Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

Cousins is an insurance policy in my mind. He was drafted to push RGIII so he isn't complacent. Also if you think about this it makes sense to take out an insurance policy on a Heisman Trophy winning QB considering the lack of success that the winner has had in the NFL over the last 70 years.

];8963928']I agree with you this time' date=' Jumbo, but you are forever a spokesman.[/quote']

If you mean what I think you mean, you're full of **** and have not read me carefully over the years in the stadium. You're seeing what you want to see. The people here who do kow would find the idea of me being a team spokesman laughable. Prior to this FO, the number of people who were sure several of us modding this site would be "fired" at one point or another for our criticisms or endorsements of the same, were significant. But "stupid" is what I usually castigate, on any topic, and it is usually the moves made by Redskins staff of course that people don't like that provokes that kind of response we so often label with terms like "flailing" spazzing" "dumb" etc. That's the nature of the beast and the venue. So when I go after that in harsh manner, some (like you here, apparently) assume what they assume about my stances without having read or properly comprehending what exactly I wrote. Even in this matter, I've stated a number of times there perfectly reasonable grounds on which to criticize the selection, just as there are to defend it. It's that type of call, as so many are. But in this case most of the "anti" crowd had been fairly dumb in argument. I also posted that I had originally wanted massie when they announced Cousins and aftwer re-examination and acquiring more info, I think I was lacking in that choice. Finally, don't ever call me a spokesman again. And I'm serious about that. :)

Unless of course Cousins is a good guy and helps Griffin out. Considering both guys are likely secure and confident people, the presence of another will be of little consequence.

That's the one scenario I can see that makes this a positive thing, but a couple of the analysts on ESPN pointed out that it's tough for a guy who's a natural leader to play the role of the quiet, non-threatening backup quarterback an by all accounts, Cousins is a good guy but also the sort that people naturally gravitate towards.

Okay, I get it. I just meant that both organizations are sending mixed messages by simultaneously supporting one QB while bringing in someone who may be viewed as a threat to him. I'll retract the Tebow comment. Wow...

I do stand by my questioning of the pick however, and the fact that rookie QBs need the support of their organizations and during his rookie year, while Rex is under contract, depth isn't such a glaring need.

Lots of ways to intelligently question the pick (or support it). Any argument that our choosing Cousins has anything to do in negative association with RG3 is baseless and absurd.

That's the one scenario I can see that makes this a positive thing, but a couple of the analysts on ESPN pointed out that it's tough for a guy who's a natural leader to play the role of the quiet, non-threatening backup quarterback an by all accounts.

If that's the case, then he needs to get over it, and worry about getting in the playbook, and bettering himself as a player. Most of the analysis has come from guys who played quarterback, and have found themselves in that situation, and probably didn't like it. Cousins may not like it either, but what he has to do is simply get better, and be ready. All QB's eventually get their opportunity, if they bust their asses, and stay patient/humble.

That's the one scenario I can see that makes this a positive thing, but a couple of the analysts on ESPN pointed out that it's tough for a guy who's a natural leader to play the role of the quiet, non-threatening backup quarterback an by all accounts, Cousins is a good guy but also the sort that people naturally gravitate towards.

This assumes Cousins is going to use his leadership skills in a selfish manner. But there is no need to assume so. He can accept his role here as the #2 like Matt Flynn and focus on improving his own game so he can be the guy elsewhere. By doing so, Cousins can use his leadership skills to reinforce RGIII's place on the team.

What matters is the Griffin-Cousins dyad moreso than anything else. If their relationship is amicable and harmonious, then there is no problem. In fact, they might enhance each other by analyzing each other's game and helping each other.

---------- Post added April-29th-2012 at 01:35 AM ----------

If that's the case, then he needs to get over it, and worry about getting in the playbook, and bettering himself as a player. Most of the analysis has come from guys who played quarterback, and have found themselves in that situation, and probably didn't like it. Cousins may not like it either, but what he has to do is simply get better, and be ready. All QB's eventually get their opportunity, if they bust their asses, and stay patient/humble.

Montana did not like it with Steve Young, but even so, Walsh was right in keeping both on the roster for the good of the team in the future, and Cousins is nowhere near a threat to RGIII that Young was to Montana. Hell, he might be just a Kolb we can swindle someone with, and RGIII is going to be much much better than that, for sure.

i dont agree with the line of thinking that 2 qb's will cause controversy and a negative environment. while true that it has the potential to do so, the same could happen at any point with a backup qb so i deem that line of thinking as negligible to the argument.

though i do not agree with it, i do understand if some think that a backup qb is not the proper use of our 4th rounder.

for me though, the positives outweigh the negatives here:

-i think we got great value

-cousins represents our best chance at gaining high draft picks over the next few years

-he is an excellent insurance policy to rg3

-he is a good qb prospect, has high character, and the potential to get better given enough time (which he will get)

-we know that rex is not the answer, so there is nothing wrong with attempting to improve this position

-i believe shanny has a goal and plan for cousins, and i think that will give cousin's purpose and direction.

and in conclusion, i'm just really glad we didnt draft brock osweiler.

I think the idea of a QB controversy PALES IN SIGNIFICANCE to the question of who you want to step in if RG3 gets injured.

What was true decades ago is still true today-- mobile QBs sound great at first but are always tempered by the risk of injury.

The bottom line is that Cousins was drafted in the 4th round. As a 4th rounder he would be drafted as a backup on most any team. It might be tough for the guy, but he's going to need to know his role and shut his mouth. RG3 is the franchise, Cousins is the backup. That's all there is to it.

I personally like having him as a backup. I liked him in the QB camp, and he is a 3 year captain with many MSU records (prototype Shanny pick). Rex Grossman is not a backup I want to keep around, so if Cousins can grow into the backup role I'll be happy. Not everybody gets to start in the NFL, and not every QB brought in starts a controversy.

The response from the media has been the usual hate filled BS. They got a franchise QB, bolstered the OL and LB corps as well as adding some competiton/depth for the secondary. All areas of need.

Maybe we could have done without another rookie QB or could have picked one up in later rounds but Shanahan and Allen obviously saw something they like. Cousins is a game manager and more often than not when you bring in your back up that is exactly what is required. Let's hope he only gets his experience in the 4th quarter when we've already put the game to bed!

Only 133 days to go until we pump the Saints on opening day, HAIL!

I think the question is will drafting cousins reveal anything in RG III that might make giving up the farm a huge mistake. I personally doubt it, but anything could happen.

Someone mentioned Shuler and Ferrete, does anyone believe Ferrotte had more tangibles than Shuler or did Shuler shrink under pressure. Maybe Shuler would have been better without having to look over his shoulder every second in the beginning. Maybe not. Again, we will see what RG III is really made of, and i guarantee that before the world see's any deficient character in him being competitive and shrinking under pressure, he will be moved. RG III looks like he will take on any challengers. We shall see.

WHO CARES WHAT THE TALKING HEADS SAY?

Does that affect on field performance? No. Ultimately it comes down to whether the team has talent and can play like a team.

Look at the jets, they have all the talent in the world but they 1. are missing a franchise qb and 2. they don't play like a team

the media is slamming this because its the redskins and its an easy story angle. If Bill Bellichick had done this they would be on their knees sobbing over what a brilliant pick it was

I knew the talking heads would attack us for it. Belichick drafts Mallett last year and it was a brilliant move. The Eagles draft Foles and there is no mention of it. If it had been the Skins they would have said why did they draft Foles when they could have kept Kolb.

And the whole tangent of how the selection somehow screws with RG3 needs to be abandoned by anyone who wishes their challenging of the pick to be regarded with credibility.

Agreeing with Jumbo here. Listen, if we hadn't had the cap money taken away, then we could have pursued a reasonable back up QB to compete with Grossman and maybe sit RGIII a year. (I say maybe, b ecause I think you draft a QB in the top ten he needs to start EARLY). We don't have the cash for a Veteran, and we have zero, absolutely zero faith in John Beck. People always accuse the Skins of never taking BPA, always drafting for need, and as a result their depth has been hurt. Now did I raise an eyebrow when we drafted a QB and ask why? Initially yea, i did, but the more I thought about it, the More i like this pick. It's very simple, if Cousins matures well in this system then we have a solid back up if something happens to RG III. If RG III doesn't grow as fast, but cousins is serviceable then we at least have ourselves covered without wasting money or more draft picks on a QB.

Furthermore, if both RG III and Cousins shine early in preseason, Maybe in a year or two we can parlay that 4th rounder we used into a couple of picks, maybe a 2nd and 3rfd, which IMO would make up for the loss of the fourth and then some. I like Cousins. If we hadn't been all over RGIII, I'd have liked this pick too. The truth is the NFL teams dropped the ball on Cousins, he's easily a 2nd or 3rd Round talent and now we've got the QB position locked up at least until CAP Hell is over right? That's a win imo, and we lock him up at a decent price so we can focus on putting other pieces around RGIII.

I really wish people would take the time to find out who Kirk Cousins is beyond the Michigan State QB before they start talking about " how he should act, or feel, or behave or what he's thinking." Comments like "he needs to shut up." do him a disservice.

All you have to do is read his comments after being selected to start and get a picture of what kind of player and teammate RGIII and the Redskins are getting.

Take some time and look it up and see. I know it's a lot easier to start blasting and have knee jerk reactions but if you don't know the man then you're comments lose validity because they don't apply to him as a person.

Cousins makes this team and RGIII better just by being on the team. What he brings may not show up in the game day stats, but it will on the practice field, the locker room, in the weight room and during the quarterback meetings and film room.

My initial reaction was shock because it isn't something you would expect a team to do. It's so out of the box that you can't help but have a hard time wrapping your head around it but then the shock wore off I just started laughing because Mike is a genius.

I was pumped to get RGIII but getting Cousins as well just has me giddy because what he'll bring to this team.

Check out the man and come back and tell me what you think.

I have been converted, though my knee-jerk reaction was one of horror:

In 2011 about 10 of the 32 teams started another QB due to injury. Some of those were playoff bound teams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/sports/football/quarterback-injuries-may-reshape-nfl-playoffs-nfl-fast-forward.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

So there is roughly a 31% chance, every year, that someone other than RGIII will be starting for the Redskins in some games in the next couple of years. Even if RGIII is everything we all hope and more.

That someone can be Rex, Beck or (insert Journeyman QB here), or it could be a good-if-not-elect QB who fell to us, who Shanallen evidently had rated much higher, who spends a couple of seasons holding a clipboard learning the system at Kyle's knee. Vs. Taking a WR receiver prospect or ILB who will struggle to make the team.

I like it. Understand the other side of the arguement. But I have come to like it.

The last time a team chose two qbs in the first 4 rounds (Walsh was a 1st round supplemental pick) for the cowboys in '89. Why was it a gray move for them but not for us.

Tired of hearing shuler and ferotte. It looked like a legit move to improve the qb depth and it seemed to work for the cowboys last time I checked

The last time a team chose two qbs in the first 4 rounds (Walsh was a 1st round supplemental pick) for the cowboys in '89. Why was it a gray move for them but not for us.

Tired of hearing shuler and ferotte. It looked like a legit move to improve the qb depth and it seemed to work for the cowboys last time I checked

Because the Cowboys silver looks like gray. Duhhhh.

Wasn't it just last year that the Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet in the fourth round when the still had massive needs at receiver and all over the defense? All you kept hearing was about "The Hooded Mastermind striking again." Most of the "analysts" and "experts" on ESPN use more emotion than logic to dictate their opinion. The "feel" like it was a bad idea. The facts are

- The likelihood of any 4th round pick sticking with the team and making an impact are minimal. Cousins will be our 3rd QB come training camp and will duke it out with Grossman as backup by then end of the year. If RG3 gets injured in the next 2-3 years and Cousins steps in for a few games and does well, we can easlily get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

This is a gamble like any draft pick. The redskins just saw a player on their board valued much higher than the pick and took him.

It probably wasn't considered a great move at the time.

Archived