Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

He better have bulked up 20 pounds somehow. I can see him being used like Aaron Hernandez, which is to say he'll more likely be used like a slot receiver. It's interesting to me that Hernandez is listed as an inch shorter than he measured at the combine, where he was listed as almost 2 inches taller than Paul.

Interesting......... I hope he can put on a few pounds then..... Yeah he was very physical when blocking WR, but blocking DE's, and LB's is a diffrent story....... If true I wounder if they are possibly thinking about using Cooley as amo to move up in the draft with some late round picks....... But truely an interesting story

He definitely would need 15 pounds to add to his frame. I don't think the 6'1 is too much of a problem.

Definitely not. Hernandez is listed at 6'2" on wiki, but he's most definitely 6'1", I don't care what the combine said :ols:. And if he's going to be playing a hybrid role, its even less important to gain weight, though 15 lbs would help him immensely.

BurgundyBlog.com‏@BurgundyBlog

Shannon Sharpe played TE for Shanny at around 6'2"/228. How'd that work out? Oh… #HallOfFame

Good point!

Kind of a different era, though. Still, its possible. Shanahan is in love with Paul's work ethic and blocking, though. So it would be useful to get him on the field at a position that doesn't automatically signal a running play haha.

BurgundyBlog.com‏@BurgundyBlog

Shannon Sharpe played TE for Shanny at around 6'2"/228. How'd that work out? Oh… #HallOfFame

Good point!

Exactly this.

And don't forget this:

Once he is completely healthy, Cooley expects to perform at a higher level this season thanks largely to the fact that he lost 20 pounds over the offseason. As a result, the tight end feels quicker, and believes that his endurance has improved.

“I weigh 20 pounds less than I’ve ever weighed. I’m 234 pounds today,” Cooley said. “Coach Shanahan said Shannon Sharpe played at about 234, 235, so he was pretty good. I definitely feel different.

Really don't see Niles Paul being asked to gain a ton of weight

Have to imagine Shanahan has studied how creative and explosive an offense New England has with two highly athletic, pass-catching tight ends. With our lack of draft resources + bevy of needs over the next few years, doesn't seem like we'll have the luxury of spending a high pick on another such tight end.

Niles Paul could be our best bet in our attempts to emulate what the Patriots have, multiple plus-athletes at the tight end/h-back position

Paul tweeted a few weeks back that he weighed 242 I believe.

What?? I can't believe a tweet like THAT wouldn't raise eyebrows. Its gotta be "good weight", to facilitate a move like that, and it must have been in the works as he continued to work out and grow into his frame. Very, VERY interesting if he actually weighs 242. That would make him larger than what Cooley supposedly weighs, and nobody's ever questioned his size (though he did recently shed those pounds).

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 05:17 PM ----------

I think this is a farce. Paul playing TE is not what this team needs. We need people to play their actual positions and move the extras for draft picks.

Huh? This may be his new, "actual position". Not to mention that this would ALLOW us to move a TE for draft picks, from your point of view. It probably won't happen, but it makes it slightly more likely.

I have no idea how you look at this and think it LESSENS the chance of moving someone for draft picks...

I am all for this move. I dont think Niles has the wiggle to get open against NFLCBs. But LBs and safetys, ohhhhhhh yea.

Niles and Fred, with Paulsen as our blocking TE, I love it.

I love Cooley. Always will. But he hasnt been healthy for quite a while. Add to that were trying to get younger and faster, this could be it for 47.

I am all for this move. I dont think Niles has the wiggle to get open against NFLCBs. But LBs and safetys, ohhhhhhh yea.

I love Cooley. Always will. But he hasnt been healthy for quite a while. Add to that were trying to get younger and faster, this could be it for 47.

One thing I will say for Cooley though, is that he's always been gifted at wriggling for YAC that he had no right getting. And Shanahan might value that.

The insiders seem to suggest that Cooley's roster spot is in jeopardy though, and not just because of his cap number.

I don't know. Shanahan always stresses depth; he even believes we could've made the playoffs if we didn't get hit by the injury bug.

Once we were down to Paulsen last year, we basically had to abandon much of our playbook and we went to far more 0 TE, 3 WR, 2 back sets. Paulsen's a very limited player, and combined with the likelihood that we probably wouldn't be able to get more than a 6th for Cooley at this point (really - his stock is as low as it's ever been coming off a major injury and career-worst year) -- I think it's more likely that Cooley is kept around.

He's still got a lot more value on a 53-man roster than a guy like Paulsen. And over the next 3 years, will be a better player than Paulsen... Paulsen's got so little upside, he'll probably be replaced with someone in the draft regardless.

By a number of accounts, the Shanahans really like Cooley. And vice versa. I see him having a role to play here, particularly with his versatility and professionalism, even if he only ends up with ~30 receptions on the year

Really?? i feel like that tidbit of information would have been all over ES. Didnt hear anythig about it..

Exactly my thinking, that's a BIG change and would have caused either concern, or thoughts of a position change (with his propensity for blocking) all on its own. Can't believe that wasn't everywhere if true!

One thing I will say for Cooley though, is that he's always been gifted at wriggling for YAC that he had no right getting. And Shanahan might value that.

The insiders seem to suggest that Cooley's roster spot is in jeopardy though, and not just because of his cap number.

From '04 - '07 id agree. But since these injuries have been stacking up on him, hes been going down quicker and easier.

I think that's the big question... What does this mean for Cooley?

Either a release or restructure.. I see a release on the horizon thought.. unless they can get something for him in a trade. I know with Dallas Clark on his way to retirement, the Colts could use a TE.

Also, in bringing in a rookie QB, having a guy like Cooley -- a long-time NFL vet, dependable, highly charismatic, personable, well-versed in all things Shanahan and the offense -- he's another asset for RGIII. Can't say that about a guy like Paulsen, or Paul

yeah, but it may not be worth it at his current price.. he will have to restructure to have any chance in staying with the team.

Archived