Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to draft 2 QBs

Riggo-toni

OP got is fact totally wrong. Aaron Rogers was drafted in 2005 and Matt Flynn in 2008. They weren't drafted in the same year. And, they only drafted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn that year because Brett Favre got trade and they need a backup for the former backup.

I can understand drafting backup QB next year or later, but not the same year, especially when you already paid a high price for at that position. Cousins is not going to beat out Rex for #2. And, there's no guarantee we can turn Cousins into 1/2/3 pick later in a trade. The only way you get that is if Griffin turns into a establish all pro, Cousins comes in while Griffin is hurt and lights it up. With the little sample playing time, teams might take a chance, ala Kolbs. Those are some big what ifs...

OP got is fact wrong. Aaron Rogers was drafted in 2005 and Matt Flynn in 2008. They weren't drafted in the same year. And, they only drafted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn that year because Brett Favre got traded.

I can understand drafting backup QB next year or later, but not the same year, especially when you already paid a high price for one. Cousins is not going to beat out Rex for #2.

But Cousins wasn't going to be in next year's draft...and apparently Shanahan REALLY liked him. Take the chance when you can.

It a good call to get another QB because Grossman and Beck are horrible. Getting Cousins is an underrated move. QBs are important and shouldn't be a one-and-done position. Forget our mock drafts, depth at every position is needed. Bruce Allen is one smart GM. Believe.

I knew I was gonna get ripped in this thread...and I was also pretty confident it was gonna happen. Still, I thought it would wait until the 6th round or so.

Yeah, I thought we'd go in the 7th for our second QB.

However, Shanahan has said Cousins was too good to ignore in the 4th.

Getting 2 Qb's sits well with me.

If anything, this will motivate RGlll even more, to give it all he's got (not to imply that he won't already). It's basically insurance. It's a freaking 4th rounder. If he becomes something seriously legit, trade him in 3- 4 years for a 2nd-3rd round pick. All great teams need 2 QB's. We have (presumably) solved our QB position, one that has been beyond a weak spot, it's been a nasty, malicious, life sucking tumor for 15+ years, yet people are either miffed or pissed because we could've gotten someone else.

QB is the most important position, and we have addressed it, with an exclamation point. It is beyond retarded the way that the media is already playing up the "ZOMG, QB CONTROVERSY!!!" angle, after knob slobbing RGlll since October, on a historical scale, yet he's supposed to be worried about...Kirk Cousins.

*Edit, I'd rather have a legit QB controversy between two tough-minded and really good (hopefully) QB's who crave competition, than two sucky QB's, or no QB's at all. People are making it seeme like these guys will cry into their pillow at night. Sorry that we apparently didn't want to suck with John Beck and Rex Grossman as the backups.

Not sure why he drafted two QBs. I was liking when he drafted two guards, and then this. Maybe he sees Cousins as a backup.

No question Cousins will be a backup. This year, he'll be a backup backup. Instead, we could have use the pick on possibly a starter or part time player. Nothing stops us from drafting a backup QB the next or following years. It's not like we are SB contenders and have options to stockpile players. I have never seen a team drafted a franchise QB, and then, draft his backup the same year. Except for us, look how it turned out last time.

Why cant the Redskins ever have a franchise QB and not have a QB controversy???? I mean forreal this is the first time we can have a true QB of the future and we draft another QB in the same draft to cause drama. Its already the biggest debate topic of the draft. The Washington media will eat this up, its a distraction to our rookie star QB RG3, and it gives some clueless fans ammunition to start the "Cult of Cousins" thread! The move makes no sense what so ever!!

Why cant the Redskins ever have a franchise QB and not have a QB controversy???? I mean forreal this is the first time we can have a true QB of the future and we draft another QB in the same draft to cause drama. Its already the biggest debate topic of the draft. The Washington media will eat this up, its a distraction to our rookie star QB RG3, and it gives some clueless fans ammunition to start the "Cult of Cousins" thread! The move makes no sense what so ever!!

You echo my sentiments exactly. We are so invested in RG3. I don't need to remind everyone what we gave up for him. He is our guy no matter what. After drafting him and re-signing Grossman QB was probably the least important positions to address. And then we get Cousins, which adds debate and distraction like you mentioned. Horrible horrible pick.

It's only "drama" because the media, and some of us fans, are choosing to go that route. Ulltimately it's up to the two of them to decide whether it will be drama or not.

I'm still laughing my ass off at all the RGlll hype all year, Heisman winner, best prospect (along with Luck) in the last 10-15 years, yada yada yada) yet he could possibly be unseated by the infinitely talented Captain Kirk...

My next guess is that we will have a few journalists say that the racist part of Shanahan just couldn't let go, and he just absolutely had to take a white quarterback.

You echo my sentiments exactly. We are so invested in RG3. I don't need to remind everyone what we gave up for him. He is our guy no matter what. After drafting him and re-signing Grossman QB was probably the least important positions to address. And then we get Cousins, which adds debate and distraction like you mentioned. Horrible horrible pick.

It will only add debate and distraction to the morons of our area. There is a lot of them, I'll give you that.

But to the people who know what the plan is, there's no problem. We've upgraded our QB position for this team immensely. I'm failing to see the problem with that.

I get it but we have SO MANY OTHER NEEDS. WHY THIS EARLY.

It was probably a combination of a few things. For one, Cousins dropped further than expected. Many boards had him going in the 2nd round. Two, Cousins might have been on our radar before we even traded for Griffin or if we lost out on RG3. Third, maybe the Shanahans are more happy with our depth at certain positions than the fans are. I think the Shanahans liked Cousins and didn't expect him to be there in the 4th. I like the move. If there is an injury to Griffin, I'd feel better seeing Cousins step in than Grossman or Beck. Cousins could be a Todd Collins type of guy. I'm cool with it.

It's only "drama" because the media, and some of us fans, are choosing to go that route. Ulltimately it's up to the two of them to decide whether it will be drama or not.

I'm still laughing my ass off at all the RGlll hype all year, Heisman winner, best prospect (along with Luck) in the last 10-15 years, yada yada yada) yet he could possibly be unseated by the infinitely talented Captain Kirk...

My next guess is that we will have a few journalists say that the racist part of Shanahan just couldn't let go, and he just absolutely had to take a white quarterback.

There's a potential for controversy. If RG III comes in and lights it up, nobody will remember this day. If he struggles, gets hurt and Cousins lights it up in relief, houston, we have a problem. RG III should be given 4 years without the possibility of controversy. He didn't even get 2 days...

I knew I was gonna get ripped in this thread...and I was also pretty confident it was gonna happen. Still, I thought it would wait until the 6th round or so.

Remind me not to gamble with you. I didnt and dont agree with you but good call. HTTR.

There's a potential for controversy. If RG III comes in and lights it up, nobody will remember this day. If he struggles, gets hurt and Cousins lights it up in relief, houston, we have a problem. RG III should be given 4 years without the possibility of controversy. He didn't even get 2 days...

Yeah, that I can understand, you never know what the future will bring. I'll be honest though, after everything that we've been led to believe about RGlll, that won't happen, and if it does, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

At this moment, I will think on the positive side of the spectrum, and not go off the deep end. This was a very good move for the future, and for me, that's what this is all about, the future. I don't care what happens this season, as long as this team improves, and we keep building, and adding more pieces.

They'll make each other better, and in turn, they will help make the team better.

There's not going to be any controversy. One guy was drafted in the 4th round and the other guy got picked #2 overall. Griffin would have to be Ryan Leaf bad for a switch to be made. If that were to happen, then this pick will be 100% justified in my mind. However, I don't expect that to happen.

The only reservation I have about this pick, is that it was made with our 3rd pick of the draft. Considering we didn't have a 2nd and we only had one 3rd, I don't like it. I would have rather traded back and try and get him and someone else.

I honestly expect for us to trade him two or three years from now for a late round draft pick. For now. he serves as a decent enough backup and an insurance policy in the 1% chance Griffin is the biggest bust in the draft history.

I already envision everyone will run with this by Monday morning(they doing it already on the NFL Network and ESPN). It's definitely going to fuel another QB controversy.

How could it? One guy was picked with a single 4th and the other took 3 firsts and a second to pick.

Archived