Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

LL‏@LL56_HTTRReply

Retweet

Skins offense is about Tempo. Paul is up to 235lbs and a hell of a blocker that could give defenses fits from TE. ... http://tmi.me/oCWHE

LL‏@LL56_HTTRReply

Retweet

Keep in mind the ZBS has players block spaces on the move and its more of a control block with leverage vs power ... http://tmi.me/oCX3z

Did you listen last week ? RT“@KMBmoreSkins @LL56_HTTR I'm more curious as to whether Cooley's days are numbered as we get closer to June 1st. and now with NP moving it seems like it”

Yeah, I vividly remember him saying he gains a lot of weight when he works out a lot.

It was during that speed competition the players were chatting about a month ago. He said that even though he gained a lot of weight, he was still as fast as ever. Thing is, Sean Taylor did this after his rookie year but felt that while he lost no speed, he did lose his wiggle so he cut back down in 2007. I heard Davis indicate the same thing.

It was simply an opinion cali man. Just because he led the league in those years doesnt mean he was the Cooley we saw when he first came into the league. TE has quickly become another spot for a playmaker in the NFL, and i dont believe hes the playmaker he used to be early in his career. Despite leading the league in some stat categories.

Again, just my opinion.

But the talk was about Cooley's ability to gain YAC...not about his ability to be a playmaker. YAC does not equal playmaker.

For example, Randy Moss was undoubtedly a playmaker in 2007 with the Patriots...his stats were basically 100 catches, 1,500 yards and 23 TDs. However, his YAC was abysmal. He ranked #25 of all WRs in yards after the catch.

I thought I heard Larry Michael the other day on his show say something about don't be surprised if the Redskins use a draft pick on a TE.

I would rather see Niles moved to TE before we burn a pick on one.

Yeah I think the offensive line and depth at linebacker should be the paramount concern for the draft

But the talk was about Cooley's ability to gain YAC...not about his ability to be a playmaker. YAC does not equal playmaker.

For example, Randy Moss was undoubtedly a playmaker in 2007 with the Patriots...his stats were basically 100 catches, 1,500 yards and 23 TDs. However, his YAC was abysmal. He ranked #25 of all WRs in yards after the catch.

Ok but TEs arent gonna run the same routes as a Wr. The deepest routes a TE is gonna run are those posts, flags, and seam routes. To be a playmaking TE they need the YAC. They arent gonna run by or jump over everyone the way Moss did. Its different skill sets.

Either a release or restructure.. I see a release on the horizon thought.. unless they can get something for him in a trade. I know with Dallas Clark on his way to retirement, the Colts could use a TE.

Unfortunately, there's not much room. Cannot cut the total of his remaining salaries without extending him or turning him into an automatic cap casualty next year. So we end up hamstringing our future cap space plan. From a cap management pov, our best strategies seem to be either to cut him now, do nothing or extend him.

Yeah I think the offensive line and depth at linebacker should be the paramount concern for the draft

No question, along with the DB's. (Particularly safety.).

But I don't think a big, blocking TE would takeaway from things much at the back end of our draft if there's someone they liked in the role.

Hail.

I like it, he is known for his blocking as a WR. If he can translate that into ok tight end blocking it could really put serious pressure on D's. Hopefully the shannahans have been burning the midnight oil and are coming up with a new and novel evolution of their offense to take advantage of RGIII and give defenses something they have never seen from the shannahans before.

I think this is a farce. Paul playing TE is not what this team needs. We need people to play their actual positions and move the extras for draft picks.

This guy also does not like the transitions from Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham from a completely different sport to NFL TE. A great blocking WR that has size and speed .. TOOOOO crazy to even consider a transition from WR to TE. When you add a playmaking QB, it opens up a lot of doors. This position change could very well be one of them.

Griffin under Center

Garcon, Hankerson (or Morgan) plus Moss in the slot

Davis and Paul (or Cooley) at TE.

Helu (or Royster)

That is a giant pile of talent, size, speed, athleticism, youth .. and a sprinkle of leadership from Moss and possibly Cooley.

I like it, he is known for his blocking as a WR. If he can translate that into ok tight end blocking it could really put serious pressure on D's. Hopefully the shannahans have been burning the midnight oil and are coming up with a new and novel evolution of their offense to take advantage of RGIII and give defenses something they have never seen from the shannahans before.

Best way for defenses to deal with an RG3-type is to play 5-6 DBs where one spies on him. A good way to prevent the opposing defense from doing this is to have a run threat offense on the field to force them to play more vanilla defense or force them to use that extra DB to check the pass first.

Best way for defenses to deal with an RG3-type is to play 5-6 DBs where one spies on him. A good way to prevent the opposing defense from doing this is to have a run threat offense on the field to force them to play more vanilla defense or force them to use that extra DB to check the pass first.

We have ran decently with the box stacked. If they consistently put in 5 or 6 db's our offensive line should look much better. I think it will really be an eye opener how much better our O talent will look with a real honest to god legit QB threat.

I read this and have to confess, I found myself nodding in agreement.. This isn't even new news. I remember reading Niles exit interveiw from last year when he mentioned getting some reps at TE, presumably when Smokey Davis was sat down.

If this is where Shanahan see's him fitting in and being productive then why not? I would rather see him make it at TE than on the street or playing WR for someone else.

We have ran decently with the box stacked. If they consistently put in 5 or 6 db's our offensive line should look much better. I think it will really be an eye opener how much better our O talent will look with a real honest to god legit QB threat.

I sincerely hope your right man, but as we currently stand pre-draft, I don't see a rookie QB making a group of back-up's, which 3 or 4 of them are in an ideal World; look that much better than they are.

Hail.

*Edit* The O-line that is, before there's any confusion.

Archived