Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Space Shuttle Discovery Flying Into Dulles Tuesday

Gracelander

In case this hasn't been posted before, the Space Shuttle Discovery will be flying over the DC area this Tuesday on it's way to Dulles. It'll be piggybacking on a 747. It will have it's final resting spot at the Smithsonian in Chantilly. I remember seeing this type of transport 20 something years ago and it was an incredible sight. If anybody knows of a good watching sight please post it here,

http://centreville.patch.com/articles/watch-as-space-shuttle-discovery-flies-to-dulles#youtube_video-9553248

NASA says that the best place to view Discovery's descent into the airport will be the parking lot of the Udvar-Hazy Center, though the actual touchdown will not be visible. The Smithsonian does charge a $15 fee for parking, though admission to the museum is free. The lot opens at 8 a.m.

No, the best place is up in the tower at the museum (outside of the Dulles tower). I was there just a couple of weeks ago. I bet that will be closed to VIP's.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm getting just a little choked up watching this. The space shuttle was a symbol of American ingenuity. It was our gateway to the great beyond when I was a kid. It's a shame that we've chosen not to pursue space for at least the next 5 years. Nothing inspires a nation more, IMHO, than going, well, there's no other way to say it....where no man has gone before.

Thanks Atlantis, Challenger (RIP), Columbia (RIP), Discovery and Endeavour. Your service to a grateful nation is most appreciated.

Anyone get pics? I hope so.

I'm sure there will be quite a few. It just passed over the Capitol Building not long ago. If someone gets one with the Capitol in the background, that will be my desktop for quite some time to come.

Also, this is one thread that I look forward to hearing from Larry and Corcaigh. Hope you'll share your thoughts, gents.

---------- Post added April-17th-2012 at 10:13 AM ----------

But screw you, Endeavour!

:ols:

My bad. Rushes to edit. :doh:

I don't agree that space exploration is as inspiring as you might think HH. Not these days anyway.

But it was really cool when we were all kids and teachers actually rolled out the TV to watch take-offs and landings. It was exciting.

I would love to see one actually flying. I have seen one in a museum years ago and we had a pilot come into one of my classes as a kid and explain a lot of cool stuff about the journeys.

I don't agree that space exploration is as inspiring as you might think HH. Not these days anyway.

You don't think the entire country would stop in its tracks to watch a moonbase being established? Or going from there to Mars? Yes, I admit that orbiting the earth has become "old hat" in some ways. But IMO, going forward and doing things that haven't been done before would still be ridiculously awe inspiring.

But it was really cool when we were all kids and teachers actually rolled out the TV to watch take-offs and landings. It was exciting.

I would love to see one actually flying. I have seen one in a museum years ago and we had a pilot come into one of my classes as a kid and explain a lot of cool stuff about the journeys.

I'm insanely jealous. I would love to shake the hand of someone who has been outside of our atmosphere, and have the opportunity to listen and/or ask questions. I don't think there was anyone who grew up in the 70's/80's who at some point didn't want to be an astronaut.

---------- Post added April-17th-2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

.....plus a nod to Enterprise for being the guinea pig. ;)

I suck at life, but I'm genuine in my sentiments. :ols:

Alright CNN airing shuttle radio

Touch down any sec now

---------- Post added April-17th-2012 at 10:34 AM ----------

After it lands you can't go inside the shuttle, and they took out stuff like the engines and other confidential stuff

Still cool to have it on display though, but am kind of dismayed you can't take a grand tour inside it

I'm insanely jealous. I would love to shake the hand of someone who has been outside of our atmosphere, and have the opportunity to listen and/or ask questions. I don't think there was anyone who grew up in the 70's/80's who at some point didn't want to be an astronaut.

As a 10-11 year old it was awesome. One of the neatest things he did was bring in an example of the shell of the shuttle. It seriously was as light as styrofoam, which none of us would have ever guessed back then. He talked about them putting up sats and at that time hinted at a possible space station...we were all sitting there with our jaws dropped. You have to think about some of the huge space movies and shows that were around back then. Cool experience.

Geez...everyone in my office is acting like a little girl over it. Up on the rooftops and cheering. You'd think we're back in the 60's or something.

It would be pretty cool to see. I remember when I saw a B-2 do a fly-by for the Coca-Cola NASCAR Race. It's pretty awesome and something I may never see again. Same as it would be to see the Shuttle, imo.

Geez...everyone in my office is acting like a little girl over it. Up on the rooftops and cheering. You'd think we're back in the 60's or something.

I'm a fan of space travel, and the space shuttles, and if this was the last shuttle launch I'd be super amped up, a 10 on a scale from 1-10.

For this, I'm like a 5. Maybe a 6 or 7 at most. But everyone is acting like this is a 9-10, and I don't really get it. It's definitely cool to see, our office is across the street from Dulles so we have a badass view... but I don't get the extent of the reaction that everyone is having. I totally get being excited, but I wouldn't have lined up Rt 28. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I could be accused of being "less romantic" than others...

Archived