Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Space Shuttle Discovery Flying Into Dulles Tuesday

Gracelander

Edit: FinalBeast you just beat me to it! And that picture is way more awesome than the two I posted. That is so cool.

THIS thread is useless without pics :ols: can't believe no one has posted any. I'm in Blacksburg so I obviously didn't take these, but these are from two of my friends.

563686_10100912737059473_6210296_57048069_1441328485_n.jpg

581184_3191310261434_1226190196_45396242_873529898_n.jpg

For this, I'm like a 5. Maybe a 6 or 7 at most. But everyone is acting like this is a 9-10, and I don't really get it. It's definitely cool to see, our office is across the street from Dulles so we have a badass view... but I don't get the extent of the reaction that everyone is having. I totally get being excited, but I wouldn't have lined up Rt 28. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I could be accused of being "less romantic" than others...

This. I don't care enough to even look out the window. Everyone is running around "Did you see it!! Did you see it!! I saw it!!" **** off.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood

Whoa. Somebody took a **** in someone's cereal this a.m..

I'm not down on it or anything as much as GACOLB, but I definitely don't get the extent of the excitement. That said, I took some pretty poor pics. I'm sure others in the office have better ones, I'll get those from them later and post them.

IMG_0111.jpg

I know that "nasa" stopped manned missions to space, but I think we will see great advancement from private corporations getting more involved in space technology. Space exploration is by no means dead.

Private corporations don't spend billions and trillions of dollars doing things just to be doing them.

There's money to be made in launching satellites.

There's money to be made in giving millionaires 20 minute rides in an X-15.

There's (government) money, in sending people back and forth to the ISS. For a while.

There's no money in sending somebody to the Moon. Or Mars. Or actually building useful, manufacturing, bootstrap-possessing, work above the Earth's surface.

Private corporations don't spend billions and trillions of dollars doing things just to be doing them.

There's money to be made in launching satellites.

There's money to be made in giving millionaires 20 minute rides in an X-15.

There's (government) money, in sending people back and forth to the ISS. For a while.

There's no money in sending somebody to the Moon. Or Mars. Or actually building useful, manufacturing, bootstrap-possessing, work above the Earth's surface.

Competition breeds advances. I think the right corporations could compete with each other for space dominance. I see your point about them not being as interested in missions that won't necessarily yield financial incentive. However, I think that competition would advance the technology. We may see new inventions in how crafts are built, resources used to get us into space, and who knows, maybe they can help create a larger space station.

Competition breeds advances.

Oh, I agree.

Corporations competing to find cheaper ways of launching satellites will yield new technologies.

But I don't see that resulting in anything like the kind of space exploration that everybody I know simply took for granted on the 60s and 70s.

---------- Post added April-17th-2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

Wonder what's going to happen to the transporter plane, when they're done. Smithsonian?

Archived