Yeah, but you said this:

"From '04 - '07 id agree. But since these injuries have been stacking up on him, hes been going down quicker and easier."

You seemed to think that Cooley hasn't been good for YAC since '07 due to injuries "stacking up" on him, slowing him down and making him easier to tackle. The fact that he lead all TEs with YAC in 2010 would seem to at the very least contradict your viewpoint.

And for the record, in 2008 Cooley lead all TEs in YAC as well. So in the 4 seasons after the stretch you mentioned, Cooley lead all TEs in YAC in two of them. So as mentioned before, if Cooley is healthy I don't think his YAC ability should be so easily and quickly dismissed.

If Cooley's gone maybe I could see it at a push, but even then I'd still be shocked if he wasn't part of the receiving group and an emergency/ swing TE to cover for a year.

Hail.

Yeah, I could see it as a way to "sneak" him onto the roster if there are 6-7 other WR's that we like who aren't fit for another roster designation. But as a "move" TE, he'd still be part of the receiving group. Which would help him get on the field more since he won't with Garcon/Morgan/Hankerson all playing outside WR, and since him being on the field last year was almost a dead giveaway that it was a running play.

Not grasping at straws at all when its been reported.....

From those tweets in the OP?

Still seems a stretch to me J that it's anything more than him possibly being a swing WR/ TE cover IF Cooley's not back. Or like Con and Cali suggested, a way around spot designation.

Certainly not as deep as some seem to be reading into it. Just not seeing anything more than that.

Hail.

Yeah, but you said this:

"From '04 - '07 id agree. But since these injuries have been stacking up on him, hes been going down quicker and easier."

You seemed to think that Cooley hasn't been good for YAC since '07 due to injuries "stacking up" on him, slowing him down and making him easier to tackle. The fact that he lead all TEs with YAC in 2010 would seem to at the very least contradict your viewpoint.

And for the record, in 2008 Cooley lead all TEs in YAC as well. So in the 4 seasons after the stretch you mentioned, Cooley lead all TEs in YAC in two of them. So as mentioned before, if Cooley is healthy I don't think his YAC ability should be so easily and quickly dismissed.

It was simply an opinion cali man. Just because he led the league in those years doesnt mean he was the Cooley we saw when he first came into the league. TE has quickly become another spot for a playmaker in the NFL, and i dont believe hes the playmaker he used to be early in his career. Despite leading the league in some stat categories.

Again, just my opinion.

It was simply an opinion cali man. Just because he led the league in those years doesnt mean he was the Cooley we saw when he first came into the league. TE has quickly become another spot for a playmaker in the NFL, and i dont believe hes the playmaker he used to be early in his career. Despite leading the league in some stat categories.

Again, just my opinion.

I think if he's healthy, outside of maybe NE, it's the best one/ two punch in the league at the position. And if utilized, would give Griffin a fantastic safety net as he adapts to the pros.

Even if CC has dropped off.

Hail.

He would probably get more targets with the ball at TE than WR, and yet likely doing the same thing he excelled at when on as a WR, blocking. He can also be used in scat back type roles too if he keeps his home run speed, which I expect he will. I think it would be a good move for Paul and the team.

We'll draft a WR from this strong class, Paul is just the next step in athletic TEs ;)

Archived