Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Niles Paul moving to TE?

SkinsGuru

I probably shouldn't have used the word stopgap, as that indicates that he's gone after this year regardless. It wasn't the message I wanted to get across. I just think the franchise tag this year is perfect for him and the organization. Another year to build trust and prove responsibility. However, no harm in giving someone else an opportunity, if they are in fact asking Paul to work with the TE's this year.

Cool. You're second explaination let me know what you were getting at.

I didn't "pencil him in" as you mentioned. I did however suggest that I believe Davis is here this year as his last year. I don't think he did himself any good with his drug suspension last year (which...by the way means he has failed previously to warrant the 4 games last year). Another negative test and he's done for a season. That's no good. So, with that in [my] mind, we obviously need a TE to replace him. If the staff things highly of Paul in this regard, and Paul is going to put in the work to learn the position, he has an opportunity, nothing more.

Well, they wouldn't have made him a franchise player and have talks about a long-term contract if they believed he was only going to be here one year. To quote Allen:

“We franchised Fred because he was our most valuable free agent and we couldn’t get a deal done [before free agency]," general manager Bruce Allen said. "But we’re hoping to get a deal done that is a longer-term deal and we’ll see what happens in the future.”

BTW, there are plenty of players who had the 4 game suspension and never had an infraction again. The year suspension is really big and only the people with the biggest problems end up getting that. I think Fred will be fine.

I LOVE this (hypothetical) move. Put as much speed on the field as possible. He's got fantastic TE assets, even if a little small. But with our zone scheme, his high level of strength, work effort, etc...I don't think the lack of one or two inches will be a big deal. Think of it in context of its effect on the total team, not just Paul as a TE.

He's a huge mismatch against LBs due to his speed. That, combined with Bobby Thrigital's skill set, is going to encourage more DBs on the field. That will take a huge load off our RBs and Offensive Line. We're creating a damned-if-you do, damned-if-you-don't kind of offense. Love it.

In case it hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/niles-paul-preparing-to-switch-to-tight-end/2012/04/20/gIQAEtEkVT_blog.html

Niles Paul preparing to switch to tight end

By Mike Jones

As the Washington Redskins began their voluntary offseason conditioning program this week, second-year pro Niles Paul started preparing to switch from wide receiver to tight end.

Paul, whom the Redskins drafted in the fifth round out of Nebraska last year, played in 13 games as a rookie, recording two catches for 25 yards. Most of his action came on special teams, but he did start two games at receiver and pleased coaches with his effective blocking.

In the last three games of the season, with Chris Cooley on injured reserve, and Fred Davis suspended, the Redskins used Paul sparingly as a backup tight end. Apparently, Mike Shanahan and his assistants liked what they saw.

“Coach gave me a call earlier this offseason and asked me how I’d feel about switching to tight end,” Paul said in a phone interview Friday morning. “I told him, ‘I’ll play wherever you want me.’ I’ve done everything I’ve been asked, and I’ll keep doing it. I’m excited about the position change. I’m excited that coach has enough respect for me that he’d call me to ask me what I thought about it.”

Paul has attended all the tight end meetings of the Redskins offseason program this week, a development that 106.7 The Fan’s Grant Paulsen first reported Thursday evening.

Paul said he doesn’t yet fully know what his role will be, but he is focusing on learning as much as he can from tight ends coach Sean McVay and teammates Davis, Cooley and Logan Paulsen. The Redskins often use multiple tight end sets in their offense, and Paul has been asked to learn both the ‘Y’(or lead tight end) and ‘Tiger’ (more of a secondary/blocking end) positions.

There’s a degree of uncertainty with the Redskins’ tight end position. The Redskins hope that Davis – who was suspended for four games for failing multiple drug tests last season – can build on his production last year, when he recorded 59 catches, 796 yards and three touchdowns. Cooley was limited to five games (eight catches, 65 yards) because of a recurring knee injury, and it remains to be seen whether the Redskins are willing to carry him at his current cap figure of $6.23 million. Paulsen is a solid blocking end, but in two years has a combined 13 catches for 148 yards and a touchdown.

“I definitely think I can do it,” Paul said. “I’ve got the size and the mindset, so it’s not far-fetched to say I can do it. I’m picking up everything pretty well so far. But it’s still early, so we’ll just have to wait and see how exactly they’ll use me.”

Paul is listed at 6-foot-1, 224 pounds. But the muscular player, who at last year’s combine ran a 4.45-second 40-yard dash, said he played at 228 pounds for much of the season, and maintaining that weight was a struggle despite a religious exercise regimen and healthy eating. At one point, he reached 234 pounds, and consulted with the team’s strength and conditioning coaches, who took his body fat percentage and came to the conclusion that Paul was still at a healthy, lean weight.

“They said 234 was my natural weight, so I can bulk up a little more to play tight end,” Paul said. “They want me at no more than 238, but no less than 232.”

And this (kinda re-hashing the article above):

Cooley, Paul and the Redskins TE situation

April, 20, 2012

12:57 PM ET

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Word out of Washington Redskins headquarters is that Niles Paul, a fifth-round draft pick last year as a wide receiver, is changing positions and will work as a tight end this offseason. Per Mike Jones:

"Coach gave me a call earlier this offseason and asked me how I'd feel about switching to tight end," Paul said in a phone interview Friday morning. "I told him, 'I'll play wherever you want me.' I've done everything I've been asked, and I'll keep doing it. I'm excited about the position change. I'm excited that coach has enough respect for me that he'd call me to ask me what I thought about it."

Paul has attended all the tight end meetings of the Redskins offseason program this week, a development that 106.7 The Fan's Grant Paulsen first reported Thursday evening.

An interesting development, I'd say, given the Redskins' current tight end situation. The star of the group is Fred Davis, who was the Redskins' most dynamic receiving threat in 2011 before missing the final four games due to a drug suspension. The fan favorite is Chris Cooley, who missed 11 games with hand and knee problems and carries a $6.23 million cap figure for 2012. Adding Paul to the mix to see whether he can become a viable option is worthwhile both ways. With all of the new options at wide receiver, it's probably Paul's best way to try and make sure he has a spot on the team. And from the team's standpoint, if he shows he can play it, it allows the Redskins some flexibility in their decision-making with regard to Cooley.

The Redskins like Cooley and love to be able to run two-tight end sets that help set the perimeter for the offense. But they do have salary-cap concerns, in large part because they're losing $18 million in cap room each of the next two years as punishment from the league for their spending behavior in 2010, and $6.23 million is a lot for Cooley if he can't get on the field. They could ask him to take a pay cut or restructure, but their leverage in such a negotiation would be limited if they didn't have another option for replacing him. Cooley is also a candidate to be cut, in which case, obviously, the team would like to have replacement options.

We may actually have a lot of talent and weapons on this team, now that we have a QB to use them. There's a lot of question marks and a lot that needs learning, but I think with such a young team it will create the right atmosphere for that. Less pressure, more performance. We may be very dangerous sooner than later.

Paul is a fat ass so we'll see how it works out.

What are you talking about?

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 11:24 AM ----------

I've been saying this for a while. He's more of a TE to me then a WR. I don't know where this idea that he has "blazing speed" comes from. He ran a 4.45 which is fast, but I wouldn't call it stellar. If he bulks up a little more it sounds like a great move to me.

He's definitely fast in-game though with pads on, doesn't seem to lose any of that 4.45 speed. You can see how fast he is on Special Teams compared to other players.

Good luck blocking an LB

I'm thinking of this a little differently. If they put a LB on him, we audible out of the run and try and exploit that LB. If they go in Nickel, we send Paul out wider and have him block the corner.

There's also a good chance that teams will bring a safety into the box to try and cover Paul, and Paul should still be able to dominate a safety with his run blocking.

This is a great move by Shannahan by not wasting players you draft. All good coaches find a way to utilize guys with talent instead of letting them leave just because they can't contribute at one specific area. Great teams do this and he has already shown it can pay off...Darrel Young

i REALLY don't get the negativity about this.

1) At 234 he is extremely solid and just about the same size as most NFL fullbacks

2) we run an offense that doesn't even ask the linemen to go nose to nose with a D-lineman and push him out of the way. They certainly aren't going to ask a TE to

3) TE's Chip on DE's (most DE's now way about 260-275 it's not that big a difference) and cut off LB pursuit. He could do that at 225 let alone 234

4) Athletically he would cause serious match-up problems for defenses.

what's not to like about giving him a shot to play a position he is actually probably better suited for than WR at this point?

They could be making him into more of a WR/TE hybrid.....or......

It is April' date=' so it could also mean absolutely nothing! Is it unheard of for WR's and TE's to work together sometimes? I wouldn't think so..[/quote']

Do some reading, he confirmed that Shanahan asked him to switch to TE. He'll be attempting the switch, its not a question.

Also being picked up by ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/38315/cooley-paul-and-the-redskins-te-situation

An interesting development, I'd say, given the Redskins' current tight end situation. The star of the group is Fred Davis, who was the Redskins' most dynamic receiving threat in 2011 before missing the final four games due to a drug suspension. The fan favorite is Chris Cooley, who missed 11 games with hand and knee problems and carries a $6.23 million cap figure for 2012. Adding Paul to the mix to see whether he can become a viable option is worthwhile both ways. With all of the new options at wide receiver, it's probably Paul's best way to try and make sure he has a spot on the team. And from the team's standpoint, if he shows he can play it, it allows the Redskins some flexibility in their decision-making with regard to Cooley.

The Redskins like Cooley and love to be able to run two-tight end sets that help set the perimeter for the offense. But they do have salary-cap concerns, in large part because they're losing $18 million in cap room each of the next two years as punishment from the league for their spending behavior in 2010, and $6.23 million is a lot for Cooley if he can't get on the field. They could ask him to take a pay cut or restructure, but their leverage in such a negotiation would be limited if they didn't have another option for replacing him. Cooley is also a candidate to be cut, in which case, obviously, the team would like to have replacement options.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

Fred is fine. Cooley on the other hand......

Cooley might have seen his last day as a Redskin, poster don't want to acknowledge it but he looked hobbled even when he was on the field last year. Love the guy, but sometimes between money and playing time, a team has to move on.

Archived